Jlm

What is the correct order of things when applying for onshore 864?

Hi,

I am an Australian citizen and my 74yr old Mum, who is British, would like to apply for an onshore Contributory Aged Parent Visa (864).  Have I got the process correct: 

She flies into Australia (when we’re back open) on an eVisitor visa (3m).  Then applies for the 864 when she gets here.  She should then receive a Bridging Visa A allowing her to stay onshore while the 864 is being processed. 

Is the eVisitor visa the correct visa for her to fly into Australia with, if she is hoping to apply for an onshore Contributory Aged Parent Visa when she gets here or is there a more appropriate one? 

Thank you in advance for your time and help with this. 

Yes, just an ordinary visitor visa is fine.  Just watch out, because if it has a "no further stay" condition on it, then she won't be able to stay and apply for the bridging visa.  

I hopw you're aware of the downsides of living on a bridging visa for the next 15 years or so. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband granted UK spouse visa March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

My new novel, A Dance With Danger, due out August 2022

An eVisitor can’t have a no further stay clause imposed, as the legislation doesn’t allow for that. 

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post.