Applying for two visas at the same time

saucer67

Hi 

I applied for my return resident visa back in October I don't meet the automatic requirements so that's why it hasn't been processed.

I just wondering if I could apply for a 417 work holiday visa at the same time as this one is more likely to get processed quicker and would allow me to go to Australia. Then the 155 RRV would be processed and sent back to me whilst I'm in Australia.

Is this possible to apply for two visas at the same time?

5 minutes ago, saucer67 said:

Oh didn't realise they weren't being issued thought they were added to the list of approved visas. I've seen people have been applying for them and the global processing times seem like you could get them back quickly. Is that not the case?

My understanding is that they’re processing the huge backlog of applications made during the shutdown, and they only started doing that just before Christmas so it will take a long time for processing times to reduce.

6 hours ago, saucer67 said:

Hi 

I applied for my return resident visa back in October I don't meet the automatic requirements so that's why it hasn't been processed.

I just wondering if I could apply for a 417 work holiday visa at the same time as this one is more likely to get processed quicker and would allow me to go to Australia. Then the 155 RRV would be processed and sent back to me whilst I'm in Australia.

Is this possible to apply for two visas at the same time?

I’d take professional advice before doing this.  It may cause problems with your RRV.  I’m not sure how long the RRV takes if you don’t meet automatic requirements (assume you’re confident you will get one) but my son got a five year one towards the end of last year and his was granted within a week.  He did meet the requirements but it shows there isn’t a backlog.  It may be worth just hanging on a bit longer but certainly don’t just apply for another visa before being sure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Not going to get a WHV now as they’re not being issued. By the time they’re available your RRV  will likely have come through 

On the contrary … they are desperate for backpackers to come and do backpacker jobs. 

4 hours ago, welljock said:

Would it not be a big risk that the WHV would replace the current PR visa and therefore the RRV could be rejected as no PR visa is in place?

There is already ‘no pr visa in place’ which is why the OP is applying for an RRV. 

6 hours ago, saucer67 said:

applied for my return resident visa back in October I don't meet the automatic requirements so that's why it hasn't been processed.

These types of application generally take around 12 weeks to process, so you should get a decision fairly soon. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

my son got a five year one towards the end of last year and his was granted within a week.  He did meet the requirements but it shows there isn’t a backlog.  It may be worth just hanging on a bit longer but certainly don’t just apply for another visa before being sure. 

If you meet the requirements it's very quick.  If you don't, I think the official wait time is 3 months but some people have waited a lot longer.

6 hours ago, paulhand said:

On the contrary … they are desperate for backpackers to come and do backpacker jobs.

They are probably going to use them to replace the unvaxed/covid affected teachers. Fortunately education is not considered critical/essential services. Well certainly not for visa granting. 

• Like 2

Yeah I don't have a PR visa thats why I've applied for a RRV visa. I've just seen the news that the VAC will be refunded on the WHV if you arrive between now and the end of April. I'm just hoping that I get a answer for this application. The reason I don't meet the automatic requirements is because Ieft Australia when I was younger due to my father passing away whilst I lived in Australia. I then had to move back to the UK as my Mother needed to be with her family. My sister was born in Australia.  I haven't been able to go back as I was too young and didn't have the finances. I now do and hopefully am able to return.

Edited by saucer67

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I thought you had to be a permanent resident to have a resident return visa??

It's very confusing, isn't it?   On the one hand, we all talk about it being just the travel facility on your PR visa that expires, and you can revive it by applying for a RRV.   However the actual law isn't as straightforward as that, judging by some of the things the migration agents say.  

32 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

It's very confusing, isn't it?   On the one hand, we all talk about it being just the travel facility on your PR visa that expires, and you can revive it by applying for a RRV.   However the actual law isn't as straightforward as that, judging by some of the things the migration agents say.  

Yes, the whole visa thing makes my head spin.