Is it still worth it

Ruth1

CTP is not 3rd party insurance for vehicles,it is for personal injury/ medical for everybody except the driver at fault ( in WA).Other states it is also not for property ,only medical.

Covers pain and suffering 

Past and future economic loss 

Claims management expenses 

Care and support including medical treatment and rehabilitation .

This can amount to $millions for catastrophic injuries and care for life.

If you drive a car you need insurance,rego does not cover you.

Mine is due the end of this month.The breakdown is for a V8.

Rego. $424 

Insurance (motor injury) $378

GST ( VAT) $37 

Insurance duty $41 

Recording fee$10.

Rego clearly states vehicle licence and motor injury insurance policy .

Get insured for property,you are not covered 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Change the record you were on about this the last time you were posting, there are far worse countries in the world than Australia to live . 
No restrictions now stoping you from leaving. 

Wasn't Australia the most "equal" country in the world to live, with the smallest difference between rich and poor in the world? Doesn't sound like much of a class system to me. In fact I don't ever think I've felt held back by "class" in Australia.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Loopylu said:

The first question I was asked when I started work 13 years ago in Brisbane was what school I would send the kids to.The look of horror when I said the local State school…

Only OECD country that props up elitist private education and healthcare and investment property ownership with taxpayer money.

Class system, what class system.

Also only OECD country not to have a bill of rights or human rights act in domestic legislation. Explains how the government gets away with the treatment of refugees, charging for education of children of temporary visa holders and restricting the travel of its citizens. All breaches of human rights conventions ratified by Australia but unenforceable in Australian courts due to lack of said domestic legislation. 

Spent my entire working career (IT) in Australia bar a sojourn in Asia and not once was I asked about school.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Toots said:

i got my green card and decided to give America a go.  I thoroughly enjoyed my job and managed to do a lot of travel and let me tell you there are some spectacular places in the US but I never really felt at home there and when I got a job offer in Switzerland I gave up my job in California.  Lots of people thought I was crazy to leave the US (when have I ever listened to other people) but I've never regretted it.  Loved my job in Switzerland but was happy to leave after a year. I think if I hadn't met my Aussie husband in London I would still be moving from country to country like a gypsy. .  

I can identify with your once gypsy held thoughts on living very well. A lot to be said for keeping things fresh and moving on when it's time. It'd hard to beat Switzerland for living standards though. (great pension besides pay) Idea as a few I know/knew did was live in France/Germany and work in CH. 

As for USA, probably the most interesting and diverse country in the world. If I was of financial means, it would likely be my choice , with favourable taxes for the rich, but being an ordinary Joe, not really to my liking. 

I still think London, with its transient and accepting  nature , among if not the, most cosmopolitan city in the world , pretty much the ideal spot for true transients of the world , who don't belong to any particular place. 

9 hours ago, Loopylu said:

A lack of human rights protections and a class system that is worse than the Uk would be relevant to any “intelligent” assessment of whether to migrate to Australia. Quality of life is not just about weather, size of house and a swimming pool if you have any social conscience.

Wholly agree. Thing about Australia is much is under the surface and a veneer of respectability clouds the reality. It is folly to suppose our best interests will be protected without it clearly being defined. (as in Bill of Rights) The lack of integrity seems only limited by one's imagination. I can't go into it in a deeper context on a forum, but if I had known, what I have discovered over recent years, it  would have really made me think carefully with regards to Australia being the country (that I really wanted to return to and create a life.

But obviously most will look at aspects more to do with material advancement than questions of ethics along with pay scale , which is fine in itself, but to my thinking further underlines people's self absorbed nature , where the larger picture doesn't reveal itself necessarily , well until it does. Having clarity of rights are surely paramount in any modern society . 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Change the record you were on about this the last time you were posting, there are far worse countries in the world than Australia to live . 

Actually there are. My family. Kids at critical stage of education and husband has recently started dialysis. I am to all extents and purposes trapped in a boring country that disappoints more and more each day. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Seems you are also playing the same record. If you don’t love it, leave. I am just as entitled to express my legitimate concerns about Australian society as you are to defend the indefensible. 

Edited by Loopylu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Loopylu said:

You’ve been here all of 5 minutes. Let’s see how you feel after several years of living isolated from family. My children have not seen their grandparents for 3 years now due to harsh travel restrictions. 

16 years almost for us and i agree with the majority of her post.

I think sometimes the trick is learning not to blame your personal hard times on a whole country.

Cal x

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I think sometimes the trick is learning not to blame your personal hard times on a whole country.

Cal x

Actually it is the country that imposed travel restrictions (and Australians without relations overseas supported this breach of human rights) so your point is invalid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Wasn't Australia the most "equal" country in the world to live, with the smallest difference between rich and poor in the world? 

Only a study which completely ignores Indigenous Australians could ever reach such a conclusion. The only other place in the developed world where I have seen poverty on the scale experienced by IA is the Deep South of the USA. Even the poorest residents of Glasgow are better off.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, newjez said:

Wasn't Australia the most "equal" country in the world to live, with the smallest difference between rich and poor in the world? Doesn't sound like much of a class system to me. In fact I don't ever think I've felt held back by "class" in Australia.

Was. The gap between poor and rich has grown exponentially. Australia has the lowest unemployment benefits of all OECD countries. As you have lived in the UK for a number of years you are hardly on the ground and in a position to comment on current living conditions. 

27 minutes ago, DIG85 said:

Only a study which completely ignores Indigenous Australians could ever reach such a conclusion. The only other place in the developed world where I have seen poverty on the scale experienced by IA is the Deep South of the USA. Even the poorest residents of Glasgow are better off.

It's pretty obvious from reading most of your posts that you don't like Australia, Australians or the way of life here.  I understand that Loopylu can't go home.  What's your reason for staying here?  It's no way to live to be stuck in a place you despise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Do a little own research and you'll likely stumble on results not to your liking. Ok. Check out 20 May 2016 Boomerang Poms BBC. Nearly half of migration visa's return within five years to UK. 

Even in ten pound Pom times there was a considerable number saving up to repay their assisted passage then returning. I knew a bloke from Stoke on Trent, that was the last remaining of his group of sixteen . Meaning all others returned to UK. He didn't like Australia bit never managed the move back. It's always been high. Never claimed higher today, as simply don't know. 

But if you want to check out the highest nationality to return home, look no further than the Dutch. Something like half went back during the fifties and sixties. Further, I arrived latter part of nineties and few non Australian born we knew from those times, from a collection on nationalities remain in Perth today some twenty three plus years later......

I recall that,  of the one and a half million Ten Pound Poms, 250 000 went back but half of them came back to Oz and stayed second time around.

Half of the Brits who emigrate to Oz return permanently to the UK? That's hard to believe. If true, it's probably been replicated here on PIO and half of us are now living back in the UK?

Of the Brits, the Irish  and other nationalities that I know  very few have returned permanently.

12 hours ago, JetBlast said:

I work in IT and buys millions of dollars of Electronic items every year. I generally find that Australia isn’t more expensive. (I know you said “as a consumer” but it’s still a good indicator).

For example, the base model iPad Air is $899 in Australia. The same device is $1,095 (£579) in the UK.

Apple Australia Link

https://www.apple.com/au/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air

Apple UK Link

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air

I remember doing the same thing for TV's a few years ago when thinking they were very expensive.  I compared to Curry's in the UK and Australia was substantially cheaper.

I also used to think that cars were very expensive here, and i think they were 10 years ago.  But seeing how cheap Toyota's are here when they're marketed as a more premium car in the UK is weird.  

15 hours ago, armada said:

I have relatives in several states across America, I see how they live their lives, I wouldn't swap with them for anything. And they are supposedly the "fortunate" ones with well-paying jobs that provide health insurance.

my BIL pays $60,000 a year for gold family health insurance in Georgia.  I remember about 10 years ago he had a football injury and wrenched his shoulder out tearing ligaments, so went straight to the Docs on a Sunday morning for an MRI.  The family GP had his own MRI when at the time, there were 2 MRI's in the whole of Birmingham serving over a million people.

You can get the best treatment in the world, but boy will you have to cough up for it.  OK if you have the money.

2 hours ago, Loopylu said:

Seems you are also playing the same record. If you don’t love it, leave. I am just as entitled to express my legitimate concerns about Australian society as you are to defend the indefensible. 

Your concerns are noted but irrelevant 

On 07/01/2022 at 17:38, Ruth1 said:

Ive got my job offer and the move to NSW is all set, but now I am paralysed with indescision about moving to Aus.. 

I have wanted to come for years after spending a couple of the best years of life in Aus in my 20s, and also for a better quality of life, better weather, adventure etc.

However I keep reading about how its not the same in Australia anymore and about people wanting to come home etc. I am just wondering if it is still worth it

Also, we do have a good life in the UK, nice house, confortable jobs, and close to our gym and hobbies, and I keep wondering if I am crazy giving that up. Family isnt an issue and if anything a push to Aus, but I do have good friends here in the UK. At the same time though I feel that things are going downhill here, everything is getting so expensive, so much rubbish everywhere that my leafy, rural part of England looks like a 3rd world country, and everyone seems so angry and miserable. Plus work has been a bit unbearable at times during the pandemic and Ive been offered a job that pays well with hopefully good work life balance.

Id love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences. I know I just need to make a decision but any insights might help.

Simple really......you will never know unless you try.

No point worrying about people moving back to the UK because there reasons for leaving may not even bother you.

It will have changed here from when you where here last and it will be totally different from backpacking to living here.

We came out June 2020 and never looked back really. Is it a million times better than the UK, not really its just different.

Weather is non comparable though and you can spend alot more time outdoors, my girls love here and they would choose Aus over UK anyday.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Congratulations 1

9 hours ago, newjez said:

You and I both know it’s nonsense.  Class is very much a pommy thing and pretty much non existent here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, calNgary said:

Cal x

Thing being of course, that some just don't find the country to their liking. That could be for numerous reasons, some very valid, others a more personal take on findings. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, newjez said:

Long , long ago. Australian inequality is growing at a rate of knots as living standards fall. Ever more of the wealth in the hands of the top ten per cent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Thing being of course, that some just don't find the country to their liking. That could be for numerous reasons, some very valid, others a more personal take on findings. 

...............  and that's fair enough.  I understand completely why Loopylu is negative about Australia.  She would be back in the UK if she could but she has her husband and children to think about and circumstances are keeping her here.  No doubt she feels trapped.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

I recall that,  of the one and a half million Ten Pound Poms, 250 000 went back but half of them came back to Oz and stayed second time around.

Half of the Brits who emigrate to Oz return permanently to the UK? That's hard to believe. If true, it's probably been replicated here on PIO and half of us are now living back in the UK?

Of the Brits, the Irish  and other nationalities that I know  very few have returned permanently.

I'm recalling more recent times about 2016 when some 7,000 a year were returning. The Irish are very noticeably fewer on the ground in Perth. I notice it a lot in my area as Irish accents were extremely plentiful a few years back. Now only two households that I'm aware off, although my neighbour who was Irish bought further out after he decided to remain. He told me before he left, that almost all the Irish that used to attend his parties departed to return home. There was a lull in work a few years back . Besides that we know a number of Serbs and Bosnians that left, not for own country, but Germany. Four families in total. 

5 minutes ago, Toots said:

...............  and that's fair enough.  I understand completely why Loopylu is negative about Australia.  She would be back in the UK if she could but she has her husband and children to think about and circumstances are keeping her here.  No doubt she feels trapped.

My mother felt the same, so appreciate those feelings very well. Obviously these days there is not the total isolation with social media, but back in the day it was a question of waiting for the monthly aerogramme. It's a common enough feeling. Not always Australia's fault, but certain aspects can indeed aggravate the dislike. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

My mother felt the same, so appreciate those feelings very well. Obviously these days there is not the total isolation with social media, but back in the day it was a question of waiting for the monthly aerogramme. It's a common enough feeling. Not always Australia's fault, but certain aspects can indeed aggravate the dislike. 

I've told in a previous thread about my mother-in-law.  She never settled here.  Disliked Australia.  Settled back in England after her husband died.  Never bad mouthed Australia though.

• Like 2