Steveozz1

Shipping Advice

Hi everyone,

my partner and I are planning to sell up and move back to UK this year.....probably June/July time so we don't immediately die returning back to a Scottish winter!!

Looking for advice re shipping - which companies are good, indicative costs, etc. Also specifically, whether we should take out our own insurance as I got one quote from Crown and their insurance was very expensive I thought. As we are planning to go mid-year do you guys think its too early to get the ball rolling on this now?

Any advice or info from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. 

Definitely get your own insurance.  Not worth even considering anything else.   It may be expensive, but how are you going to feel if you lose all your belongings?   

If your reaction to that question is, your belongings are so unimportant that you wouldn't care if you lost them -- then ask yourself whether they're actually worth shipping. 

You have two options really. 

If you have enough stuff, book a container.  Get several quotes and look at reviews of your LOCAL office, because different offices can vary a lot.  

If you don't have enough for a container, look at Movecube.  Only one company offers this option.  Two Movecubes will work out more expensive than a shared container, but stuff is less liikely to get stolen or lost. You might even only need one Movecube.  

https://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/en-au/moving/movecube/international-movecube

There's a trick to packing the Movecube so if you decide to go down that route, come back here to get tips on how to decide what to take, how to pack it etc.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, due out August 2022

thanks for the response. I think we will need a container - will be taking as much back as possible and possibly a car too (which I also have no idea about how to do!)  In terms of shipping insurance, what I meant was is it cheaper to arrange this with a third party, not the company doing the shipping, and are the big companies like Crown, Grace, etc. OK with not using their own insurance?  We will definitely be taking out insurance but the quote we got from Crown seemed to be very high for the insurance element.

1 hour ago, Steveozz1 said:

thanks for the response. I think we will need a container - will be taking as much back as possible and possibly a car too (which I also have no idea about how to do!)  In terms of shipping insurance, what I meant was is it cheaper to arrange this with a third party, not the company doing the shipping, and are the big companies like Crown, Grace, etc. OK with not using their own insurance?  We will definitely be taking out insurance but the quote we got from Crown seemed to be very high for the insurance element.

Check very carefully before taking the car.  

When I said "get your own insurance", that's what I meant.  Don't get it from the shipping company.  Not because it's cheaper from a third party, but because it removes the conflict of interest and you're more likely to get any claims settled.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

thanks Marisa - makes sense. I'll see if there are any other threads on here about taking cars over....

7 minutes ago, Steveozz1 said:

thanks Marisa - makes sense. I'll see if there are any other threads on here about taking cars over....

These guys do cars from the UK to Australia but they might have some idea of moving the other way, too. Otherwise start a new thread asking about taking a car to the UK - I'm sure I've seen some knowledgeable people posting about that before.

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/63748-transporting-your-car-to-oz-everything-you-need-to-know/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Steveozz1 said:

Hi everyone,

my partner and I are planning to sell up and move back to UK this year.....probably June/July time so we don't immediately die returning back to a Scottish winter!!

Looking for advice re shipping - which companies are good, indicative costs, etc. Also specifically, whether we should take out our own insurance as I got one quote from Crown and their insurance was very expensive I thought. As we are planning to go mid-year do you guys think its too early to get the ball rolling on this now?

Any advice or info from those in the know would be greatly appreciated. 

You can certainly start looking at different companies but it may be too early to get firm quotes if you’re 6 months away.  We moved back in April 2021, although the container was picked up in March and we started the quotes in January.  I’m sure the shipping situation has eased somewhat from last year but our container took exactly 8 months to arrive.  If I were to do the move again I would certainly review what we brought back and be more ruthless.  We used Palmers and I would not recommend them - once the money was paid they weren’t interested in helping.  Do ask which British firm will be delivering and find out as much as possible about the shipping.  Our container was moved by three ships in total spending weeks on the quayside in between ships. Once arrived in London it took a further 5 weeks before the English side delivered to Yorkshire.

• Like 1

we moved from WA to UK in early 2020 ,  we used Grace cost was ~ A$7000 for ~17cubic meters in a shared container , we were located around 500km south of Perth.

the UK part was fulfilled by D Bonner, experience was OK, there were delays in shipping due to Covid just hitting,  Their storage charge was £5/per day . When we were ready to have it delivered they had no capacity for another 2 weeks . 

All removal company are much the same , really depends who (what crew)   you get on the day if it's going to be a good or  bad experience.

Always organised  Insurance definitely seperate.

• Like 1

Re insurance - we used Letton Percival who had a good reputation at the time and were competitively priced. There will be other insurers but might be a good starting point. Always get a few quotes for insurance and shipping (separately), play them off against each other to get the price down and read the fine print!

• Like 2

:evilface_frowning_s