Visa 884 and 864

nate17

Hi everyone,

I am sure some of these questions have already been asked here before. I apologise for repeating them if that's the case. I will try to keep it as simple as possible.

1. Is Contributory Parent Visa (Temporary) - 884 faster to process than 864 or the process time is pretty much the same? (I am aware that the wait time for 864 is currently closer to 10-15years)

2. Is the queue same for all 143, 173, 884 and 864 ? is any priority given to onshore applications?

Thanks in advance

@nate17 All contributory parent visas are in the same queue. Given that the temporary two year visas (173 & 884) therefore take as long as the PR visas  and then have to apply again  for PR it’s silly to do it that way as it will take longer and cost more. Best to go straight for 143 or 864 - but be aware there’s an estimated wait time of around 18 years for new applications. 66000 in queue already and only 3600 grants per year.  Onshore visas used to be processed  quicker but immi realised there was a mistake and 864 visas are now on hold till 143 catch up with them 

Edited by LindaH27

@LindaH27Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is crazy how the demand has skyrocketed for the Parent Visas over the past few years. 

Do you know whether applicant gets full work rights with the Bridging A visa when they applied for 864 while holding a visitor visa without "no further stay" condition?

Cheers

5 minutes ago, nate17 said:

@LindaH27Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is crazy how the demand has skyrocketed for the Parent Visas over the past few years. 

Do you know whether applicant gets full work rights with the Bridging A visa when they applied for 864 while holding a visitor visa without "no further stay" condition?

Cheers

I’m not sure - possibly but given that they have to be 66.6 years to be eligible for 864 - would they still want to work??

Also the BVA doesn’t kick in until the existing visitor visa ends. So if they had a 12 month one the bridging visa wouldn’t kick in until that ended  - bear in mind the age criteria for 864 is going up to 67 years in 2023. 

@LindaH27I didn't know that, the age limit is getting changed in 2023.

They would prefer to do some part time work if possible, to keep them occupied with something. But so far I have found conflicting information from other sources, about the work rights when they issued a BVA after applied to 864. 

Edited by nate17

55 minutes ago, nate17 said:

@LindaH27I didn't know that, the age limit is getting changed in 2023.

They would prefer to do some part time work if possible, to keep them occupied with something. But so far I have found conflicting information from other sources, about the work rights when they issued a BVA after applied to 864. 

According to immi website you can work on Bridging visa A “ if you meet the requirements for work”  I don’t know what those requirements are!

Also there is a senate enquiry going on into parent visas - it’s due to report next March. There could be some changes after that. To be honest,  Australia doesn’t really want old people as they have worked out that each parent  can cost the Australian tax payer $410,000 over the rest of their lifetime with medical and aged care costs!! That’s why they’ve been dropping  the number allowed and are also looking at onshore parent visas as 143 doesn’t allow  parents to wait onshore and that causes some resentment amongst applicants. 
They would prefer young skilled migrants who will work and grow the economy and have children in the future rather than a rapidly ageing population which is becoming  the norm in a lot of countries now. 

• 1 year later...