Parley

The Ashes 2021-22

Looking forward to a great series. I hope England will be competitive.

Everyone says Australia will win easily.

First match starts on December 8th.

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

13 hours ago, Parley said:

Looking forward to a great series. I hope England will be competitive.

Everyone says Australia will win easily.

First match starts on December 8th.

Most comments I’ve seen in the international press have England as the favourites. 

• Haha 1

Australia lost their captain today.  That’ll be enough to hand England the Ashes 

• Haha 1

Not a great start to things. Tim Paine the Australian Captain has just resigned because of a sexting scandal.

I hope Steve Smith gets appointed again. He has done his time and should get another chance.

• Confused 1

I hope Australia behaves and plays fairly. It would be great to see The Barmy Army back in town, but not sure how many will be prepared, or indeed able to travel. I suspect a close game with England wining. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

I hope Australia behaves and plays fairly. It would be great to see The Barmy Army back in town, but not sure how many will be prepared, or indeed able to travel. I suspect a close game with England wining. 

England whining is assumed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Perhaps Australia could have one of its bowlers elevated to Captain. Pat Cummins comes to mind. Bowlers as captains are rare, although Richie Benaud, Wasim Akram, and Shaun Pollock, all of whom were bowlers, were also very good captains. 

Edited by Dusty Plains

I’ve always objected to the word whining or whinging which implies that the complaint is unjustified or of little importance.  I heard it used a great deal in Oz whenever I raised an objection to something which was patently ridiculous but had been done that way for years.  (An example off this topic - the school where I taught French had 2 streams, advanced and standard, which was fine except it was the parents who chose which stream their child went into!)

Edited by Cup Final 1973
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

I’ve always objected to the word whining or whinging which implies that the complaint is unjustified or of little importance.  I heard it used a great deal in Oz whenever I raised an objection to something which was patently ridiculous but had been done that way for years.  (An example off this topic - the school where I taught French had 2 streams, advanced and standard, which was fine except it was the parents who chose which stream their child went into!)

Nice whinge…

• Haha 1

I have to say in my opinion the Brits do love a whinge.  Whilst some people are just miserable,  I’ve come to the conclusion for many it’s simply a hobby.  I smile at the constant moans on local Facebook pages about the temporary traffic lights or the latest houses being built and they are in heaven should someone mention the long queues to get through to the doctors surgery (this alone can produce incredible whinging which equates to a kind of happiness) The winner is of course the weather, the whinging about that has no end.  But…..I don’t think these people are really complaining/being horrible, they just don’t realise they’re doing it, it’s a ground in hobby. 

• Like 4

England will get absolutely decimated in the Ashes. I will be surprised if they even win a test TBH...

7 hours ago, Parley said:

Not a great start to things. Tim Paine the Australian Captain has just resigned because of a sexting scandal.

you cant do nothing now days 😞 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

I have to say in my opinion the Brits do love a whinge.  Whilst some people are just miserable,  I’ve come to the conclusion for many it’s simply a hobby.  I smile at the constant moans on local Facebook pages about the temporary traffic lights or the latest houses being built and they are in heaven should someone mention the long queues to get through to the doctors surgery (this alone can produce incredible whinging which equates to a kind of happiness) The winner is of course the weather, the whinging about that has no end.  But…..I don’t think these people are really complaining/being horrible, they just don’t realise they’re doing it, it’s a ground in hobby. 

I thought Brits could whinge before I went to Australia!!  Gawd blimey can they whinge.  There's a subtle difference - the brits whinge out loud wear as the aussies  are covert whingers - scared to stick their heads above the parapets.

true that is... 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Best whinge of all time was by the Aussies when Gary Pratt ran out Ricky Ponting at Trent Bridge in 2005.

10 hours ago, simmo said:

I thought Brits could whinge before I went to Australia!!  Gawd blimey can they whinge.  There's a subtle difference - the brits whinge out loud wear as the aussies  are covert whingers - scared to stick their heads above the parapets.

true that is... 

I actually tend to largely agree. While Brit's do moan, they only stand out because Aussies tend to be compliant at best and feel the need to keep emotions in check at worse. I can see fgew on here lived in London among youngish Aussies/Kiwi's  where even a tee shirt was dedicated to woes of life in The Big Smoke. Warm Beer, Horrible Weather, Rip off Rents, Whinging Poms, and so on. Language not quite as genteel of course. 

Few like Australians who tool every opportunity in telling the locals how bad their country was, but especially how good OZ was. Bit of a bore to many. 

But for complainers hard to beat certain Europeans. My take is Aussies should speak out  more with what has been happening. Poms moan about real things. The weather while an ice breaker, is not one of them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Cup Final 1973 said:

Quite so. Infuriating. 

13 hours ago, Red Rose said:

England will get absolutely decimated in the Ashes. I will be surprised if they even win a test TBH...

Want to put some money on that?

17 hours ago, Red Rose said:

The odds on England are very long, probably too long given that neither team have showed much form at all.  Might be worth a small wager.

The inference is that home advantage will see Australia over the line and England's bowling is too weak to take 20 wickets in a match.

Edited by Robert Dyson

16 hours ago, simmo said:

I thought Brits could whinge before I went to Australia!! 

Wasn't that the reason you went home something like 40 years ago?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Australian facebook pages are similar dogs barking, escaped dogs, people parking on nature strips, road works.   The difference is that the UK has real stuff to moan about, my home town Facebook page is constantly full of theft, mugging, night prowlers, work vans being emptied of tools..on and on and on, it never stops. 

There is some truth in saying that some people live for moaning and will find things to moan about, the UK is full of Hilda Ogden's and Dot Cotton's and Australia remembers Mrs Mangel.  It's why they resonate so well as TV icons, people who watch these shows like it because they recognise it and enjoy it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

We all enjoy a good whinge once in a while.  Can't say that I've noticed much difference (unlike some) between the Brits and the Aussies though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

Wasn't that the reason you went home something like 40 years ago?

He’s not a pom…

1 hour ago, Robert Dyson said:

Australian facebook pages are similar dogs barking, escaped dogs, people parking on nature strips, road works.   The difference is that the UK has real stuff to moan about, my home town Facebook page is constantly full of theft, mugging, night prowlers, work vans being emptied of tools..on and on and on, it never stops. 

There is some truth in saying that some people live for moaning and will find things to moan about, the UK is full of Hilda Ogden's and Dot Cotton's and Australia remembers Mrs Mangel.  It's why they resonate so well as TV icons, people who watch these shows like it because they recognise it and enjoy it. 

Same.  Facebook page for the last place we lived in the U.K isn’t a good read, and I’m damn glad my daughter didn’t have to grow up  there…