Are iPhones cheaper to buy in Australia or UK and how can I keep my UK number

carly baker

Hi

I want to get a new iPhone soon, looking at the iPhone 13, should I buy before i go from Apple £779 or will i get cheaper or more expensive in Austrlia. Also my contract with 3 ends just before I leave mid March, how can i keep my UK number, I have looked at companies that port numbers through an app, has anyone done this or is there an easier option. I will get an Oz number and contract but want to keep my current number as its linked to my banks for security codes etc

Any help much appreciated x

I’ve found that apple products are cheaper in Australia but I’ve not done the comparison and taken off the vat if you claim it back when you leave. But I’ve always bought outright rather than on a contract, I haven’t compared relative contracts but my impression is that equivalent Aus contracts may be more expensive, you’d have to search that. 

I signed up with Virgin on their lowest plan which is around £7 a month and I hang onto that, just make sure my bank account is charged up but talk to your provider and tell them you want to hang on to the number as cheaply as possible. When doing the reverse I found that Vodafone here in Aus had a very cheap 365 day account, Vodafone U.K. may have the same.   Before that though, I had a pay as you go arrangement and as long as I sent a text every 6 months it kept current. I also keep my U.K. sim in my old phone so I don’t have to chop and change.

I talked to my bank (in person) before I left, gave them an Aus address and an Aus phone number. Haven’t needed it thus far (touch wood) and I see that my bank put out a general notice saying they needed a U.K. number - will deal with that one when I come to it. I had more trouble when in U.K. with one of my Aus banks which couldn’t handle a foreign phone number! 

Edited by Quoll

15 hours ago, carly baker said:

Hi

I want to get a new iPhone soon, looking at the iPhone 13, should I buy before i go from Apple £779 or will i get cheaper or more expensive in Austrlia. Also my contract with 3 ends just before I leave mid March, how can i keep my UK number, I have looked at companies that port numbers through an app, has anyone done this or is there an easier option. I will get an Oz number and contract but want to keep my current number as its linked to my banks for security codes etc

Any help much appreciated x

An Iphone 13 is currently $1348 over here. I bought our daughter one from JB Hi Fi for xmas she has a cheap $40 pr month plan but it doesn't include the phone. The only place they may be cheaper is on line with Kogan but last time hubby bought one from there it wasn't new, just reconditioned.

Cal x

10 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Apple tend to fix prices globally so little in it. I still have a Tesco sim after 7 years that I can top up. Don’t use it as most banks will send to Oz phone Nationwide doesn’t but I can use a card reader for that. They send new cards to Oz. 

Thanks that’s great, I did think this but I have rang theee who we are currently with and they said I can’t keep my number past 60days so I may have to move to another provider but I thought pay as you go was the thing to do 

1 hour ago, carly baker said:

Thanks that’s great, I did think this but I have rang theee who we are currently with and they said I can’t keep my number past 60days so I may have to move to another provider but I thought pay as you go was the thing to do 

If you haven't, change it to a payg sim only. We've had ours close to 5 years now. Apple do the educational discount for anyone with a edu.au email address.