Is it still worth it

Ruth1

23 hours ago, Bulya said:

Private schools here don’t have the stigma they do in the U.K. and here in the ACT more then 30% of students attend private schools…

I don't think private schools have any more of a stigma in the UK. The reason more parents send their kids to private schools in Australia is because they are more affordable (due to government subsidies voted through by all the old boys in Parliament) than in the UK. It's not because in the UK lots of parents who can afford them are choosing not to send their children.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Thing being of course, that some just don't find the country to their liking. That could be for numerous reasons, some very valid, others a more personal take on findings. 

Poms just won’t move around, and consequently they never get to find the right part of Australia.  Very strange behaviour indeed. 

On 09/01/2022 at 03:24, armada said:

Hi Ruth, just a bit of positive encouragement - myself, my husband and my pre-school child moved here in September 2021 and are loving it. Despite it being a long-held dream of mine, we still had reservations up until we got out of quarantine! But the alternative was to raise a family in a society that continues to vote in right-wing disaster capitalists who are hell-bent on dismantling anything that does not enrich them. Australia may have it's own issues in this regard but it doesn't suffer from a class system like in the UK and is all the better for it. 

I also work in healthcare and the pay and conditions at my particular hospital you could only dream of back home in the UK. It's not perfect, but relative to the NHS astonishingly good. At least I feel like I am being appropriately compensated for my time and expertise and treated like a human being rather than some kind of automaton. My husband is not medical but he got a job pretty easily before we left and got a 20% pay rise for less work. I have seen my pay nearly double. We are also on a 482 as this move has been a dream of mine for a long time and the only way we could move forward with it during covid was to get onshore. So here we are! None of our costs were covered so if yours are, what are you waiting for!? Certain things are more expensive when you don't have PR, like childcare (that you won't have to consider), and not being able to raise bank loans or enter into novated leases so having to rent a banger for a grand a month! Rent is comparable or a bit more expensive but the standard of build here is better. And you can definitely build for cheaper than in the UK. Depends where you want to live. Overall we are more comfortable than in the UK. And for us, with a young child, the amenities just on your doorstep are world class and would cancel out any drop in salary. We rarely sit around at home flicking through netflix, even with covid there is so much more to do than in the UK. We kept our property on in the UK 'just in case', and we have family in the UK that we miss but we have no intention of going back if we can help it! I think having some friends and family here already has helped us to settle but people are out and about, things are happening, there is scope to meet people. I just think Aussies have had such an incredible lifestyle here for so long that their "terrible" is pretty good! It's all relative 🙂

This is so reassuring to hear, thanks. So glad everything is working out for you!

On 09/01/2022 at 04:29, BeachBabe2022 said:

Hi Ruth

How extremely exciting to have a job offer and a move to NSW.

You say you were here in your 20s, so that is a good start, as you will have some idea of what to expect.

I understand about being indecisive. But as you say, it is something you have wanted to do for years. And I think you will forever regret it….. if you pass up the opportunity now.

Come out for five years, give it a real go, and if you don’t like it after that time, then go back to the UK or maybe over to New Zealand.

Of course, things change – you can hardly expect them to stay exactly the same. Even my Aussie husband says things have changed in Australia for the worse. But still there is no place I would rather be (well may make an exception for Bora Bora). I was just reminiscing yesterday and thinking how extremely grateful and happy and lucky that I got my resident visa all those years ago.

I arrived in 1995 and things have changed a lot in that time. Cost of food and housing and everything really is more expensive. But that is like anywhere, my sister says my hometown in the UK has changed beyond measure to the point I would no longer recognize it. She thinks I would hate it if I moved back.

I know some people move out here and hate it, and some people (such as myself) absolutely adore it and never want to leave. Who knows what category you will fall into, but if you don’t give it a go, you will never know will you?

You can get a nice house here, close to a gym, have your hobbies, and get comfortable jobs, plus make friends.

Things are going a bit crazy with the pandemic at the moment, but for the past two years, I have just been living my life as normal with a few adjustments like facemask wearing. I go to work, go to the beach, go on hikes, go whale watching, take drives to wineries, go skiing, go snorkelling, go on bike rides, and so on, life goes on.   

Personally, for me, I absolutely love living here, and I have a happy life. I have absolutely NO interest or desire to return to the UK. So, in nutshell, YES still worth it. At least I think so anyway.

Whereabouts in NSW are you aiming for?

Thanks so much for your reply. Great to hear you still love it there. Id be heading to Port Macquarie, so moving from one medium sized town in the UK to a comparable sized one in Aus

1 hour ago, Ruth1 said:

This is so reassuring to hear, thanks. So glad everything is working out for you!

I’m really sorry that yet again a poster that was asking for advice, has had the thread taken over, by often the same posters, who because they are unhappy in Australia dredge up every miserable/political etc reason why they dislike it here. There is nothing wrong with posters giving constructive advice for or against living in Australia, no country suits everyone, but some posters almost hate of the country is very sad, but perhaps not balanced.

Two of my children followed us when we retired here 19 years ago, ( for a bit of an adventure for perhaps only a couple of years, we never left!!!)  they moved here in their 30’s ( son 15 years ago and daughter 10 years ago ) and have made a success of their lives, love living here, as do their friends. One lives in Brisbane and the other in Sydney. 

I’m not going to give advice, but as someone who went to Africa in the mid 1960’s as a single female to work, with at the time with no known family there, there might be a clue in what I would do in your circumstances!! 

Ruth whatever decision you make, enjoy your life wherever you decide. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Bulya said:

You and I both know it’s nonsense.  Class is very much a pommy thing and pretty much non existent here.

Keep drinking the koolaid. Aussie snobbery is all based on material possessions and wealth but it still constitutes a class system where those with cash buy privilege for their children, nepotism and the old school tie networks are rife and the unemployed and disabled are labelled bludgers and forced to exist on the lowest benefits of any OECD country. 

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 1

Its funny, we used to get lots of reports in mods saying any thread about MBTTUK was hijacked, we started a section just for MBTTUK to post away and vent (within the rules) as much as peeps want and now its a complete reversal.

Sadly and with apologies to the OPwill now close this thread as yet again it has been taken off track. 

Here is a refresh of the Forum Etiquette EVERYONE agrees too when they sign up to PIO.  The full rules can be found here - 

Forum Etiquette

• Thank you goes a long way - If someone has taken the time to discuss, and share their experiences with you then please be appreciative of that and thank them accordingly. This applies especially to the migration agents who give their time on the site for free.
  • We don't walk in their shoes - If someone is offering to share their experiences please do not belittle them, or make personal comments, or judgements, about their situation. It is not helpful to anyone, and only detracts from the discussion at hand.
  • Communicating on message boards is different from face-to-face communication. Only the words are seen, not your facial expressions or tone of voice. Please pay careful attention to how you use your words. Remember that the words you enter in a burst of passion or indignant anger will be there for you and everyone else to see, sometimes long after those intense feelings have passed. That's not meant to discourage spontaneity, but just a friendly reminder of the long-term existence and effects of what you post. You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1