Como Pleasure Grounds

BeachBabe2022

They're called "tidal",  but remember, they're on the river, not the sea.   The sea flows into the estuary at high tide, but it mixes with the river water, so it can be pretty murky.  I've never fancied swimming there for that reason.

However, Como is still worth a visit - not for the baths, but for the pub.  The Como Hotel is a lovely old building.  The restaurant is on the upper level with a spectacular view over the river from the balconies and deck.  

Rather than driving all the way round to Como, you can park in Oatley and walk across the old bridge (though Google it first, as it's sometimes closed for maintenance).  

http://visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/como-bridge.html

Before you leave Oatley, check out the local shopping strip (it's at the clock tower).  There used to be a fantastic local butcher, a lovely fruit shop and a good deli.

Edited by Marisawright

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

They're called "tidal",  but remember, they're on the river, not the sea.   

However, Como is still worth a visit - not for the baths, but for the pub.  The Como Hotel is a lovely old building.  

Rather than driving all the way round to Como, you can park in Oatley and walk across the old bridge (though Google it first, as it's sometimes closed for maintenance).  

Many thanks for your useful and excellent tips

Lived in Sydney for over 20 years, and have never actually heard of Como and Oatley before today.

Given there are around 670 suburbs in Sydney, probably quite a few more I am unaware of 

Accidently found Como online this AM, when I was looking for new swimming areas to try. Not sure that tidal area sounds too inviting after your description though 

The pub looks good - will have to check it out. I adore those old sandstone colonial style buildings. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeachBabe2022 said:

Accidently found Como online this AM, when I was looking for new swimming areas to try. Not sure that tidal area sounds too inviting after your description though 

I understand. I lived in the Eastern Suburbs for 17 years and large swathes of Sydney were virtually unknown to me.  As far as I was concerned, civilization stopped somewhere around Annandale to the west and Maroubra to the south. It was only when I met my second husband that I discovered new areas, mainly because we wanted to buy a home together and we couldn't afford the Eastern Subs.  We lived in Five Dock for a while which was unexpectedly lovely, but there were suburbs not too distant that I would not have touched with a bargepole.  We then moved to Oatley which I loved, but I would've hated to live in many of the suburbs round about - not because they were violent or rough, but because they were incredibly dull.

Edited by Marisawright