How to get a reference from current employer for skills assessment without losing job?

JamesB23

I'm close to applying for my ACS skills assessment, I've got my reference from my previous employer along with my bank statement/tax records. All that's left is to get the reference from my current job which I hadn't even considered until now. Coincidentally I am actually looking for a new job currently but I'm not actually looking to leave the UK for a year or two depending on how long my 190 will take. How do I get proof of my experience at my current job without them getting the idea i'm leaving? Should I be concerned about losing my job if I ask them? Should I perhaps just wait until I have a new job before I ask for a reference?

These days you don't usually get a letter from employers which is your reference to hand around.

Typically these days all you do is have a section in your CV called Referees. List 2 referees with their job title and phone number.

I thought written reference letters went out in the 80s. But maybe I'm wrong. People are reluctant usually to put thjngs in writing anyway.

Edited by Parley

12 minutes ago, Parley said:

These days you don't usually get a letter from employers which is your reference to hand around.

However you can still get a letter confirming that you were employed by that company from x to y date, with no comment on the quality of your work, which I thought was what the OP needs.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

However you can still get a letter confirming that you were employed by that company from x to y date, with no comment on the quality of your work, which I thought was what the OP needs.

Yes true. Most companies of a reasonable size will have their HR team do their own probity check when offering a job to a newby. They will contact employers themselves.

There have been too many publicised examples of people faking qualifications and work history. 

10 hours ago, Parley said:

Typically these days all you do is have a section in your CV called Referees. List 2 referees with their job title and phone number.

I thought written reference letters went out in the 80s. But maybe I'm wrong. People are reluctant usually to put thjngs in writing anyway.

They are required for the OP’s skills assessment.  Some employers can be troublesome in this respect. 

I suppose it depends on your employer but could you be truthful about the reason for the reference, while being less forthcoming about your timeframe? 

Talk to them about how you intend to move to Australia at a non specific time in the distant future, lament the fact that Covid has made it very difficult and the process can take years (technically not a lie), you have no intention of going any time soon (also true) but you’re going to get the ball rolling now so it can process in the background over the next few years. Then tell a white lie about how you love your current job so much you might end up staying anyway but it’s good to have options etc and it might never happen anyway. 

They might not believe you and pass you over for career progression, but you’re leaving anyway so who cares. At least you get an accurate reference in your pocket and they might even surprise you and be supportive.

• Like 1

I tried different things with my employer but they refused to give me the type of reference ACS requires. So this is what I did and it worked for me but not saying it will for everyone.

1. Got the generic reference letter on company letter head with my role and dates of employment/salary. This is something all employers give for mortgage/employment reference etc.

2. Got my manager to write a reference on a plain paper detailing my role as required by ACS with his business card. 

We submitted both the above together and all my 6 years (my experience at that time) was assessed as relevant by ACS. I wasn't asked for any additional documents. When I told my agent  that I was struggling to get the reference from my employer, they suggested this as an option and luckily it worked for me. 

• Like 1

I lied and said I had the opportunity to apply for a temporary work placement for a couple of weeks which would teach me new skills. I prewrote a template of what I needed and sent it over for it to be produced on letterhead and signed. 

I felt bad lying to my boss but felt I needed to protect myself. They didn’t bat an eyelid or question it but that might have been because in my field (psychology) work enhancing training and placements aren’t unusual so try and think of an excuse that is believable :) 

What I did many moons ago is I told my boss that I needed those letters for me to be eligible for an IT Certification.

That one is partly true though as that particular certification requires proof that I have been working in the field for a few years before they allow people to take the test. Except they would normally accept just the usual employment certificate with dates and job title and not necessarily  the detailed Roles and responsibilities. I did end up submitting the same documents and took the test anyway.

22 hours ago, FirstWeMeet said:

What I did many moons ago is I told my boss that I needed those letters for me to be eligible for an IT Certification.

That one is partly true though as that particular certification requires proof that I have been working in the field for a few years before they allow people to take the test. Except they would normally accept just the usual employment certificate with dates and job title and not necessarily  the detailed Roles and responsibilities. I did end up submitting the same documents and took the test anyway.

I tried the same and my company still refused to give such a letter :). I had to go a little creative with the help of my agent.