Secondary teacher 189 visa

39 minutes ago, Kristie said:

How about a family sponsored visa? I would i be eligible for one if I had family living in Australia? 

If you had parents or siblings living in Aus then maybe, but they aren't prioritised over other sponsored visas so you are in the same pot as the 190 and 491 applications

14 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

If you had parents or siblings living in Aus then maybe, but they aren't prioritised over other sponsored visas so you are in the same pot as the 190 and 491 applications

So if I had family living in Australia , I do, in a regional area, who were willing to sponsor (which would take me to 100 points ) this could be a better option? 

If you had parents or siblings living in Aus ...

An eligible relative can be:

• a parent
  • a child or step-child
  • a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister
  • an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
  • a grandparent, or
  • a first cousin

6 minutes ago, wrussell said:

If you had parents or siblings living in Aus ...

An eligible relative can be:

• a parent
  • a child or step-child
  • a brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, step-brother or step-sister
  • an aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle, step-aunt or step-uncle
  • a nephew, niece, adoptive nephew, adoptive niece, step-nephew or step-niece
  • a grandparent, or
  • a first cousin

It is a step aunt - in WA?

8 minutes ago, wrussell said:

WA plays no part in deciding which family members may sponsor,  nor does any other state or territory.

What does that mean sorry?! 

20 hours ago, wrussell said:

States and territories can set the criteria under which they might nominate visa applicants, but only the immigration department (or whatever they happen to be calling themselves) can set criteria for skilled or other family nominations.

So what is your opinion then?what is best route?

not really getting much positive input?!

Edited by Guest

30 minutes ago, Kristie said:

So what is your opinion then?what is best route?

not really getting much positive input?!

I think it would be a good idea to have a consultation with a migrant agent.  wrussell above is a well regarded agent on these forums.  It would be worth paying a small fee to have a proper chat.  At least then you’d be clear as to where you stand. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, wrussell said:

As a rule I do not give telephone advice. I reduce all advice to writing, so it is  more efficient and certainly less susceptible to error to use email in the first place. I do not charge for preliminary assessments.

To the original poster, given what has been said here, you will lose nothing in having a quick preliminary assessment. I'd go for it if I was you and see if it answers your questions.

The only thing you might waste is a few minutes of time

I am constantly amazed by people who use the contact form on our website and include an invalid email address.

From our assessment form:

The purpose of our preliminary assessment is to advise prospective applicants whether they appear to qualify. Detailed case analysis and advice about strategy are beyond the scope of a preliminary assessment.

Complete this form and send it to us as an email attachment and a Registered Migration Agent will assess your visa prospects.

If a question does not apply to you write N/A. Spouses of applicants MUST complete a separate assessment form, so must de facto (common law) partners and same-sex partners and dependants 17 years of age or older; even if not applying for a visa. Please send files to us in pdf, or Word format as email attachments  not via Dropbox, or Google Docs, or  similar and not in Apple Pages format.

For teachers:

1. Pre-migration skills assessments are (for the most part) criterion referenced, but invitations to apply for a visa are norm referenced. The latter introduces an hymenopterous, aeronautical insect into the salve. 

2. Teachers can work in Australia without a skills assessment, provided they are registered to teach in Australia and hold a visa with work rights. 

3. In most cases registration to teach makes a skills assessment straightforward and relatively inexpensive.

4. Some teachers come here on a 417 or similar and dig their own graves by changing bed sheets in a motel, instead of working in their profession; not only teachers. 

5. If you think that being an Australian-born citizen, having half a decade satisfactory secondary teaching experience in one of the non-existent Australian secondary colleges, post graduate qualifications and a physics major qualifies one to teach physics, think again. Your B. Ed major was mathematics curriculum studies, so... This did not matter when I was supply teaching; woodwork, Japanese, French, mothercraft... for 5+ years when waiting for a permanent appointment. At the time teachers with any major were being offered a ten week conversion course to become mathematics teachers.

6. How would you like to child-mind year 9 girls (the most objectionable creatures in the known universe) for a lesson in mothercraft, there being no preparation provided; of course:  Ladies, can you help me out by letting me have your estimate of how big  a baby is when it is born? The largest estimate was 20 cm. Ladies, I have bad news for you... and I bluffed my way through a further 45 minutes. Think on your feet!

7. I was lucky enough to be injured at work and medically retired. I should have stuck to writing  scrofulous novels.

8. If you do not know what you are talking about, don't let that stop you. 

9. As David Niven wrote (in paraphrase) You think I know F*** nothing,  but I know F*** all.

10. The world runs on BS.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2021 at 00:50, 31Hillbury said:

My partner is a secondary school teacher, we received a QLD 190 invite in Jan 2020. Still waiting for a grant! 
Temper your expectations. Nothing appears to. Be quick at the moment.

Eddie

Hi Eddie, 

I apologies if you have already answered this question; how many points did your partner have? 

I am a secondary history teacher, I have received my aitsl certification that I can teach in Australia. 

English: about to write the exam. 

Years of experience: less than 3

Total point 75 with nomination 80. 

How likely am I to get the 190 invitation? 

Thanks in advance! 

On 24/12/2021 at 19:38, Emily91 said:

Hi Eddie, 

I apologies if you have already answered this question; how many points did your partner have? 

I am a secondary history teacher, I have received my aitsl certification that I can teach in Australia. 

English: about to write the exam. 

Years of experience: less than 3

Total point 75 with nomination 80. 

How likely am I to get the 190 invitation? 

Thanks in advance! 

I think we had 85-90 if I recall correctly.

I wouldn’t like to speculate on likeliness. 
I would consult a reputable migration agent though, they will guide you in the best direction and have the most up to date information.

On 02/12/2021 at 05:06, skyeman said:

Each state has list of postcodes that you must live & work within. What state are you proposing? We applied in April 2020 but I am the main applicant rather than my wife who is the teacher. We have 95 points. We haven't had a case officer assigned yet and print loaded the police certificates and medicals back in April 2020 thinking we would "fast track" it by making it decision-ready

Do you know if your wife had to write a particular English exam because she is a teacher? I know the UK, Canada, NZ and a few others get a bypass for the aitsl in that we don't have to prove our English skills to aitsl. But when it comes to the English component for the 190 visa and scoring points do we have to write the ielts exam? Thanks in advance for your help! 

Edited by Emily91

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to add to this post to give others positive encouragement.

I was invited to apply to NSW for a 190 - secondary teacher - quite quickly after EOI was lodged.

Don’t let the negative comments put you off! 

4 hours ago, Kristie said:

I just wanted to add to this post to give others positive encouragement.

I was invited to apply to NSW for a 190 - secondary teacher - quite quickly after EOI was lodged.

Don’t let the negative comments put you off! 

But note this thread is about the 189 visa which is a whole different kettle of fish and far, far more difficult to get.

• Like 1

Also note that the 190 and 491 were also discussed.

I find your comment unnecessary. 

On that note I am leaving this forum.