Will have a mortgage in the UK restrict me from getting a mortgage in AUS

Connorhaley

Me and my girlfriend (Australian citizen) are currently living in the UK and have a mortgage. We are looking to move to Australia and when we do so renting out the property we both own in the UK. 

My question is would mortgage companies in Australia look at this and think we have two mortgages to pay and reject us? Or would they not factor it into play as rent covers the mortgage even though it is “another mortgage”

furthermore I’ve read up about the tax threshold and know I’ll have to declare it on my AUS tax return and I’ll be WELL under the threshold. 

if anyone can be of help that would be great! Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 15/12/2021 at 10:28, Peach said:

Australia is a different country.  Your UK mortgage and assets are not considered when taking a loan out here. 

I'm surprised at that.  Are you sure?   I know they ignore your British track record (creditworthiness etc), but if Australian banks are ignoring overseas debts when lending money to people, that sounds incrediibly foolhardy. 

21 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

I'm surprised at that.  Are you sure?   I know they ignore your British track record (creditworthiness etc), but if Australian banks are ignoring overseas debts when lending money to people, that sounds incrediibly foolhardy. 

When I most recently applied for an Australian mortgage (November 2020), my broker told me not to disclose UK assets or liabilities. So I didn’t. Whether the broker advised me not to because there is no requirement to do so, or because it would improve the chances of my application being successful, I know not.

Edited by DIG85

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

My UK mortgage and house values were not considered when I have applied for mortgages in Australia, in 2012, 2016 or 2019.  It's not that they ignore your UK credit history it is that privacy laws forbid the information be shared.  Similarly the bank has no legal means of checking what your UK debts and assets are.

11 minutes ago, Peach said:

My UK mortgage and house values were not considered when I have applied for mortgages in Australia, in 2012, 2016 or 2019.  It's not that they ignore your UK credit history it is that privacy laws forbid the information be shared.  Similarly the bank has no legal means of checking what your UK debts and assets are.

I assume you didn't mention them at all?  Did they ask the question and you said you had none, or they didn't ask?  Just wondering about the legality of it. 

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:
20 minutes ago, Peach said:

Is this the case even when you include foreign income from your UK property in your tax return?

The banks may access information on a property there?

Edited by daveysing

On 14/12/2021 at 15:37, Connorhaley said:

Me and my girlfriend (Australian citizen) are currently living in the UK and have a mortgage. We are looking to move to Australia and when we do so renting out the property we both own in the UK. 

My question is would mortgage companies in Australia look at this and think we have two mortgages to pay and reject us? Or would they not factor it into play as rent covers the mortgage even though it is “another mortgage”

furthermore I’ve read up about the tax threshold and know I’ll have to declare it on my AUS tax return and I’ll be WELL under the threshold. 

if anyone can be of help that would be great! Thank you!

I think you will need to let your mortgage lender in the UK know that it is now not a residential mortgage if it wasn't a buy to let property.

2 hours ago, daveysing said:

Is this the case even when you include foreign income from your UK property in your tax return?

As far as I know you have to declare world wide income? We certainly declare our UK rental income.

I’m no expert.

That's what I was thinking too, because we've had members here who haven't declared their UK property to the Australian taxman, and ended up paying thousands in fines.  However, banks don't have access to ATO information so they're not likely to find out.  

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's what I was thinking too, because we've had members here who haven't declared their UK property to the Australian taxman, and ended up paying thousands in fines.  However, banks don't have access to ATO information so they're not likely to find out.  

Yes, I've declared it because I was going for citizenship and wanted to do everything by the book.

Ofcourse now I can't backtrack so I'm wondering about the first property requirements for exemption on stamp duty.

Yes, I've declared it because I was going for citizenship and wanted to do everything by the book.

Ofcourse now I can't backtrack so I'm wondering about the first property requirements for exemption on stamp duty.

Even if you declare it, it won’t affect first home buyers or exemption

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Even if you declare it, it won’t affect first home buyers or exemption

Something I've always wondered. I've owned a property in Australia before, so I wouldn't get first time buyers. But my wife hasn't. If we bought the property in her name, could she get first home buyers?

19 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I assume you didn't mention them at all?  Did they ask the question and you said you had none, or they didn't ask?  Just wondering about the legality of it. 

I offer the information via my broker as was told (most recently for ING) that there was no section of the form for foreign assets/income/debts.

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you don't tell them how would they ever know?

Banks don't do a worldwide search for information.

1 hour ago, Parley said:

If you don't tell them how would they ever know?

That's true, but they could easily have a clause in the mortgage to say you must disclose all assets and liabilities.  Then let's say you end up in financial trouble because the combination of British and Australian debts is too much, the taxman and the legal system get involved and it all comes out.  Then the bank could charge you with fraud because you kept your UK debts secret.

24 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

That's true, but they could easily have a clause in the mortgage to say you must disclose all assets and liabilities.  Then let's say you end up in financial trouble because the combination of British and Australian debts is too much, the taxman and the legal system get involved and it all comes out.  Then the bank could charge you with fraud because you kept your UK debts secret.

Not really. All they care about is holding a first mortgage covering the property. They will typically lend only 80% of the value and know they will get their money back.

They will just sell your house if you default.

• Like 1