Secondary teacher 189 visa

Hi,

My partner and I are currently looking into emigrating but finding the whole process confusing.

I am a secondary teacher with an estimated 85 points, so in theory should be able to gain the 189 visa.

However, it seems that only engineers with 90 points are being invited to apply.

Am I correct in thinking this? Are any teachers currently applying? Or being successful?

Teaching (secondary) is still high on the demand/desired list so I’m just abit confused!

Thanks for any feedback and/or advice !

🙂

8 hours ago, Kristie said:

My partner and I are currently looking into emigrating but finding the whole process confusing.

I am a secondary teacher with an estimated 85 points, so in theory should be able to gain the 189 visa.

No, in theory you don't stand a chance. 

You only need 65 points to apply, but it's a competitive process.  It's just like applying for a job - everyone who applies for the job is qualified, but the shortlist is made up of the people with the best qualifications, and the other applications are discarded.

For several years now, there have been so many applicants with 95 to 100 points, they've filled the "short list" and there's been no need for Immigration to even look at other applicants.  So 85 points is not nearly enough. Is that including the English test?

You would stand a chance of getting a 190 or 491 visa.  Points are much less relevant for them, because they are offered by the individual states, and each state decides what's important for them. They'll be looking at what subjects you teach, for instance.  

Teachers are still in demand because it's so difficult to find teachers willing to work in country areas. There's no shortage of teachers in the major cities, in fact teachers are having trouble finding work. 

Edited by Marisawright

12 hours ago, wrussell said:

Your visa prospects would depend to some degree on the subject/s you teach and whether you are willing to work in a remote area, as well as the usual qualifying criteria.  

Hi, 

Yes,

I have a degree in the subject I teach and a PGCE.

I would be willing to go to a remote area initially.

So what do you think would be the best way forward? 

It does not have to be the 189 I just thought that would be the best way forward, and then obviously when you do the points calculated it says you are eligible which is a bit misleading!

Do you think points will be lowered at any point, I keep seeing articles about impressing teacher shortages so thought we might be lucky!!

Thanks,

kristie

Just now, Kristie said:

Hi, 

Yes,

I have a degree in the subject I teach and a PGCE.

I would be willing to go to a remote area initially.

So what do you think would be the best way forward? 

It does not have to be the 189 I just thought that would be the best way forward, and then obviously when you do the points calculated it says you are eligible which is a bit misleading!

Do you think points will be lowered at any point, I keep seeing articles about impressing teacher shortages so thought we might be lucky!!

Thanks,

kristie

‘Imposing’ teacher shortages.

Since July this year the Department has invited a total of 450 people to apply for a 189 visa. The chance of receiving an invite is very low unless you have high points and an occupation on the Priority List.

A 190 visa will depend on the individual State requirements, with many States only inviting people already living in there.

Things may change due to increasing skills shortages and easing border restrictions. 

Only time will tell. 

11 hours ago, Kristie said:

It does mislead people but it shouldn't.  What it's saying is, you're eligible to apply.   What people miss is that it's a competion, like applying for a job.  Just because you have all the qualifications, that doesn't mean you'll get picked or even make the shortlist.

Whether the points are lowered isn't under Immigration's control.  It all depends who else is applying that year. If there are lots of people with high points, they'll fill the quota and lower scores won't get a look-in.   For several years now, there have been hundreds of applicants with more than 90 points so no one else stands a chance, and I think that's unlikely to change.

30 minutes ago, Raul Senise said:

Since July this year the Department has invited a total of 450 people to apply for a 189 visa. The chance of receiving an invite is very low unless you have high points and an occupation on the Priority List.

A 190 visa will depend on the individual State requirements, with many States only inviting people already living in there.

Things may change due to increasing skills shortages and easing border restrictions. 

Only time will tell. 

Thank you 🙂

Do you think this is due to Covid etc though, and restrictions/ needing less people/workers.

Is it normally *a little* easier?

I know teachers that  have emigrated , are they just applying at the correct time? Is this just weird circumstances?

Thanks for any advice!!

kristie

Just now, Kristie said:

Thank you 🙂

Do you think this is due to Covid etc though, and restrictions/ needing less people/workers.

Is it normally *a little* easier?

I know teachers that  have emigrated , are they just applying at the correct time? Is this just weird circumstances?

Thanks for any advice!!

kristie

In part yes, although I think it is also restructuring of a program that was not working well. A handful of occupations were dominating he program. 

Pre COVID, from memory,  2000 invites were issued per month.

The whole COVID period has been challenging as the Migration goalposts are shifting constantly, even more rapidly than usual. 

• Like 1

Thanks,

So as a migration agent, do you have any advice, do we just wait it out and see what happens?

Do you see the climate changing at present or will it be in the future?

Do you think we have no chance?

Thanks!

kristie

22 minutes ago, Kristie said:

So as a migration agent, do you have any advice, do we just wait it out and see what happens?

Do you see the climate changing at present or will it be in the future?

Do you think we have no chance?

Like I said, you have no chance at a 189 unless you can get more points (perhaps a few more years' experience?).  But I'd say it will be worth trying for the 190 or the 491.  It will depend on your subject:  if you're maths or science, the states are always desperate for them for country schools.  

I'd suggest your best bet is to book a one-off consultation with an agent like Raul.  They can go through your situation in more detail and help you put a plan together.  

7 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Like I said, you have no chance at a 189 unless you can get more points (perhaps a few more years' experience?).  But I'd say it will be worth trying for the 190 or the 491.  It will depend on your subject:  if you're maths or science, the states are always desperate for them for country schools.  

I'd suggest your best bet is to book a one-off consultation with an agent like Raul.  They can go through your situation in more detail and help you put a plan together.  

I think as I gain more work experience I will lose point on the age 😞 so will even out.

it must be almost impossible to get over 85 points as I am getting full in almost all sections apart from the Australian study sections 😞 

I have done WHV already when I was younger! Should have waited until I was a qualified teacher 😞

25 minutes ago, Kristie said:

I think as I gain more work experience I will lose point on the age 😞 so will even out.

it must be almost impossible to get over 85 points as I am getting full in almost all sections apart from the Australian study sections 😞 

Have you included points for the English test?

Edited by Marisawright

11 hours ago, Marisawright said:

That's positive. My wife is a maths teacher and we are awaiting a 491 regional QLD grant and plan to base ourselves in a country-ish area

3 hours ago, 31Hillbury said:

My partner is a secondary school teacher, we received a QLD 190 invite in Jan 2020. Still waiting for a grant! 
Temper your expectations. Nothing appears to. Be quick at the moment.

Eddie

Thanks, 

Aww, congrats!

Yes I’m just hoping that once Covid / restrictions ease things will get going and teachers / other professions will be invited to apply.

can I ask how many points they have? And which visa did they apply for? 

kristie

1 minute ago, skyeman said:

That's positive. My wife is a maths teacher and we are awaiting a 491 regional QLD grant and plan to base ourselves in a country-ish area

Thank you, 

I don’t mind going rural. Are there a list of places you can go on this visa?

when did you apply? 

can I ask how many points she had? 

thanks, 

kristie

23 minutes ago, Kristie said:

Thank you, 

I don’t mind going rural. Are there a list of places you can go on this visa?

when did you apply? 

can I ask how many points she had? 

thanks, 

kristie

Each state has list of postcodes that you must live & work within. What state are you proposing? We applied in April 2020 but I am the main applicant rather than my wife who is the teacher. We have 95 points. We haven't had a case officer assigned yet and print loaded the police certificates and medicals back in April 2020 thinking we would "fast track" it by making it decision-ready

28 minutes ago, Kristie said:

Thank you

We are between WA and Queensland - I would just have to see where the jobs are in my subject at the time of applying -if I am able to.

WA are not interested in secondary school teachers, even from onshore, unless you have a WA degree or other qualification. 

55 minutes ago, paulhand said:

WA are not interested in secondary school teachers, even from onshore, unless you have a WA degree or other qualification. 

Just at the moment? Or ever?