190 visa NSW AGED CARE / OFFSHORE

Dean7133

Happy New Year All! 

My wife and I have been going through the visa process for 14 months now and only just about to lodge our EOI.

we were looking at Brisbane but have lost a little hope as there seems no movement at all , every now and then we’d get a glimmer of hope and then be left disappointed.

My wife is a registered nurse in the UK working in aged care , we’ve decided that our best chance is to go for the 190 for nsw we currently have 65 points.

im wondering if anyone else is in a Similar situation and had any success and how long it took after lodging the EOI ? 

TIA  

Edited by Dean7133

I recall you were looking at Queensland, just be careful if you're going for NSW.  Houses in Sydney are at least twice the price of houses anywhere in Queensland, so you may find it's not affordable.  However if your wife is a nurse, there are lots of opportunities in smaller cities in NSW.  Newcastle is the largest and a nice place to live.  

41 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I recall you were looking at Queensland, just be careful if you're going for NSW.  Houses in Sydney are at least twice the price of houses anywhere in Queensland, so you may find it's not affordable.  However if your wife is a nurse, there are lots of opportunities in smaller cities in NSW.  Newcastle is the largest and a nice place to live.  

Unfortunately that isnt the case anymore and some areas of QLD are now more expensive to rent etc than Sydney. It is more important than ever to look into areas and related property costs prior to moving on Realestate, Domain etc.

Since Covid, prices in QLD have rocketed and places are in strong demand due to so many interstate movers. The Gold Coast is the biggest example -

Statistics in the report released this week showed rental costs for all dwellings on the Gold Coast rose by 20.2 per cent, while house rental prices jumped a whopping 27 per cent, and the price to live in a high-rise got 17 per cent higher. 

Sydney recorded a 4.6 per cent increase in rental prices despite the prediction costs would decrease by about 2 to 6 per cent compared to the year prior. 
SQM Research Report author Louis Christopher said figures of the Gold Coast property crisis were "quite the record", with homes from Main Beach to Burleigh in the highest demand and with the biggest price tags. 
The median average rental price for a Gold Coast house is currently $770 per week, while in Sydney it's $722. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, calNgary said:

Unfortunately that isnt the case anymore and some areas of QLD are now more expensive to rent etc than Sydney. 

That may be true for RENTALS but that same article says, "In Brisbane, house prices are still relatively affordable compared to Sydney and Melbourne house prices and that is the case for house prices on the Gold Coast as well"

I also think the article is a bit distorted.  The "median rental" figure in Sydney includes properties over a huge area, including a lot of distant outer suburbs.   If you checked like-for-like properties in like-for-like suburbs, I suspect there would still be a noticeable difference between them. 

• Thanks 1

I’m in a similar situation, nurse with 75 points wanting to submit an offshore EoI for Queensland. I started considering submitting one for NSW too, but have decided to hold fire and see what the outcome of Queensland’s review of offshore applicants is (their website says it will be reviewed December 2021 so hoping for an imminent announcement).

We have two young children so for us it’s better to wait and get it right rather than rush just for the sake of getting over there. Although having never been to Australia before I’m not sure why I’m so certain Queensland is the state for me!

Hi , 
we’re considering lodging a 190 for NSW later today as you’re not obliged to stay in NSW should it be successful. 

We’re thinking at least this way we’ve got the ball rolling as waiting for news from the Queensland gov is painstakingly slow! Every time they make a announcement it seems to be delayed again!

Your making a great decision with Queensland!we lived and worked out in oz for 3 years previously and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else , we have a 2 year old daughter and know what a fantastic life she would have out here!

keep us updated as to how your getting on and wishing you all the best of luck!   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Thanks we’re looking at applying for a 190 in a different state then moving to Queensland 😀 

Hi, not sure if you mean moving to Qld once your 2 years is up or before but this was posted by a respected agent a couple of years ago. It seems the states are getting a bit miffed with people applying with no intention of living in that state. This isn’t a comment on you as I don’t know what your plans are but just flagging it.

1 hour ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

.... having never been to Australia before I’m not sure why I’m so certain Queensland is the state for me!

I would be having a really careful think about why you're so set on it, then, as you might be limiting yourself unnecessarily.  Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good things about Queensland.  But if you are after warm weather and a beach/outdoor lifestyle, you can get that all the way down the coast of NSW too.  The only difference is that the further south you go, the less sticky and humid it is in the height of summer.   The winter is mild all the way from Sydney to the top of Queensland.   Remember Home and Away is filmed just north of Sydney.

Personally, given the choice, I'd rather be in (say) Newcastle or Lake Macquarie than (say) Hervey Bay, because I don't cope well with humidity at all.  The beaches are just as good as anything on the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast.  I would never suggest going to or near Sydney though, as housing is twice the price of almost everywhere else in the country.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dean7133 said:

Hi , 
we’re considering lodging a 190 for NSW later today as you’re not obliged to stay in NSW should it be successful. 

We’re thinking at least this way we’ve got the ball rolling as waiting for news from the Queensland gov is painstakingly slow! Every time they make a announcement it seems to be delayed again!

Your making a great decision with Queensland!we lived and worked out in oz for 3 years previously and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else , we have a 2 year old daughter and know what a fantastic life she would have out here!

keep us updated as to how your getting on and wishing you all the best of luck!   

Yep I feel your pain with the delayed responses, very frustrating.

I also recently discovered QLD stipulate you have to have been in full time work for 6 months before submitting your EoI. I’ve only returned to full time work since  November, was previously 3 days a week due to childcare (children are 6 and 2). I emailed them to ask if there were allowances for applicants who were part time due to childcare as this is fairly normal to avoid policies which cause indirect discrimination, eg part time but 2 years worth of work, they emailed me back and said I could have multiple part time jobs but it had to total 35hrs. So I can’t submit my EoI until 1st May, hopefully they might have reviewed offshore applicants by then! 

Good luck with your plans, hopefully things will start moving now......

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I would be having a really careful think about why you're so set on it, then, as you might be limiting yourself unnecessarily.  Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good things about Queensland.  But if you are after warm weather and a beach/outdoor lifestyle, you can get that all the way down the coast of NSW too.  The only difference is that the further south you go, the less sticky and humid it is in the height of summer.   The winter is mild all the way from Sydney to the top of Queensland.   Remember Home and Away is filmed just north of Sydney.

Personally, given the choice, I'd rather be in (say) Newcastle or Lake Macquarie than (say) Hervey Bay, because I don't cope well with humidity at all.  The beaches are just as good as anything on the Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast.  I would never suggest going to or near Sydney though, as housing is twice the price of almost everywhere else in the country.

Yes I have wondered about NSW. The main thing that attracted me to QLD was the lifestyle, and in part that was due to house prices, but that has changed quite a lot sincere I first started plotting this move. 

I think I would like the option of Brisbane though if the coastal towns end up being too laid back, whereas if I was in NSW I couldn't afford Sydney. 

Yes having lived out here previously and traveled extensively my heart is definitely set on Brisbane!

We’re also in the same boat and house prices have increased massively since we first started looking over 2 years ago! 
We will have to keep everything crossed and do another affordability check as things progress!

good luck with it all , I’m sure we’ll get there 😀   

8 hours ago, Cobs_Ahoy said:

Yes I have wondered about NSW. The main thing that attracted me to QLD was the lifestyle, and in part that was due to house prices, but that has changed quite a lot sincere I first started plotting this move. 

I think I would like the option of Brisbane though if the coastal towns end up being too laid back, whereas if I was in NSW I couldn't afford Sydney. 

What lifestyle was that, exactly?   Like I said, if you mean a beach lifestyle, then that's pretty much the same all the way from Sydney northwards.  And all coastal towns are not sleepy backwaters.  For instance, Newcastle is the same size as Bristol or Glasgow.  Lake Macquarie is bigger than Oxford.   So I would advise asking yourself what size of city you'd enjoy in the UK and that will give you an idea what would work in Australia.

Also bear in mind that Brisbane is twice the size of Birmingham and four times the size of Manchester. 

9 hours ago, Dean7133 said:

Yes having lived out here previously and traveled extensively my heart is definitely set on Brisbane!

We’re also in the same boat and house prices have increased massively since we first started looking over 2 years ago! 
We will have to keep everything crossed and do another affordability check as things progress!

good luck with it all , I’m sure we’ll get there 😀   

Ah well, the two years in NSW will go by quickly and you never know, you might enjoy it!  Where would you go in NSW if you get in?