Waldo

Enrolment into school

Me, my wife and our son are moving to Brisbane in May 2022.

When do we enrol our son into school?

Can we Enrol from the UK?

I understand that there are catchment area's and stuff.

My son and wife are Australian citizens and I'm a PR 

TIA

No, you'll need to wait until you arrive because all schools have priority enrolment areas and they are obliged to find places for kids in their catchment. So your first priority is to find a home you want to live in 24/7 then you will be able to front up with details of your address and they will find the kids a place - they like you to wait a day or two so they can get things organised but technically if you rock up you could, theoretically leave them there straight away (not a good way to start the relationship though).  If you decide that you want a school which is somewhere else, you can apply for an out of area enrolment but whether they accept you or not is anyone's guess and depends very much on their capacity.   If you choose to go private then, yes, you could probably enrol from overseas if they are accepting enrolments. 

Don't sweat it though, nobody is going to give a toss if a kid is out of school for a few weeks or months of that is what it takes to get you settled somewhere. 

House and job first, school second. 

As Quoll said, no one is going to fret if the kids dont start school until a month or two after you arrive.  Everyone understands that migrants need time to settle in.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke