How dangerous is the wildlife in Queensland?!? πŸπŸ¦ˆπŸŠπŸ•·

Cobs_Ahoy

12 hours ago, newjez said:

This is probably going to blow everyone's mind, but, we have a screen door in the UK.

One of my friends in Scotland has horses and the stables are in a yard near their house. Β What with the horses and cattle there are plenty of flies around. Β She has screened doors and windows.

• Like 1

On 13/12/2021 at 08:22, ramot said:

Of course we have air conditioning, but perhaps a strange concept to you like many here weΒ Β prefer fresh air in the house. Fresh air is free! You might not be aware unless you live here on the Sunshine Coast, that most of the year the weather is lovely, there is absolutely no need for aircon, so most people only use it during a few months in summerΒ Have hardly needed it yet this year, Β fans and fresh air more than adequate.

We only close all doors and windows on very hot days cool the house with aircon powered by solar. By the evening here it has cooled outside so we throw open all the doors and windows and welcome the evening breeze. We have run the aircon overnight very rarely in a heatwave. I prefer to sleep with fresh air circulating from open windows. Β All our doors and windows have screens. I actually have less spiders and flies in my house than I did in the UK.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Weathers been rubbish here on the Sunny for weeks now but to be fair it’s not normally.

On 12/12/2021 at 08:40, Cobs_Ahoy said:

have the Sunshine Coast in mind because I liked the sound of the the sun-tropical climate, national parks, beaches and the fact that it seemed less developed/more laid backΒ than other bits of the coast

The Sunshine Coast is experiencing massive development. Houses prices going through the roof. Rentals extremely hard to get with a lot of people homeless or living in caravanΒ Β parks if they are lucky. https://www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/Experience-Sunshine-Coast/Statistics-and-Maps/Population-Growth
Most of Australia want to move here at the moment. It is beautiful but not the quiet laid back place it was even 3 years ago.Β 
Yes we have bull sharks ( never seen one yet) sharks,Β huntsmen spiders and snakes ( watch Sunshine Coast snake catcher on YouTube to get an idea)Β but you just learn to live with them. Im more scared of the fast movingΒ geckos and getting mosquito bites.Β 
Personally I’d prefer here to Melbourne.Β 

Hello CobsAhoy

I lived in Queensland for a while, and also traveled from Brisbane up to The Tip of Cape York.

The entire time I was there, I only saw one crocodile (in Weipa) and it was dead.

I have seen more deadly wildlife in Sydney

But obviously you need to be sensible, only a nutjob would swim somewhere like the Daintree River, or go into the sea in Cairns during jellyfish season.

I have heard there are bull sharks in the rivers around the Sunshine Coast, but there are bull sharks in Sydney Harbour inlets too, and people (including myself) still still, boat and waterski there.

Just be sensible. Don't swim at dusk. Don't swim near the mouth to estuaries. Don't swim when bleeding. Don't swim near meatworks.Β  I cannot remember the guys name, but he is on YouTube. He flies a drone over Bondi Beach every day - you see sharks near swimmers and surfers almost daily - but attacks are extremely rare.Β 

I would not leave my door open anywhere in Australia, due to mozzies and snakes. But you can still have a breeze, by installing a fly screen door.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2