No idea where to start- Vic to Gold Coast

sammy11480

Hello

I have just accepted a job on the Gold Coast starting in January 2022. We are currently in Victoria.

I am not sure how we are going to find a house to rent. We have no family or friends there to view a property for us. Do you know if you can put in an application without viewing the property?

Can we book removals without having a house yet? 

Does anyone know any good storage companies if we dont get a house in time? Thinking we might have to air b and b.

Many thanks for advice from anyone who's made the move.

Sam 

Most agents won't let you sign a lease without viewing the property, and anyway I would strongly advise against it.  You could try a corporate relocation service like this one:

https://www.relocateus.com.au/relocate-gold-coast-australia

Alternatively, book a holiday let or an AirBnB for a month.  

For removals, how much stuff have you got?   I would consider something like PODS:

https://www.auspods.com.au/

If you do an ordinary removal and your home isn't ready, you're risking more damage when your goods are unpacked into storage, repacked into another truck, and then unpacked again when you find a place.  

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

Go up in shifts - one of you go, find a place then the other pack up and send your stuff.  You can stay in airbnb for a few weeks until you get something sorted out. Meanwhile, start decluttering.

Normally I would say the same thing, but currently Queensland's borders are closed to Victorians.

9 hours ago, sammy11480 said:

Hello

I have just accepted a job on the Gold Coast starting in January 2022. We are currently in Victoria.

I am not sure how we are going to find a house to rent. We have no family or friends there to view a property for us. Do you know if you can put in an application without viewing the property?

Can we book removals without having a house yet? 

Does anyone know any good storage companies if we dont get a house in time? Thinking we might have to air b and b.

Many thanks for advice from anyone who's made the move.

Sam 

Hi

Do you know the Coast well? If not i would definately book a holiday let for a few weeks until you find a suburb that suits your needs. South GC is totally different to North GC, the hinterland side can feel worlds apart from suburbs just 10 mins away on the beach side. The variation is hard to understand unless you have seen it.

There are loads of hotels, apartments and cabins ,so renting one for a few weeks won't be too hard.

Cal x

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Normally I would say the same thing, but currently Queensland's borders are closed to Victorians.

The border is schedule to open on either 10th or 17th December depending on when Queensland reaches the 80% vaccination threshold.

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 18:28, Marisawright said:

I'm pretty sure they'd get an exemption for starting the new job, but any earlier visits might be hard to get permission for.

I wouldn't bet on it. There are some people who actually live here already who still can't get exemptions to come home. 

On 03/12/2021 at 08:40, Parley said:

Yes. I read they are reopening on December 17th.

I was surprised they are still closed actually.

The date they originally announced was the 17th but they are expecting to meet the vaccination target sooner so (before Omicron) were saying it might open on the 10th (not sure why it needs to be a Friday). I certainly hope it does open on the 17th as we're planning to cross the border on the 20th and if we can't with our house already sold we'll effectively become homeless!

• Like 1

Take it all with a pinch of the proverbial. We are on a 4 night break in Vic From SA. When we left Sa on Thursday our permission to return had zero conditions as the area we are in is very low risk.  Now Saturday and we need to test on arrival then isolate on our return plus again 6 days later. Ok except we now need to show a negative test on entry to SA taken within 72 hours. Great we go home Monday. Found out Saturday and no options for a test anywhere close till Monday afternoon.  So no hope of getting a result as we planned to cross back Monday morning. Trying to make sense of info on line but hopeless. Managed to speak to someone in vic who had access only to same info online we did.  No chance of getting through to SA to check if we need to test twice in the same day or if we can get home on Monday.  Scott promised no more interstate closures, but he has no control of this mess!  Changes occur without warning and people get caught out despite following all the rules at the time of travel.

• Sad 1

On 04/12/2021 at 15:41, Ken said:

The date they originally announced was the 17th but they are expecting to meet the vaccination target sooner so (before Omicron) were saying it might open on the 10th (not sure why it needs to be a Friday). I certainly hope it does open on the 17th as we're planning to cross the border on the 20th and if we can't with our house already sold we'll effectively become homeless!

It is opening on Monday 13th December at 1am.

You need to get a negative covid test 72 hours before arriving and get another test on Day 5 after arriving.