A few specific questions about Citizenship application

Questionsearch

Hello, finally received my 801 PR, 25 months since I applied for 820 onshore, and now have a few questions about the citizenship application just to have an idea of what I ll have to deal with when I am able to apply.

1) It says 4 years of residence with A valid visa, does that include tourist visas? Because I applied for the 820 on Nov 1st 2019 but was in Australia since early August 2019 with a tourist visa. So those 4 years of residence end on August 2023 or November 2023? (Or are there actual residential address requirements since for those first few months I was in a hotel)

2) I am assuming if someone knows English well enough to communicate they can easily pass that part of the test without studying? Since I again ASSUME the test wont be filled with obscure grammar rules not even native English speakers remember and just tests your ability to communicate well enough?

3) The "5 citizenship questions". Are they always the same? Or they are just part of a small pool of questions that can easily be memorized? From what I read they are very obvious so kinda hard to screw up?

4) Regarding the police checks, are they gonna be requiring the usual "We need one from any country you ve been in for the last 10 years"? Even if you havent traveled outside of Australia since you applied your partner visa?

5) "Close and Continuing Link to Australia" Is this some high bar to clear? Or just having a job, a bank account and paying taxes is enough? So you dont need friends, locals to make statements for you etc

6) Once you apply, how long does it usually take to get approved?

Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge and happy to be corrected:

1) I sure it would be August 2023

2) Don't understand this one, there isn't an English test as part of the application

3)There are 20 questions not five,  I don't know if you can pick up all the "pool" questions to memorise but if you do a few of the practise tests, the actual questions are easier, my whole family got 100% even though they failed quite a lot of the practise ones

4) Only countries you have spent 90? days in since you got your visa

5) Someone needs to make the statement (fill in a form) but not a high bar if your staying here any way

6) How long is a bit of string - it was close to 18 months for me. In the last 5 years it ranged from 6 months to 24 months, at the moment it varies between states and even local councils

Thanks, though regarding

2) My mistake, thought it was just the 5 Aus values questions and the rest would be questions to "prove basic knowledge of the English language". I actually just checked the test they have on their site and damn, it is easy, got 90% and all 5 even with my extremely limited Aus history knowledge xD

5) About that, by someone you mean a friend/someone with Aus citizenship has to fill in a form for you to accompany your citizenship application? Similar to how partner visa require 888 statements from others.

Thanks again, this cleared things up a lot.

11 hours ago, welljock said:

Re item 5 they need to be of a particular occupation: see form 1195 here for what has to be completed: https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/help-support/departmental-forms/pdf-forms

Um this is a bit concerning, good thing I asked about this process years in advance cause if I was not aware of it the most likely result would be not knowing anyone who happened to be in those very specific occupations. Because it isnt like you can ask for that from someone you just met a few times over the years for a medical check, they dont really know you that well and they see a ton of people every day and have no reason to bother with that form for you, plus not like I go to doctors often.

Out of curiosity what is the most likely easiest way to get that if you dont happen to have any close friends/colleagues working in those areas? I imagine a psychologist could work out the easist since due to the nature of their work they do end up knowing you anyway so you could ask them for that form hmm

1 hour ago, Questionsearch said:

Um this is a bit concerning.......Because it isnt like you can ask for that from someone you just met a few times over the years for a medical check, they dont really know you that well and they see a ton of people every day and have no reason to bother with that form for you, plus not like I go to doctors often.

Yes, you can.    They do not have to be a close friend or even an acquaintance.  

In my case, I see my doctor maybe three times a year, mainly just to get repeat presciptions.  She was happy to sign my form for me.  I had to make an appointment to see her, which is fair because I was taking up her time.

I think a dentist is also on the list. For your own health, you should be having your teeth checked and cleaned by a dentist every six months. Due to the nature of the work, they do tend to chat more with you and get to know you more than a doctor, I find.  So that is another option.

Edited by Marisawright

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes, you can.    They do not have to be a close friend or even an acquaintance.  

In my case, I see my doctor maybe three times a year, mainly just to get repeat presciptions.  She was happy to sign my form for me.  I had to make an appointment to see her, which is fair because I was taking up her time.

I think a dentist is also on the list. For your own health, you should be having your teeth checked and cleaned by a dentist every six months. Due to the nature of the work, they do tend to chat more with you and get to know you more than a doctor, I find.  So that is another option.

I am definitely surprised they were happy to do it, assuming they see a lot of people over the day, would be hard to even remember who you are if you only seem them every 3 months.

but it is good to know that is still a valid option, thanks 

9 minutes ago, Questionsearch said:

I am definitely surprised they were happy to do it, assuming they see a lot of people over the day, would be hard to even remember who you are if you only seem them every 3 months.

You might be surprised.  In my work, I have often worked in offices of 600-700 people and the nature of my job is that I met many of them every day.  I was surprised, myself, at how many of them I could recognise.   It's a matter of having triggers to revive your memory.  In the case of the doctor or dentist, they have all your history in front of them, and that helps them to remember you. 

To repeat, they don't have to certify that they know you WELL.   They just have to certify that they have known you for x years, and that is true.

Edited by Marisawright