Salaries

Daffyduck

Hi again all,

I'll apologise in advance as I'm aware I'm asking lots of questions and being a bit of an information leech. Also, this question probably comes up a lot but circumstances change and the information online is extremely variable.

We're progressing our move and my wife has a solid offer and I have a fairly solid one. The salaries are 130-140 & 70-80 respectively. Is this enough to live comfortably? 

Initially I thought it was but I'm reading a lot of stuff online that says you need to be earning 250k+ to live comfortably. Seems a lot to me so thought I'd seek out some first hand opinions.

TIA

One of those piece of string questions (what does comfortanle mean to you?) but a combined income of $200k give or take is not going to be baked beans on toast territory.

Do those salaries include Superannuation? If so, then you'll be taking home quite a bit less (employers often include super to make the figures look better).

School education is going to cost you $5.5k pa for the first child and less 10% for subsequent kids. On a temporary visa you aren't going to get any benefits for child care so bank  on probably around $500 a week for that if you have under school age kids. It'll all mount up but you should have enough to run two cars, have the odd holiday and go out for dinner every now and again.

Obviously if you rent a place that is going to cost $1k a week then your budget is not going to go as far as renting a place for half that but rent is going to take the biggest slice of your income so work out what percentage you can manage. 

Come prepared with a nice chunk of savings because setting up, buying cars, insurances etc etc can take a substantial chunk before you start and you don't want to start out behind as it can be a chore to get ahead. 

• Thanks 1