PR to Citizen - Do I have to stay in Aus whilst applying?

EJMac

Hi, I was hoping for some advice from anyone who may have converted PR to citizen recently.

I am eligible to apply for citizenship in March this year after I have had PR for a year, been here over 4 years etc. My query is that I am planning on visiting the UK this July for a month or so, do I have to stay in the country until my application has been approved? If so is it likely to be completed by July (seems ambitious..)

If I have to wait I will just apply when I get back but would rather get my application in ASAP.

If anyone has been through this process recently I would appreciate any insight, thanks!

2 hours ago, EJMac said:

Hi, I was hoping for some advice from anyone who may have converted PR to citizen recently.

I am eligible to apply for citizenship in March this year after I have had PR for a year, been here over 4 years etc. My query is that I am planning on visiting the UK this July for a month or so, do I have to stay in the country until my application has been approved? If so is it likely to be completed by July (seems ambitious..)

If I have to wait I will just apply when I get back but would rather get my application in ASAP.

If anyone has been through this process recently I would appreciate any insight, thanks!

You're looking at closer to 2 years, Council dependent. 

My query is that I am planning on visiting the UK this July for a month or so, do I have to stay in the country until my application has been approved? 

No, but unless there are exceptional circumstances you must be in Australia for it to be processed.

9 minutes ago, wrussell said:

My query is that I am planning on visiting the UK this July for a month or so, do I have to stay in the country until my application has been approved? 

No you don’t. 

Where did you read the bit you quoted? It isn’t correct AFAIK. You must be in Australia for the application to be approved, but you don’t need to be in Australia for the entire processing period.

3 hours ago, EJMac said:

You don’t have to stay in the country until the application is approved. You should apply now.

The application wont be approved whilst you are in the UK, but based on current timing guidelines, it is likely that it wouldn’t be ready to be approved at that time.

Thanks everyone for your responses, really appreciate it!

I thought by July would be ambitious but 2 years is a bit of a blow! I was hoping to get the citizenship then maybe go and work in America for a year or so, we'll have to see now.

I will get my application in and see how it goes, thanks again for your help.

You can definitely leave. Jut make sure you lodge your application in Australia and while you are away, it will not be considered. They will only move on it while you are onshore. 

As said above, make sure you have plenty of time on your right to return on your PR visa, although if it was only granted in March, you should be fine because they usually come with a 5 year travel facility. 

In terms of a 2 year process, it might be... BUT, it seems to depend entirely on where in Australia you are located. I became a citizen on Wednesday and my process was 5 months, from lodgement to the ceremony, so I'd take any suggested timelines with a pinch of salt, but be aware that you might have a really short wait, all the way up to the 2 years quoted. No one really knows. 

Good luck. 🙂

• Congratulations 1

5 hours ago, annagilda said:

They will only move on it while you are onshore. 

I'm not sure it is true that they will only process it while you are onshore, although you need to be in Australia to sit the citizenship test. They will certainly only approve it while you are onshore.

Edited by DIG85

On 28/01/2022 at 08:48, EJMac said:

I thought by July would be ambitious but 2 years is a bit of a blow! I was hoping to get the citizenship then maybe go and work in America for a year or so, we'll have to see now.

2 years sounds over the top although as others have said it would depend where you are based. I am in city of Sydney and applied 31-May-2021, just did the test on 4-Feb-2022 and had application approved - now it's a just waiting game for the ceremony which they say "Generally, the citizenship ceremony will be scheduled within six months from the time your application is approved although waiting times can vary."

Hope that may be useful in some way. Good luck!

18 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

WRussell is a migration agent so if he says it’s true, it’s true. 

I have also seen it stated many times on the forums

Repetition doesn't mean something is right, though. 

Professionals aren't always correct, either. I have seen more than one response to finance/tax questions from professionals on this forum which I have been absolutely certain were wrong.

No one is right 100% of the time, even in their own field.

The only thing that is known for sure is that citizenship applications are not approved whilst the applicant is offshore (except in the most limited of circumstances which to all intents and purposes don't apply to the average person).

Edited by DIG85

12 hours ago, DIG85 said:

Repetition doesn't mean something is right, though. 

Professionals aren't always correct, either. I have seen more than one response to finance/tax questions from professionals on this forum which I have been absolutely certain were wrong.

No one is right 100% of the time, even in their own field.

The only thing that is known for sure is that citizenship applications are not approved whilst the applicant is offshore (except in the most limited of circumstances which to all intents and purposes don't apply to the average person).

Believe what you want dude, but its true. Whether you want to split hairs or not. 

2 hours ago, NicF said:

Including by yourself.  Where do DIBP state that they do keep processing citizenship applications while you are out of the country?

Where do they state that they don’t?

The onus is on the person making the claim.

Edited by DIG85

If an applicant is offshore when lodging a citizenship application a warning appears.

Children can be offshore for citizenship processing to continue and under special conditions a few others.

To know more ask Mr Google, or call the citizenship 'help' line. If you decide on the  latter, make several enquiries and select the answer that best suits you.