State Nominated Vs Sponsored

TheBs

Hey everyone hope you all had a great Christmas. 

I am in the process of applying for my state nominated visa, which gives us PR and more freedom as to where I work and live, as well as access to medical care etc.

However I have also been contacted by a nursing recruitment company who want to offer sponsorship. So I know with sponsored visa I have to stay in that state for 2 years, it's not PR and PR isn't garunteed either, but I'm guessing the process is quicker. 

Interested to hear from people who have been successful in going sponsored visa and then doing PR.

How did you find the process?

I've heard people say it's more expensive to live without PR how is that?

If you came with a partner were they able to find work or was it more difficult without PR?

Anything else you'd like to share please do.

Many thanks

And happy new year 🎊

Does this mean the English test went well and you’ve had your skills assessment back? 

I looked into sponsorship but was put off by the fact you have to pay school fees (apart from in Queensland I believe). I’m sure there’s more but that was what jumped out to me. 

Is the recruitment company offering a relocation package? I’m sure I read that WA were offering financial incentives to nurses who relocated there, not sure what the criteria was though.

Yes it did, My ApHRA registration had a slight hiccup, with documents being signed but they said once I have them they will re activate my account and I don't have to start the process again. 

So as soon as the portal opens in Jan for me to start skills ax I can. 

Though the recruitment company know this and still want to talk to me 😊

Well that all sounds very positive, nice start to the new year 🎉🎉

I’m still waiting for Queensland to start offshore nominations again, starting to lose the will to live and contemplating going for NSW instead now that’s a possibility 🤔 got my heart set on the Sunshine Coast though!  

Have you decided between Vic/WA yet?

15 hours ago, TheBs said:

Yes we're going for WA.

Really good news for the new year. 

Must be really disheartening just waiting. Fingers crossed you get some good news too 🙂

Have a check online because I thought they were fast tracking certain trades with nurses being one of them.

Personally if you have kids I would want to be coming over on a PR visa.

If you are sponsored by a company have you got to stay employed by them also?

I think I will, these are questions I am going to ask on the phonecall next month.

I need to make sure the kids and my husband are included on my visa.

Why would you prefer a PR just because of the kids? Is it just for that security or is there something else?

Also my added factor is that my husband is 43 this year, which is very close to the age where he won't get PR. 

So unless we can start application as soon as we're in Oz I think the safer option would be to just go for the state nominated option with PR than sponsor anyway 

2 hours ago, TheBs said:

I think I will, these are questions I am going to ask on the phonecall next month.

Why would you prefer a PR just because of the kids? Is it just for that security or is there something else?

Having to pay school fees is one

@TheBs, you sound a wee bit confused. 

If you're the principal applicant, then your husband's age doesn't matter.  He will still get PR under your application regardless of his age. 

With a 482 sponsored visa, you have to stay with your sponsoring employer (state is irrelevant) for the whole duration of the visa.  If you leave their employ, you all lose your visas and have to go home.  

There's no difficulty with your husband and children being included on the 482 or any other visa for that matter, you just include them. The employer will expect that. 

You are right, the 482 visa will get you to Australia much faster than a PR visa.  However you need to consider the costs if you don't ultimately get PR, because the risk certainly exists that you won't.  How much will the employer pay towards relocation expenses to Australia and return?  Can you afford to wear all those expenses yourself?

22 hours ago, TheBs said:

School fees, being eligible for centrelink payments and yes personally it would just be security for me.

As Marisa says if you were to come on temporary visa then the goal posts move and you couldn't get PR it would mean uprooting the kids again and potentially having to go home again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

@TheBs, you sound a wee bit confused. 

If you're the principal applicant, then your husband's age doesn't matter.  He will still get PR under your application regardless of his age. 

With a 482 sponsored visa, you have to stay with your sponsoring employer (state is irrelevant) for the whole duration of the visa.  If you leave their employ, you all lose your visas and have to go home.  

There's no difficulty with your husband and children being included on the 482 or any other visa for that matter, you just include them. The employer will expect that. 

You are right, the 482 visa will get you to Australia much faster than a PR visa.  However you need to consider the costs if you don't ultimately get PR, because the risk certainly exists that you won't.  How much will the employer pay towards relocation expenses to Australia and return?  Can you afford to wear all those expenses yourself?

Ahh thanks Marisa 

Yes I think I understood it wrong then. I thought even if I was the main applicant his age would not allow him one. 

I have only spoken in email so far, all of these questions such as relocation fees, and what is covered I haven't asked yet. I just thought I'd do some research into pros and cons before the call xx

Edited by TheBs
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lavers said:

School fees, being eligible for centrelink payments and yes personally it would just be security for me.

As Marisa says if you were to come on temporary visa then the goal posts move and you couldn't get PR it would mean uprooting the kids again and potentially having to go home again.

Ok thank you. 

Yes I understand the uproot of everyone should I not get PR would be difficult.

That's why I was wondering how many people have been successful with going on sponsor and then getting PR and how they found it x

2 hours ago, TheBs said:

Ok thank you. 

Yes I understand the uproot of everyone should I not get PR would be difficult.

That's why I was wondering how many people have been successful with going on sponsor and then getting PR and how they found it x

Unfortunately you can’t draw any conclusions from the experience of others. In general, the Government is making it steadily more difficult to transition from the 482 to PR.  So someone who did it, say, 5 years ago would’ve had a much greater chance of success than you doing it in 2years’ time.