Passport to expire during citizenship application

Hames C

Hi all,

When I’m eligible to apply for Australian citizenship, my UK passport (linked to my 186 visa) will have about 15 months until it expires. As the wait time for citizenship can be longer than this, should I renew my UK passport before I apply for citizenship? If it expires during the citizenship application will this cause an issue or delay, or is it an easy fix? 
Thank you for any advice.

It is not necessary to hold a valid passport in order to apply for Australian citizenship. 

The Australian citizenship application requires a copy of a current document with your photo and signature. That can (but doesn't have to) be a passport, but it can also be a driving licence or any other document listed as acceptable. If you do submit a copy of your current passport at the time of your Australian citizenship requirement, you will need to present it at the time of the citizenship interview, but it does not have to be valid at that time. 

Edited by DIG85

1 hour ago, DIG85 said:

It is not necessary to hold a valid passport in order to apply for Australian citizenship. 

The Australian citizenship application requires a copy of a current document with your photo and signature. That can (but doesn't have to) be a passport, but it can also be a driving licence or any other document listed as acceptable. If you do submit a copy of your current passport at the time of your Australian citizenship requirement, you will need to present it at the time of the citizenship interview, but it does not have to be valid at that time. 

Brilliant, I will just use my NSW drivers licence then!

Thank you for taking time to reply.