Should my 15 year old sit her GCSEs in may/ June 21 or should we go asap

carly baker

We have been granted a 491 visa since February 2021 but due to covid haven’t been able to leave the Uk. Our visa is now on the list for entry and we want to go ASAP but our daughter is in year 11 and due to sit her GCSEs exams in may/June 2021 she is predicted very good grades 7/8/9s As and Bs.

So I really need help, I know GCSEs mean nothing in oz but what if she wants to return to the Uk once she is 18, should we wait for her to do her exams but risk the borders closing again or should we leave ASAP and get her into a local school and gain her Australian equivalent of high school certificate? She wants to continue studying and do A-levels or the equivalent in oz 

any help greatly appreciated, we also have a son in year 7.

You're right, GCSES mean diddly squat in Australia but as she's only 15 there isn't a rush to get her to Aus to start  year 11 in  Jan 2022 (when does she turn 16 is sort of the question really) so let her do GCSE in case your Australian dream may turn into a nightmare and she wants to return to UK education at some point. Then she can start year 11 in Australia at the beginning of 2023 and that will slot in neatly. 
Please don't get hung up on the relative year level names BTW.  She may be in year 11 in UK but her age cohort in Australia may still be year 10 and, no, she won't be "repeating" anything because it's a foreign country with different education systems (we can't even get all the states to agree on the same thing!).  The other question of course is could you even get here for a January start if you did decide to go straight away? She really won't want to miss any of year 11/12.

Ideally, you could wait until she's finished A levels so as to keep all her options open but by then you'd be having much the same issues with your year 7 (or whatever Australian year he may be) child.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, she will be 16 in may, we want to go at the latest in June 2022 as we have  already wasted a year of our visa. 
I’m not worried about her going back a year slightly but I was kinda hoping that there maybe an option for her to do her exams in oz maybe privately so that she doesn’t miss out and we can get there ASAP. 
Doing her A-levels in the Uk is not an option otherwise our visa will expire and like you said I’ll then be in the same situation with my son 🙈

Also until we find a house we don’t know where my daughter can go to school so I’m finding it very hard to look at schools for her and subject options. School application are open her for a levels and she is looking at subjects but I really need her to be looking at her options in oz 

4 hours ago, carly baker said:

Also until we find a house we don’t know where my daughter can go to school so I’m finding it very hard to look at schools for her and subject options. School application are open her for a levels and she is looking at subjects but I really need her to be looking at her options in oz 

It may not be possible, but is there no one she could stay with in the UK in order to finish her A Levels there? 

My own family moved (though not to a different country) just as I was approaching my O Levels. I just went into lodgings with a succession of kind family friends until I had done both O and A Levels as I refused to change schools. Went very smoothly and I had a great couple of years with good exam results. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carly baker said:

Thanks for the reply, she will be 16 in may, we want to go at the latest in June 2022 as we have  already wasted a year of our visa. 
I’m not worried about her going back a year slightly but I was kinda hoping that there maybe an option for her to do her exams in oz maybe privately so that she doesn’t miss out and we can get there ASAP. 
Doing her A-levels in the Uk is not an option otherwise our visa will expire and like you said I’ll then be in the same situation with my son 🙈

Well, June will be just fine for her age wise starting year 11 in 2023. Remember that Australia is a foreign country not an extension of Britain - it had nothing British about its education systems - certainly there are overseas assessments from some of the bigger boards like Cambridge, but not AFAIK in Australia and they would have had to have done that board's curriculum. If you want to come before June perhaps you can leave her with relatives until her exams are done. 

You're already getting  into the "going back a year" thing - she isn't going back a year, she's moving to a foreign country to do a curriculum she had never done before and she will be joining her age cohort. In a handful of states she could be in a higher year but that's not really going to help her much at all.

Edited by Quoll

11 hours ago, carly baker said:

As Nemesis said, can she stay with relatives to do A levels? Is what I would do if I were in that situation - minimal disruption and literally keeps all get options wide open. She can spend holidays with you.

• 2 weeks later...

She has to come with us, we need to go as a family. I understand her GCSEs won't matter in Australia, its just we should have left a year ago and now when we can finally go but are so close to her exams its a tough decision weather to wait for her to do exams or hurry up and leave the UK asap to start our new life but don't want to make the wrong decision. I won't leave her here with family incase the unthinkable happens again and the borders close and we are separated.

2 hours ago, carly baker said:

She has to come with us, we need to go as a family. I understand her GCSEs won't matter in Australia, its just we should have left a year ago and now when we can finally go but are so close to her exams its a tough decision weather to wait for her to do exams or hurry up and leave the UK asap to start our new life but don't want to make the wrong decision. I won't leave her here with family incase the unthinkable happens again and the borders close and we are separated.

Getting PR for her and the rest of your family should be your priority.  So in your shoes, i would be moving asap and forget about the exams.  I know it seems like a waste but in the bigger picture, they are not important.  I'm sure she will be upset at doing all that hard work and then not seeing the result, but that's for you to manage as a parent. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's any certainty that Australia won't at times close their borders/restrict entry in the future.  If you're in a position to come over I'd do it asap to actually get here.  The landscape seems to change daily.

• Like 1

Thank u we have booked our flights today 12 weeks time, I’m terrified and excited at the same time. I know it’s the right thing to do and don’t want to waste anymore time, the kids will have such a better life in Australia and I know one day my daughter will thank me x

• Like 2
  • Congratulations 1

2 hours ago, carly baker said:

Thank u we have booked our flights today 12 weeks time, I’m terrified and excited at the same time. I know it’s the right thing to do and don’t want to waste anymore time, the kids will have such a better life in Australia and I know one day my daughter will thank me x

Good luck with the move.  I remember it being a very bitter sweet time - sadness at leaving whilst being excited for our future.  We've never regretted the move.  Expect that it will take awhile to settle and start carving out a new life for yourselves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ali said:

Expect that it will take awhile to settle and start carving out a new life for yourselves. 

Yes, this in spades.   You're moving halfway round the world after all, it's bound to be horribly stressful.  The rule of thumb is, "if it can go wrong, it will go wrong".   Try to ride the bumps and remember the goal you have in mind.  Good luck.