Is it still worth it

Ruth1

Ive got my job offer and the move to NSW is all set, but now I am paralysed with indescision about moving to Aus.. 

I have wanted to come for years after spending a couple of the best years of life in Aus in my 20s, and also for a better quality of life, better weather, adventure etc.

However I keep reading about how its not the same in Australia anymore and about people wanting to come home etc. I am just wondering if it is still worth it

Also, we do have a good life in the UK, nice house, confortable jobs, and close to our gym and hobbies, and I keep wondering if I am crazy giving that up. Family isnt an issue and if anything a push to Aus, but I do have good friends here in the UK. At the same time though I feel that things are going downhill here, everything is getting so expensive, so much rubbish everywhere that my leafy, rural part of England looks like a 3rd world country, and everyone seems so angry and miserable. Plus work has been a bit unbearable at times during the pandemic and Ive been offered a job that pays well with hopefully good work life balance.

Id love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences. I know I just need to make a decision but any insights might help.

2 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

Ive got my job offer and the move to NSW is all set, but now I am paralysed with indescision about moving to Aus.. 

I have wanted to come for years after spending a couple of the best years of life in Aus in my 20s, and also for a better quality of life, better weather, adventure etc.

However I keep reading about how its not the same in Australia anymore and about people wanting to come home etc. I am just wondering if it is still worth it

Also, we do have a good life in the UK, nice house, confortable jobs, and close to our gym and hobbies, and I keep wondering if I am crazy giving that up. Family isnt an issue and if anything a push to Aus, but I do have good friends here in the UK. At the same time though I feel that things are going downhill here, everything is getting so expensive, so much rubbish everywhere that my leafy, rural part of England looks like a 3rd world country, and everyone seems so angry and miserable. Plus work has been a bit unbearable at times during the pandemic and Ive been offered a job that pays well with hopefully good work life balance.

Id love to hear peoples thoughts and experiences. I know I just need to make a decision but any insights might help.

Very few want to ‘come home’.  For starters you need to think about which state/territory might meet your requirements for lifestyle, sport, weather, etc etc.  

When you came to Australia in your 20s, were you a carefree backpacker or were you working in a normal job?    If you were a backpacker then you weren't living the lifestyle of the ordinary Australian.  You're going to find that living here as a mature adult is a lot more ordinary and predictable.   For most occupations, work is still work, it's not any more "laidback" than work in the UK.   In fact, most Aussies get less annual leave and sick leave than Brits and their base working hours are sometimes longer.  The exception would be if you're a nurse or a doctor, as I believe working conditions are better in Australia than under the NHS (but I'm neither, so perhaps someone will come along who has personal experience). 

It's really what you're able to do with your free time that will make the difference.  Being able to go to a beautiful sandy beach every weekend, instead of waiting all year to spend two weeks there in summer, certainly feels special.  Whether it's enough to compensate for the loss of friends or other elements of your old life, is a question only you can answer. 

Migrants have been flocking back to the UK for years, it's nothing new. There's a myth in the UK that life in Australia is always better but it's not - it's just different.  Inevitably, that difference suits some people down to the ground while others will hate it.  The most common reason for returning to the UK is "missing family or friends".    Others find they are desperately homesick for their homeland, for reasons they can't explain - they just feel like a fish out of water.  Some find they just don't like the Aussie culture. Whatever, you'll find plenty of happy ex-Brits (like me) who wouldn't dream of leaving Australia, and about as many who went back to the UK and haven't regretted it for a moment - yes, even those who moved mid-pandemic.  It's a personal thing.

I would say, don't expect Australia to be cheaper than the UK.  Some things are cheaper, some things are expensive.  Some will say Australia is more expensive but I think it balances out.  

Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

How long ago were you last in Australia?  And where in NSW are you heading?

Also, you mention "we".  How many others are coming with you and how do they feel about the move?

I wonder how long ago exactly since you were last here? As Marisawright wrote it is very different coming as a Backpacker than a migrant. The former is a world to itself. Nothing like reality. 

No better quality of life these days, unless perhaps from a country with 'challenging' circumstances. Prices here have risen as well. We have something like the second most precarious housing market in the world. It can pose a challenge to rent. We work long hours in often trying conditions. We have a very considerable drug problem that is not being addressed. 

What we do have is pretty much guaranteed sunshine. We have beaches. Two things that even with the greatest of wills, the politicians cannot take away from us. Most the rest is in various forms of decline. We seem rather clueless   in how to address falling living standards as well.

Many complain of the difficulty of making friends and the distance from family and friends left behind. 

Possibly better to ask just what and where the better quality of life you hope for will be found in reality. 

35 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

. We have a very considerable drug problem that is not being addressed. 

Drugs are a problem throughout the western world, not sure why you would state this to someone trying to make a decision on moving here or is this in regard to the area you live . 

I would do a pros and cons list for both countries and be 💯 honest in my answers. 

• Like 2

Curious as to what you think will be "better" (said as I sit here in mid summer cloudy and rain forecast - makes a change from it being so damned hot I dont like to walk during the mid morning).  The flies have been bad this summer too, I am going to buy a head net on my way into town today!

You havent said how many of you - if you are a family coming on a temporary visa because you've said you've just got a job so sponsorship??? then, yes, I would be very concerned.  If there is just 2 of you then you can think of it more as another adventure.  Dont sell your home, take a career break, suck it and see.

If you've got kids, will you be up for fees in school (some states do)? Will they be leaving good schools - that's a bit of a gamble because when your temporary visa ends (dont assume it will lead you to PR these days) they will be going home and you might have to renegotiate getting them back into schools.

On balance I am in the "if it aint broke dont fix it" camp but I also believe in having adventures while you can do so without penalty, so if adventure is in your future go for it but if you aspire to "settled" then probably maybe dont.

15 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You havent said how many of you - if you are a family coming on a temporary visa because you've said you've just got a job so sponsorship??? then, yes, I would be very concerned.  If there is just 2 of you then you can think of it more as another adventure.  Dont sell your home, take a career break, suck it and see.

That is a good point.  Is it a temporary sponsorship (482) or a permanent one?   If it's a 482 and the company is meeting all your relocation costs there AND back, then I'd go for it, even with kids in tow.  It's too good an adventure to miss and the benefits will outweigh any disruption to their education. But if you're going to have to wear most of the relocation costs yourself, don't do it.   Companies often exaggerate your chances of getting a permanent visa after your contract (it's even called "transitioning to PR" as if it's a smooth process), whereas it's usually a rocky, stressful road and a lot of families end up being forced to go home, finding themselves back where they started with half their savings gone.

Quoll is an example of the people who get extremely homesick for England and can't settle in Australia, no matter how nice their life here is, so she is always going to point out the negatives.  I love my life here but I can come across as negative too, only because i want people to be realistic (anyone who is chasing "the Aussie dream" is probably imagining an Australia that only exists on TV).  Blue Flu had a nasty experience with drug dealers in Perth and is now convinced the whole country is riddled with drugs. So do take all our advice with an awareness of our attitudes/bias!

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

Australia has changed, i can see that in the 15 yrs i have been here. On saying that when i went back to the UK a couple of years ago, that had changed too. The world and it's countries are always changing. 

We too had a good life ,2 kids, decent jobs, a house in UK and a house in Spain and we sold it all for very similar reasons to you (hubby had been here years ago on a WHV and loved it),, wanting better weather., better lifestyle, spending more times outdoors etc etc and those boxes are happily ticked, especially the better weather and being outside more. From my years on the forum, the majority of people who do go back seem to do so because of missing family. If family isnt an issue for you, you are already a step ahead. Also remember, in life in general, those unhappy will let ypu know a little bit 'louder' or more often than those who aren't,lol.

The thing we love is the places to go, things to see and activities to do. I can only speak for QLD but you can go somewhere different every weekend for years and not run out of great places to visit. The adventure is there if you want it and for us life was too short to spend a future thinking 'what if'. 

Personally i would go for it if its something you have been thinking of years.

Cal x

• Like 4

Guest AltyMatt

Why not treat it like a sabbatical - give yourselves 12 months to see whether you like it or not.

Worst case you go home after spending a year getting to know Australia.

COVID will make it more difficult to establish a network as many people work from home and social activities are restricted at the moment, although they are likely to return soon once infection rates ease.

The success of your move is probably as much dependent on satisfaction with your new job as it is with Australia. If you are unhappy in your role and it is a sponsored visa, then you may feel trapped as you can't just move to a new job unless they are willing to pick up the sponsorship.  It's a bit of a gamble but you don't know unless you try!

17 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

"Not the same in Australia any more?"...."People wanting to come home?"

I don't know what that means about "not being the same any more" and I know very few people who want to go home, whether that means Poms or the "A to Z" of other nationalities who live here. 

Don't listen to a few malcontent. If you've been offered a good job here then take the opportunity, give it a couple of years* to settle in, and if it doesn't work out then go back. 

* I think that the Ten Pound Poms had to refund the cost of their passage if they went back within 2 years but most stayed and of the ones who did go back,  half of them returned to Australia.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rallyman said:

Drugs are a problem throughout the western world, not sure why you would state this to someone trying to make a decision on moving here or is this in regard to the area you live . 

I would do a pros and cons list for both countries and be 💯 honest in my answers. 

While drugs are a problem throughout the western world, I have never witnessed the extent it goes on here. (lived around it in London and Amsterdam) Nor the inability to do much about it. Adelaide and Perth are the world leaders in producing methamphetamine.  .  As I have frequently mentioned it is everywhere. (all around me)  I'd like to know its contribution to GDP. It is most certainly an issue to consider.  

Edited by Blue Flu

6 hours ago, MARYROSE02 said:

"Not the same in Australia any more?"...."People wanting to come home?"

I don't know what that means about "not being the same any more" and I know very few people who want to go home, whether that means Poms or the "A to Z" of other nationalities who live here. 

Don't listen to a few malcontent. If you've been offered a good job here then take the opportunity, give it a couple of years* to settle in, and if it doesn't work out then go back. 

* I think that the Ten Pound Poms had to refund the cost of their passage if they went back within 2 years but most stayed and of the ones who did go back,  half of them returned to Australia.

Better still get a cross section of opinion and allow the OP to make up own mind. Australia, by most measurements, most certainly is nothing like the country it was when you arrived. Plenty leave, immigration is a business. Some settle some don't. But if already experiencing a 'good life' where are, why exactly throw it away on a whim?

Thanks everyone for your helpful and considered replies. To answer some questions, I was a student at university whilst in Aus previously, so my experience was probably somewhere in the middle between mundanity of work and the carefree life of a backpacker..

I work in healthcare, and my job in the NHS has changed beyond recognition since the pandemic hit. We have been working harder than ever, which is fine, but have been treated pretty badly in my opinion, so genuinely do think the prospects in Aus would be better. Also, I hate to say this, but seeing the state the NHS is in makes me worry for if myself or my husband ever needed medical care and I know the healthcare system in Aus ia one of the best in the world. My job would be on a temporary 482 visa but costs are covered..

Finally, its just me and my hubby, no kids which undoubtedly makes the decision easier. He is up for it, even though it is my dream really, as he is feeling a bit bored with his work atm.

I think the idea of treating it like a sabbatical is a good one.. Nothing to lose by trying it then (except perhaps a bit of money) 😀

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AltyMatt said:

Why not treat it like a sabbatical - give yourselves 12 months to see whether you like it or not.

Worst case you go home after spending a year getting to know Australia.

COVID will make it more difficult to establish a network as many people work from home and social activities are restricted at the moment, although they are likely to return soon once infection rates ease.

The success of your move is probably as much dependent on satisfaction with your new job as it is with Australia. If you are unhappy in your role and it is a sponsored visa, then you may feel trapped as you can't just move to a new job unless they are willing to pick up the sponsorship.  It's a bit of a gamble but you don't know unless you try!

Most sensible suggestion. Try before buy. 

Just now, Ruth1 said:

Thanks everyone for your helpful and considered replies. To answer some questions, I was a student at university whilst in Aus previously, so my experience was probably somewhere in the middle between mundanity of work and the carefree life of a backpacker..

I work in healthcare, and my job in the NHS has changed beyond recognition since the pandemic hit. We have been working harder than ever, which is fine, but have been treated pretty badly in my opinion, so genuinely do think the prospects in Aus would be better. Also, I hate to say this, but seeing the state the NHS is in makes me worry for if myself or my husband ever needed medical care and I know the healthcare system in Aus ia one of the best in the world. My job would be on a temporary 482 visa but costs are covered..

Finally, its just me and my hubby, no kids which undoubtedly makes the decision easier. He is up for it, even though it is my dream really, as he is feeling a bit bored with his work atm.

I think the idea of treating it like a sabbatical is a good one.. Nothing to lose by trying it then (except perhaps a bit of money) 😀

Well system not coping well in WA, a state with very little concern on the COVD front. If it does hit us, we are in for big problems. As I understand the eastern states are struggling  where the COVD is certainly playing havoc.  

2 minutes ago, Ruth1 said:

I don’t know what area of health you are in but yes treatment of staff in the nhs is largely rubbish. Not  to say there aren’t poor employers in Australia as well, I certainly had a few! I’m not in Australia any more but my impression is that their healthcare systems have suffered as well. All these things probably area specific in both countries. I currently have a great employer in the nhs.

That said, sponsorship, no children, willing spouse, go for it. Why wouldn’t you? It will give  you both a break, always a bit of a bounce. You might love it and look to try and stay or you might decide not for you and leave. Who cares. Life is for living! 😀

All the best with it, get on that plane! ✈️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

While drugs are a problem throughout the western world, I have never witnessed the extent it goes on here. (lived around it in London and Amsterdam) Nor the inability to do much about it. Adelaide and Perth are the world leaders in producing methamphetamine.  .  As I have frequently mentioned it is everywhere. (all around me)  I'd like to know its contribution to GDP. It is most certainly an issue to consider.  

I think it’s more to do with the area you currently live in unfortunately, I have witnessed and had dealings  with far worse in uk and standby my comments it’s a western world problem. 

Edited by Rallyman

1 minute ago, Rallyman said:

I think it’s more to do with the area you currently live in unfortunately, I have witnessed and had dealings  with far worse in uk and standby my comments it’s a western world problem. 

I agree it’s a problem everywhere. I lived in the north of England and now live in Adelaide. It was much worse where I was in the UK compared to here. Some areas have it worse than others - it just depends on what areas you’re comparing. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JetBlast said:

I agree it’s a problem everywhere. I lived in the north of England and now live in Adelaide. It was much worse where I was in the UK compared to here. Some areas have it worse than others - it just depends on what areas you’re comparing. 

I tend to agree , no doubt some parts in Australia are bad but not as BF was portraying. Going off topic now from original question.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ruth1 said:

I work in healthcare, and my job in the NHS...

Finally, its just me and my hubby, no kids

In that case, bloody well go for it!  You'd be a fool not to, IMO.  It's an adventure if nothing else, and how often do you get to have adventures once you get past your twenties?  I think it's especially the case if you're working in the NHS.  @DrDougster might have some opinions to offer, although he's in Queensland. 

If you own a home, don't sell it - rent it out instead. That way you've got something to go back to if it doesn't work out, and an income-producing asset if it does. Best of luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rallyman said:

It's different. It's not the feral type. I have written before it is not drug addicts but those making money from it. It is everywhere in Inner City and from my research in most suburbs. When I say it is a problem, I can't stress the degree. When professional people are involved not hard to see there is a problem . I could write a book on it. Australia is the worst country for this drug. Sadly easy to make. Prices are higher in WA, I believe. encouraging a lot from intrastate. 

But never mind, this subject brings up little positive feedback on here.

As for OP, I guess they may be of the age for an adventure. If taken as that then why not? Just don't burn all bridges for a return. I certainly put adventure before security in my younger days. But I wasn't looking for a better life, necessarily, just an interesting one.

Edited by Blue Flu

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Better still get a cross section of opinion and allow the OP to make up own mind. Australia, by most measurements, most certainly is nothing like the country it was when you arrived. Plenty leave, immigration is a business. Some settle some don't. But if already experiencing a 'good life' where are, why exactly throw it away on a whim?

Because life is better here…

3 hours ago, Ruth1 said:

Plenty of stories running over here to say that healthcare workers have been so overworked in the pandemic that they'll quit as soon as it's over. Time will tell - but of course the silver lining for people coming here from the NHS is that if the great resignation does take place there will be vacancies for them!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

It's different. It's not the feral type. I have written before it is not drug addicts but those making money from it. It is everywhere in Inner City and from my research in most suburbs. When I say it is a problem, I can't stress the degree. When professional people are involved not hard to see there is a problem . I could write a book on it. Australia is the worst country for this drug. Sadly easy to make. Prices are higher in WA, I believe. encouraging a lot from intrastate. 

But never mind, this subject brings up little positive feedback on here.

As for OP, I guess they may be of the age for an adventure. If taken as that then why not? Just don't burn all bridges for a return. I certainly put adventure before security in my younger days. But I wasn't looking for a better life, necessarily, just an interesting one.

Maybe you need to start a new thread as said off topic . 

• Thanks 1