Shipping - can we pack too?

5Evns

Hi all,

I’ve booked PSS to come to the house in about 2 weeks times to properly quote shipping our stuff from the UK to AUS.
Are we allowed to pack some boxes (cardboard and plastic clear tubs) ourselves or do their packers have to do it all? 
We are putting the house up for sale soon so I wouldn’t mind getting a head start on packing bits and pieces especially the kids toys!

cheers!

Edited by 5Evns

You need to ask them. What are they quoting for?   

If the company is quoting to pack AND ship, then it's likely they will insist on packing every box themselves.  Some will let you pack some of your own boxes, but the contents of those boxes won't be covered by insurance. 

If the company is just quoting to ship, then you'll be expected to pack all your own boxes and have everything documented and  ready to stow in the van when they arrive. 

There's probably a lot of decluttering you can do in the meantime.  Even if you're booking a container, there's no point shipping junk you won't use.   Take each room, one at a time, and think about what you really want.  If you're like most people, you've probably got a lot of stuff you don't need but is too good to throw away, or which you've just forgotten about. 

A couple of tips if you're decluttering:

Don't throw away your winter woollies or rain gear.  I gave all my beautiful wool skirts to  my sisters thinking I'd never need them, but you do acclimatise.  The first few winters I wouldn't have dreamed of wearing them to work, but after that I wished I'd kept them and my nice jumpers.  As for rain gear - when it rains, it's an absolute downpour. The first time i saw Sydney rain, I thought it was a monsoon!  So wellies and rainjackets are a must. 

Don't think, "oh that's a bit old, I'll just chuck it out and buy new when we get there" -unless you're really sick of it!    When you arrive, you've got enough on your plate without traipsing round unfamiliar furniture stores.   It's true that you'll have to wait for the container to arrive, but you'll probably have to wait just as long if you buy new furniture in Oz.  Most furniture stores here (unless you go to Ikea) don't keep much furniture in stock.  You finally find the right sofa and they say, "Yes madam, expect delivery in 4 to 6 weeks" (which will actually turn out to be at least 8).  

If you want to check the cost of replacing things in Australia, do a pretend shop at online stores like Harveynorman.com.au, petersofkensington.com.au.

• Like 1

Just give them a call, tell them you want to pack all your clothes that you will take, part of the reason they aren’t over happy is insurance on breakable/valuable items.

I found them very good, I doubt there will be a problem just put the boxes YOU pack in one location.

27 minutes ago, nickb787 said:

Just give them a call, tell them you want to pack all your clothes that you will take, part of the reason they aren’t over happy is insurance on breakable/valuable items.

Personally I would email them and get it in writing.  The people who turn up on your doorstep are not the people you've spoken to in the office.  

I've known of people who packed their own stuff, only to have the packers on the day insist on unpacking those boxes and repacking them because "it's company policy" - and then they've charged extra for the extra work.

6 hours ago, nickb787 said:

I found them very good, I doubt there will be a problem just put the boxes YOU pack in one location.

This is what we did albeit with a different company and there was no issues at all. When the guys came to pack and take our stuff, they just put our packed boxes into one of their company boxes with their company name on, sealed and labelled it.

We didnt bring any furniture though, 15 years on i do not regret that as none of our UK furniture would have suited the house we rented or bought. Super A Mart did a great deal for us on furniture and Retrovision also gave a pretty big discount when buying electronics ( a fridge, kettle, toaster etc). Most stores like that will give discounts if you ask ,so bear this mind when price searching on line.

Cal x

We used PSS  last time , we had boxes packed and plastic tubs with stuff (basically just how we were storing stuff anyway) , they just taped up the tubs and wrote PBO( packed by owner) on them.

never had any removalist unpack anything , we thought we would separate items ( wooden stuff , walking boots etc) into tubs for them to pack so they were all in one spot and again they just taped up the box and in the container it went ( we weren't watching over their shoulders, so only noticed when our stuff arrived at the other end )

My advise , if you have anything precious to pack( not necessarily of monetary value )  get some bubble wrap and pack it yourself.