Vetassess technical interview . Electrician

Joey190

Thought id put a post up on what to expect from the vetassess technical interview for electricians ( general ) . As i was sh×tting myself trying to find any information on what to revise / what they will ask etc . All i found was everyone asking the same question and no one replying so here i go . 

To start off im a electrician from the uk and i completed my apprenticeship in 2010 . So i had not been in any situation where i was tested on my electrical theory , ( which i was never great at when i was doing my apprenticeship ) so i was really nervous . 

I did this in covid times( i actually had covid at the time so i was self isolating ) so it was all on skype ( adobe ) . 

So the questions were pretty simple . 

A few multiple choice and some just straight up . 

Off the top of my head i remember 

× A couple on - identifying risks 

× A couple on - safe isolation ( revise this because there are way more steps in oz than there was the AM2 ) 

X A couple on cable selection - ( but really easy , no calculator needed , just as well because you arnt allowed to have ANYTHING in the room other than yourself and a glass of water )  

X a couple on cable protection ( name something you could use to protect a cable from mechanical damage ? ) hd conduit .. simple 

× a couple on rcds ( describe the operation ) 

× one was showing you a analog megger and it was set on 500v dc ir test and he just asked what the tester was set on . 

Then asked what the purpose of the ir test is . 

× then name the tests you need to perform on a new installation ( didnt even need to explain them ) 

× burnt out connection on red phase on a motor terminal . What could be the cause ? 

× then a couple on a dol starter . ( what does it stand for . How would i add another emergency stop button etc ) 

Only one i struggled on was he showed me a wiring diagram of a dol starter ( with symbols that were numbered ) and he asked me what each number was . 

Because like most things really , i just got shown how to wire one and just remembered from there , never looked at the wiring diagram or symbols . 

So nothing too technical. Hope this helps . Good luck 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Joey, I done my trade test in March 2020 with vetassess, all good!

I had to do a practice test, safe isolation, wire a DOL starter, technical interview and a 30 multiple choice exam.

just wondering if this was the same for you during Covid.

TBH English language test was harder…….

hopefully good news soon with borders opening 

baz 

• Like 1