tina1606

PTE/IELTS with dyslexia

Hello all, 

I woupd love some advise 🙂 My partner is very worried about the English exam. He has dyslexia (not diagnosed) and we are trying to decide which English exam is better for someone who has dyslexia.

What are your opinions please?

1 hour ago, tina1606 said:

Hello all, 

I woupd love some advise 🙂 My partner is very worried about the English exam. He has dyslexia (not diagnosed) and we are trying to decide which English exam is better for someone who has dyslexia.

What are your opinions please?

It would be better if diagnosed as they give dispensation for it.

20 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

It would be better if diagnosed as they give dispensation for it.

Really? All I've heard is that they give a little longer time and a supervised break 🤔

18 hours ago, tina1606 said:

Really? All I've heard is that they give a little longer time and a supervised break 🤔

The tests are difficult because the person writing them is under time pressure to process the question and formulate the answer, so extra time is a huge benefit.

Both PTE and IELTS rely heavily on sentence construction, spelling correctness and reading multiple choice and long form questions, none of which is easy for a dyslexic. Practice is the best option so he is aware of the format and types of questions that are typically asked.

I've said it before, IELTS is not an easy test to get "superior" score on, I've got a masters and missed the 8+ on each section the first time I did it (mainly because I presumed I couldn't fail it as I was English and had a masters in English). Prepare and learn the things they are looking out for and you will have no issue, try to rationalise whether or not how it works is correct and you won't get the marks you need. There are loads of free resources on the internet (youtube) - you really shouldn't need the "paid for" lessons but if you want to spend more cash on the migration process no one will stop you 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1