MOVING FROM UK / FINANCIAL BREAKDOWN- PLAESE HELP

Dean7133

Hi ,

I'm wondering if anyone could help with the below ?

my wife and I are nearing the final stages of the visa process and looking to move to the Sunshine Coast from the UK.

we started the visa process nearly 2 years ago and quite a lot has changed in this time , we’re now having to lend more money for our mortgage due to the property boom over this time.

I’ve calculated the outgoings below and just need to make sure we will be comfortable as this is a life changing decision for us as I’m sure you can appreciate.

we will be coming out on a 190 visa.

my wife is a nurse and will be working in Aged Care, I  understand that she can salary sacrifice a proportion of her wages and also we would be entitled to child care subsidy. I’m not entirely sure how this works so if anyone could help or add to things so we can get a realistic figure that would be extremely helpful

my estimated figures are below.

WIFES SALARY ; $75,000

MY SALARY ; $40,000

TOTAL INCOME $115,000 - $8000 remaining after tax

Monthly Outgoings ;

Mortgage $3000

Child Care $1600

Council Tax $200

Electric $160

Home Insurance $140

Internet $80

Groceries $300

Phones Combined ; 80

Fuel $200 

Car Insurance $140

TOTAL $5900 / Remaining $2100 

Unless you are both going to be living in walking distance of your employment your fuel will be more than $200 a month (especially if running two cars and/or one on public transport)

You also don't have car payments in that list, so unless you are planning to buy a car outright (and hence it won't be in your monthly outgoings) you will need to add that (maybe twice if you need two cars)

Your other issue may be getting a mortgage (big enough to require $3000 a month repayments) with those salaries (base don what you propse your repayments will be) unless you have a decent deposit.

If you have $150 AUD as a deposit NAB would allow you to borrow $525K (based on $115 income and $2900 expenses a month) which is only $2,000 in repayments (but limits your house purchase price to $650K) - remember stamp duty and fees also need to paid (on a $650k house this would be nearly $20K)

If you have $250K AUD as a deposit they let you borrow more - up to $800K (and this is $3000 a month in repayments) however now stamp duty etc would be $35k on the maximum $1m house price

Of course other banks have other products, but this gives you an idea of what might be possible depending on how much your deposit can be.

https://www.nab.com.au/personal/home-loans/calculators/borrowing-calculator

Edited by Ausvisitor
  • Congratulations 1

55 minutes ago, Dean7133 said:

We will have $430,000 deposit available may be more but have worked on the lower end of the selling price for our property in the UK.

Mortgage is based on a 2.7% interest rate with max lending of 1 million. 

Cool, should be fine then. The mortgage lending rules seem to be a little different in AUS to the UK 3/4/5 times salary, they take much more notice of deposit amount and committed outgoings then the UK (although the UK is going that way to).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be worried having such a high mortgage payment on your annual salaries. I think it will be a struggle.

If one or other of you lose your job, you will not be able to maintain your repayments and could even lose your house.

It might be better to rent for a few years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Parley said:

I would be worried having such a high mortgage payment on your annual salaries. I think it will be a struggle.

If one or other of you lose your job, you will not be able to maintain your repayments and could even lose your house.

It might be better to rent for a few years.

With the deposit they have , they should only need a small mortgage to buy a nice house in Sunny Coast if they select their area carefully. Of course if they want Millionaires row in Noosa or Mooloolaba or a Mc manshion on the river it would cost more but a simple 4 bed brick lowset can cost around the Hi 5's - $6  upwards..

Cal x

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Ken said:

Really? Most people I know don't have it - even some who I recommend to get it because they're having to pay the surcharge.

Every single time I go to the doctors, dentist, massage therapist, reflexology, acupuncturist, herbalist, naturopath, they all think it odd that I don't have it, as 99% of their patients do.

21 minutes ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Every single time I go to the doctors, dentist, massage therapist, reflexology, acupuncturist, herbalist, naturopath, they all think it odd that I don't have it, as 99% of their patients do.

For those it would be Extras Cover. I was thinking of Hospital Cover. Yes, more people do have Extras Cover (which has nothing to do with exempting you from MLS) than have Hospital Cover.

• Like 1

45% of the Australian population have hospital cover - an extraordinarily high figure for a country with a universal healthcare system, but unsurprising when the tax system effectively allows you to opt out of tax by taking out PMI.

In the UK only 13% have PMI.

Edited by DIG85

18 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

45% of the Australian population have hospital cover - an extraordinarily high figure for a country with a universal healthcare system, but unsurprising when the tax system effectively allows you to opt out of tax by taking out PMI.

In the UK only 13% have PMI.

Prior to the introduction of Medicare's predecessor (Medibank) in 1975, 77.5% of the Australian population had hospital cover. It had steadily declined to 30% before the Medicare Levy Surcharge was introduced but then jumped up to the current level.

• Like 1