Moving back to the UK with teenagers

Lovetoteach

We had planned to move back to the UK in 2020 barring disaster . We had a small window of opportunity to move with our children who were aged 18, 13 and 12 without messing up their education. Unfortunately two disasters hit us in 2020 Covid and some personal difficulties which has meant that window of time has gone. We are still keen to move and so are the youngest two, oldest is settled here now. The problem is our youngest 2 are now 15 and almost 14 and would be in GCSE years. I have found out that the only way to move the children now without an adverse effect on their education would be to place them in an international school with small class sizes and the option to complete GCSEs over a year. Sadly we can’t  afford this option as it looks like £15000+ per child a year. Does anyone know of a different option? I know it’s not looking good and looks likely we will be in Australia for the next 10 years if not forever. 

Basically schools I have contacted have told me that they won’t put kids back a year and that the oldest would only have 3 months to complete her GCSEs before the start mock exams. I was told she would be unlikely to pass any in such a short time. I have also been told you can’t do A-levels without GCSEs. 

15 minutes ago, Lovetoteach said:

Basically schools I have contacted have told me that they won’t put kids back a year and that the oldest would only have 3 months to complete her GCSEs before the start mock exams. I was told she would be unlikely to pass any in such a short time. I have also been told you can’t do A-levels without GCSEs. 

So what would they do if she failed?  Force her to leave school?  Surely not. 

I wonder what they do with children who arrive in the UK ready to enter their final year of school.  Do they just refuse them an education?

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

I'm sure there is a solution - schools must be taking kids of this age all the time.  Maybe look at Tech Colleges (or whatever the equivalent) but talk to the local education department, if a child is within the mandatory school age they cannot deny them an education. Pretty sure that international students arrive just to do A levels.  If all else fails, write to your MP.  

I would be actually talking to folk on the phone rather than relying on emails or text messages too, then you can ask to go up the chain until you get to a real decision maker - if you've approached the school by email you may have got the school secretary who may not have been on top of all the implications.

• Like 2

If your oldest would only have 3 months before GCSEs finish I'd just skip it and send her off to the local 6th form college or technology college the following school year to do some GCSEs.  It's a long time since but I had a friend who did badly in her GCSEs and redid them at the local technical college in a year.  Your eldest could potentially do the same.  She would only need to do what ever the minimum was to then do A levels or what ever she wants to do (BTEC could be a possibility as well).  It all feels like it's critical to get a good education and get it now but to be honest it's not the end of the world of they don't get all the results you would like right now.  As long as they can get what they need to do what they want to do next the qualifications they do or don't get at 16 will be irrelevant by the time they are in their 20s.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NicF said:

If your oldest would only have 3 months before GCSEs finish I'd just skip it and send her off to the local 6th form college or technology college the following school year to do some GCSEs.  It's a long time since but I had a friend who did badly in her GCSEs and redid them at the local technical college in a year.  Your eldest could potentially do the same.  She would only need to do what ever the minimum was to then do A levels or what ever she wants to do (BTEC could be a possibility as well).  It all feels like it's critical to get a good education and get it now but to be honest it's not the end of the world of they don't get all the results you would like right now.  As long as they can get what they need to do what they want to do next the qualifications they do or don't get at 16 will be irrelevant by the time they are in their 20s.

This advice is spot on. Also, I am pretty sure you can enrol for A levels without GCSEs, again at a college.  A transcript of academic results/school reports should be sufficient evidence to any more selective institutions whether your children have the requisite up top to make a good fist of A levels. 

• Like 1

Have a look on the Gov.UK website, education & learning.  

When I explored this a few years ago I went to the local college and my son could have gone there to do his GCSE’s.  He could also have applied to do an apprenticeship and alongside that you also do GCSE Maths & English.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, robswife said:

Have a look on the Gov.UK website, education & learning.  

When I explored this a few years ago I went to the local college and my son could have gone there to do his GCSE’s.  He could also have applied to do an apprenticeship and alongside that you also do GCSE Maths & English.  

I re did my english gcse at a college, but this was years ago. There were all sorts of ages in that exam. I was 25. Some were teenages, others in their 50s, all doing different pathways at the college. I Did it as part of the access to nursing course. 😊

• Like 1

A lot will also depend on their academic ability, willingness to put in extra study (theirs not yours!) and what type of career they aspire to. Getting some careers advice would be a good start. As mentioned GCSEs are not the only route forward.

Also do you have citizenship? Is the 18 year old staying or returning to UK?