Moving home soon - terrified

LO_in_aus

I would agree...it would be a nightmare living in limbo like that!

Enjoy your memories and go make some great new ones in the UK.

Personally I would like to retire back to the UK, but financially it just doesn't make sense for me (after 26 years here)...so I have just accepted that "it is what it is" and am looking forward to making the most of my life irrespective of where I live.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 19/11/2021 at 18:14, LO_in_aus said:

Hey everyone,

Hoping you can help. I've lived in Australia for 5 years and I'm moving back to the UK in 3 weeks.

In my heart, I know I'm doing the right thing. My partner and I are both on temporary visas with no path to permanent residency despite living here and paying taxes for half a decade. We are both unhappy in our careers but can't change jobs because they are tied to our visas. We both know what we want to do (he wants to be a property developer and I want to go back into Communications) but we can't. Staying here would mean settling in careers we aren't happy in.

Plus there are a lot of things I'm excited for in the UK. Being close to my family, going on country walks, going to the pub, the live music scene, the food. Plus we are able to travel so freely as we're so close to everything - the only place I've travelled to aside from the UK in the past 5 years is Bali and I LOVE travelling and exploring new cultures.

We also want to buy a house and invest in property, get a dog, go travelling (we're going to Central America for 6 months in January). We can't do any of this here because of our visas.

However, it's so so hard giving up our life here. We live in an apartment right on the beach, get paid very well, have made some good friendships here and (besides our careers) are generally happy. Everyone keeps telling us we are crazy for moving back to the UK which makes things harder.

The worst thing is, we know that if we do regret leaving then we might not be able to ever move back because we don't have Permanent Residency or citizenship. Although my current employer is gutted I'm leaving and has said he would sponsor me and re-employ me if I ever wanted to return (although I am moving away to get out of this job).

I guess I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm making the right decision as everybody keeps saying I'm mad for leaving which is so frustrating.

Has anybody ever been in a similar position? Any positive returning stories?

Thank you!

You must be back now.  How are things going?  I hope you are settling back in ok.