Stuck in ‘Paradise’

proud preston

6 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've just been reading that organised and transnational criminal gangs see Australia as a honey pot and are laundering up to $50 billion a year through unregulated "gate-keeper professionals" such as lawyers, accountants and real estate agents.  Crooks are buying luxury cars, yachts, art, jewellery and cash-based businesses to wash their dirty money a Senate inquiry has been told.

Apparently the Australian government has repeatedly failed to take the necessary actions to meet the Financial Action Taskforce recommendations and lacked the political will and resolve to address and to take action.  

The inquiry was told Australia was seen as an attractive destination for foreign proceeds from the Asia-Pacific as well as Africa and Russia.

Here's me who gets a bit anxious at tax time ensuring all is as it should be.  What a joke.

Australia has long been a place to laundry money within the real estate industry. Very easy and easy gains for all apart from those within Australia having to  mortgage their lives away of course. 

Sadly we have in Australia Royal Commissions that come out with all sorts of recommendations be that into finance, police, banking (need a real estate one) but little is acted upon. 

So we are in a situation where we are. Government won't introduce  integrity   standard  monitoring for good reason. Look at local government in OZ as well. 

All I can say is don't be taken in by so called professionals. A license to 'misbehave ' with apparent impunity and the scenario resulting is not in accordance, to my thinking anyway, with the medium or longer term interests of the nation in mind. Greed being the common denominator and nothing like easy money to corrupt.   

Edited by Blue Flu

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

I've just been reading that organised and transnational criminal gangs see Australia as a honey pot and are laundering up to $50 billion a year through unregulated "gate-keeper professionals" such as lawyers, accountants and real estate agents.  Crooks are buying luxury cars, yachts, art, jewellery and cash-based businesses to wash their dirty money a Senate inquiry has been told.

Apparently the Australian government has repeatedly failed to take the necessary actions to meet the Financial Action Taskforce recommendations and lacked the political will and resolve to address and to take action.  

The inquiry was told Australia was seen as an attractive destination for foreign proceeds from the Asia-Pacific as well as Africa and Russia.

Here's me who gets a bit anxious at tax time ensuring all is as it should be.  What a joke.

Australia the land of money laundering while hardly new has led to some what could be termed 'tragic' consequences around Australian property . Developers made a bomb from such practices as did a whole posy of self interest groups from politicians to real estate to the finance industry.  Few scruples detectable but it hardly stops at real estate. 

There are reasons it can be safely assumed the Morrison government doesn't want to establish an integrity commission. We have had Royal Commissions into banking and financial sector, the police back in early 00's, all at great expense with next to no real outcome outside of window dressing. Most remains the same. 

Corruption is a very well oiled machine from my observation. Ingrained and near impossible, without great risk to do much about. Greed rules and scruples, let alone integrity are words in another language.  

• Like 1

Just to add my tuppence worth re the government - I’m aware that corruption is rife in governments worldwide (are people crooked before they’re elected or do they become crooked?) but....I find the government here - federal and state have a total disregard for the environment and wildlife. Australia kills thousands of kangaroos - for football boots and pet food. People buy into the myth that’s gleefully perpetuated that they are ‘pests’ The true pests being humans. A country that savagely kills its national emblem! Tourists come to Australia to see this unique native animal. 

Australia could be such a fabulous country if there was a huge change in mindset. Honouring past wisdom whilst being progressive and looking to the future. I’m sick of seeing greed for short term gain and yes, the wilful destruction of habitat / wild areas does make me want to leave. Australia not signing up to reduce methane is deplorable - we are led by cowboys - quite literally - who are too invested in animal agriculture to admit that it is a major producer of methane. 

Australia could do so much better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Culling kangaroos is necessary. No one wants to do it, but it is far better to have professional shooters kill them humanely than have thousands of them starving to death which was happening.

They don't have natural predators so do need to be kept in check to have manageable populations. Several years ago they were all over Canberra looking for food during the drought.

41 minutes ago, Parley said:

Culling kangaroos is necessary. No one wants to do it, but it is far better to have professional shooters kill them humanely than have thousands of them starving to death which was happening.

They don't have natural predators so do need to be kept in check to have manageable populations. Several years ago they were all over Canberra looking for food during the drought.

LOL yeah, meeting one in your front garden whilst dashing out in your pjs to collect the page was heart attack territory - he was a big bugger too! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, proud preston said:

Just to add my tuppence worth re the government - I’m aware that corruption is rife in governments worldwide (are people crooked before they’re elected or do they become crooked?) but....I find the government here - federal and state have a total disregard for the environment and wildlife. Australia kills thousands of kangaroos - for football boots and pet food. People buy into the myth that’s gleefully perpetuated that they are ‘pests’ The true pests being humans. A country that savagely kills its national emblem! Tourists come to Australia to see this unique native animal. 

Australia could be such a fabulous country if there was a huge change in mindset. Honouring past wisdom whilst being progressive and looking to the future. I’m sick of seeing greed for short term gain and yes, the wilful destruction of habitat / wild areas does make me want to leave. Australia not signing up to reduce methane is deplorable - we are led by cowboys - quite literally - who are too invested in animal agriculture to admit that it is a major producer of methane. 

Australia could do so much better. 

Big problem in the land of nod , among other things is drugs. Big part of black economy and little done to get to the root of the problem,

Edited by Blue Flu
  • Like 3

@Parley - I disagree but we’re different people with different ideas and beliefs. Killing humanely is a complete oxymoron when someone doesn’t want to be killed. The joeys are bludgeoned to death. The kangaroos aren’t always killed at first shot and can be left with awful injuries. 

The industry does not keep stats on how many are killed. Who sets the bar on what is a ‘manageable population’ ? Kangaroos have existed here for millions of years yet us Europeans have labelled them a pest. They will have lived through drought before. The British and other Europeans - as we are all aware - took great swathes of land for farming cows. They saw (see) kangaroos as a pest -despite the fact that one cow eats far more grass than a mob of kangaroos. 100 years ago koalas were near extinction as it was big business to turn their fur into hats. The US government at the time stepped in to stop this ( well influenced policy.) Do other countries need to step up again? Slaughtering a tourist attraction. Drought - are you aware of how much water animal ag uses? 

I am British - of course - but we have decimated so much of Australia - First Nations, wildlife and habitat - and continue to do so. 

First Nations used (use) kangaroos for food yet had a deep respect for them. Colonialists and present day Aussies kill them in the thousands for profit -nothing to do with ‘management’ - big lies perpetuated to protect big business. And......some people really do get a kick out of shooting animals. We see it in ‘big game’ photos. A public inquiry was recently held in NSW and one fellow confirmed (from the Kangaroo Industry) that their shooters are now having to go further afield to look for kangaroos to kill and are killing females - used to be males- females with babies. It’s profit - pure and simple. 

• Like 3

Animals are killed in every country in the world. I have no idea what relevance this has to you. Unless you are claiming the UK doesn't kill any animals which is obviously absurd.

I don't know if a kangaroo is more inherently special than any other type of animal.

Any animal that is killed for any reason should have a quick painless death. I have certainly never heard of joeys being bludgeoned to death and i sincerely hope that isn't true.

• Like 2

@Robert Dyson- and your point being? Are you suggesting that it’s ok to kill as they are ‘just’ animals? Everything as an inherent instinct to survive. I purposely said ‘someone’ as the label ‘something’ allows total disconnect. 

@Parley- the relevance to me in that I live in Australia (currently) and I’m not hampered by a complete apathy to the wildlife that we share this country with. Kangaroos have to contend with habitat destruction, wildfire, traffic and people who choose to kill them to earn a dollar and farmers who see them as a pest. I believe that there is a nasty mindset - worldwide - of looking after number one and not considering others. 

Yes, bludgeoning babies to death is factual. Kangaroos are also looking for food as their habitat has been destroyed by farmers - think of the great areas of land, devoid of many trees, used to farm cows - and housing developments. It’s pathetic (in the true sense of the word) to see the yellow and black kangaroo signs in housing developments that was once habitat. 

I’m aware that the UK kills animals. I’m talking about an animal that we exploit for tourism, on the coat of arms, coins, Qantas etc and yet we savagely kill. Many of us are quick to pour scorn on so called ‘trophy hunters’ in African countries. How is killing native wildlife here any different. I’m sorry that you’ve digested the myth that there are ‘too many’ and they need to be ‘managed/culled’ - awful euphemisms. I wish more people would open their heart and be a little kinder to the animals we share this country (the planet) with. ‘We need nature, nature doesn’t need us’

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, proud preston said:

@Robert Dyson- and your point being? Are you suggesting that it’s ok to kill as they are ‘just’ animals? Everything as an inherent instinct to survive. I purposely said ‘someone’ as the label ‘something’ allows total disconnect. 

So does the label "everything" which you used in the previous sentence. 

@Robert Dyson- ok - we’ve skewed away somewhat from my original post regarding my sad feelings regarding living here for ...ever. It’s starting to feel a bit like we’re being petty. Almost waiting for the ‘slip up’ - ahh gotcha! I didn’t want that. Too much of that on FB. I’ll leave it just here if that’s ok? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, proud preston said:

@Robert Dyson- ok - we’ve skewed away somewhat from my original post regarding my sad feelings regarding living here for ...ever. It’s starting to feel a bit like we’re being petty. Almost waiting for the ‘slip up’ - ahh gotcha! I didn’t want that. Too much of that on FB. I’ll leave it just here if that’s ok? 

Yes, let's leave kangaroos out of it and get back on topic. Although to be fair, you were the one who mentioned them.

I can understand why you brought them up.  When you get people questioning why you want to go home, and it seems like "a deep yearning for my homeland' isn't enough for them, you feel you have to come up with reasons why you dislike living in Australia.  And then you start mentioning stuff which isn't your real reason at all, just to convince that person.  

You don't need to.  The only reason you want to leave Australia is that you love home, and that's all the reason you need.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 08:49, Marisawright said:

Yes, let's leave kangaroos out of it and get back on topic. Although to be fair, you were the one who mentioned them.

I can understand why you brought them up.  When you get people questioning why you want to go home, and it seems like "a deep yearning for my homeland' isn't enough for them, you feel you have to come up with reasons why you dislike living in Australia.  And then you start mentioning stuff which isn't your real reason at all, just to convince that person.  

You don't need to.  The only reason you want to leave Australia is that you love home, and that's all the reason you need.

Hi Marisa - well said as always.

@proud preston it sounds like you are in a really low place - wishing all the best to you. I’ve been there. Sometimes you just have to shrug your shoulders and say “this is just what I prefer and makes me happy” - no further justification needed. 

• Like 3

On 11/11/2021 at 18:49, Marisawright said:

Thanks @proud preston for starting a very illuminating post. I had to check it wasn’t me posting - I share so many of your thoughts! I usually have 1-2 months per year ‘at home’ (one I went for a few weeks and stayed 6 months - sorry hubby). If I wasn’t ‘stuck’ here (grown up son with MH problems, daughter wanting children, hubby preferring here), I’d be on the plane tomorrow and probably never come back. I’ve been here 15 years, a lot of them good and have never properly settled. I’m nearly 60, still have a house in UK and haven’t sold it because I couldn’t bear not to have somewhere to ‘return to’. We live in a busy, congested area of Brisbane and I’m sick of the traffic noise, constant construction and noise! A huge difference from the Sussex Downs. I don’t think living in Brisbane can ever compare to the quality of life that I had in the UK. That’s because the things I value (architecture, country walks, decent pubs, community, close friendship and siblings) can’t be found here. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go home for good now and for some reason growing old in this strange place is terrifying. But I think we’ll sell the UK house, try to find somewhere nicer to live in Brisbane away from traffic and noise and concentrate on travel when we can. The reason for quoting Marisa was that I think she’s spot on - I need to stop whinging about all the irritating incidentals - corruption, climate change, lack of integrity, lack of building controls, concreting over green spaces, crappy telly, the fact that Australians shout all the time, bullying in the workplace, the dog poo etc!  All these things are found everywhere. My misery stems from being away from the place that I belong and that’s all.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

Thanks @proud preston for starting a very illuminating post. I had to check it wasn’t me posting - I share so many of your thoughts! I usually have 1-2 months per year ‘at home’ (one I went for a few weeks and stayed 6 months - sorry hubby). If I wasn’t ‘stuck’ here (grown up son with MH problems, daughter wanting children, hubby preferring here), I’d be on the plane tomorrow and probably never come back. I’ve been here 15 years, a lot of them good and have never properly settled. I’m nearly 60, still have a house in UK and haven’t sold it because I couldn’t bear not to have somewhere to ‘return to’. We live in a busy, congested area of Brisbane and I’m sick of the traffic noise, constant construction and noise! A huge difference from the Sussex Downs. I don’t think living in Brisbane can ever compare to the quality of life that I had in the UK. That’s because the things I value (architecture, country walks, decent pubs, community, close friendship and siblings) can’t be found here. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to go home for good now and for some reason growing old in this strange place is terrifying. But I think we’ll sell the UK house, try to find somewhere nicer to live in Brisbane away from traffic and noise and concentrate on travel when we can. The reason for quoting Marisa was that I think she’s spot on - I need to stop whinging about all the irritating incidentals - corruption, climate change, lack of integrity, lack of building controls, concreting over green spaces, crappy telly, the fact that Australians shout all the time, bullying in the workplace, the dog poo etc!  All these things are found everywhere. My misery stems from being away from the place that I belong and that’s all.

I'd tread carefully before selling up in UK. At least at the moment you know if it becomes unbearable there are options. That may help make all those negatives you pointed out possible to live with. Removing that prospect could even trigger greater ill effects around losing those options and feelings of being trapped. There are few things outside of health worse than homelessness in the age, I feel. 

If you find somewhere in QLD that more suits your requirements in lifestyle, then fine , but if me I'd hang out until then. But possibly a tall order to find somewhere to compete with the South Downs. You could try and convince yourself that things like  warmer weather make living easier in the age. While the TV doesn't bother me, a lot of your grievances I share whole heartily.  

• Like 1

@Chortlepuss- that’s me! Aside from the fact that I’m from Lancashire 😀 I also find it scary the thought of growing old here. Yes, agree about the things we find irritating/upsetting but COP 26 has just solidified my anxiety/disgust/disdain surrounding the current government - they’re like a throwback to the 1950’s. @Antipodista- thank you. I think maybe I whinge a bit too much rather than being in a really low place. Utter contentment when I’m looking at my back garden or hiking (as long as it’s cooler weather!) or swimming in the sea but yes....there is a low grade sadness about not living the life I thought I would live..

@Chortlepuss- I tend to agree with @Blue Flu- if I had a house in the UK there’s no way I’d be selling it (unless of course needed for finances etc) I was so, so sad when our family home was sold as mum had lived there 60 years before she died last year. It was gut wrenching to sell it and I used to love being there when I went back - like a comforting warm, snuggly jumper. 

You never know what will happen in a few years time and it could be a good bolt hole for any of your family for many reasons. 

8 hours ago, proud preston said:

@Chortlepuss- I tend to agree with @Blue Flu- if I had a house in the UK there’s no way I’d be selling it (unless of course needed for finances etc) I was so, so sad when our family home was sold as mum had lived there 60 years before she died last year. It was gut wrenching to sell it and I used to love being there when I went back - like a comforting warm, snuggly jumper. 

You never know what will happen in a few years time and it could be a good bolt hole for any of your family for many reasons. 

I would love to keep it as a holiday home and live there part of the year but in reality we would be better off selling it, paying off our small mortgage here and moving to a nicer suburb in Brisbane - or at least one that isn’t so busy and offers a bit of peace & quiet. Psychologically it will be a wrench as the idea of not being able to ‘go home’ ever would be daunting. But the money raised would pay for a lot of holidays and if we had a nicer house here in Brisbane then it may make us more attractive to house exchangers from Europe. My head says yes but my heart says no! I know what you mean about family homes though - we sold my mum’s home near Brighton a few years ago (before prices really boomed)! It was the house I grew up in with a view of the sea, nothing flash but years of memories- it broke my heart! 

Edited by Chortlepuss
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chortlepuss said:

I would love to keep it as a holiday home and live there part of the year but in reality we would be better off selling it, paying off our small mortgage here and moving to a nicer suburb in Brisbane - or at least one that isn’t so busy and offers a bit of peace & quiet. Psychologically it will be a wrench as the idea of not being able to ‘go home’ ever would be daunting. But the money raised would pay for a lot of holidays and if we had a nicer house here in Brisbane then it may make us more attractive to house exchangers from Europe. My head says yes but my heart says no! I know what you mean about family homes though - we sold my mum’s home near Brighton a few years ago (before prices really boomed)! It was the house I grew up in with a view of the sea, nothing flash but years of memories- it broke my heart! 

I think there is a clue in what you say.  I didn’t feel sad at all when my family home was sold after my dad died, it was the only home I knew until I moved out and I had a very happy time with fond memories, but I guess I just don’t get emotionally attached to things. I never felt homesick when I moved out for uni, unlike a few people I knew. And have never longed to go back to the UK since I moved here.

Now people are another thing and the only reason I return at all, I don’t dislike the UK but there are so many other places to go!

I guess I am someone who looks at new adventures and moving forward than someone who is very nostalgic for the past. I make a good migrant!

My husband is also a forward planner but is also more nostalgic and does get a bit homesick sometimes. Having said that I am due to go to a reunion next May with 10 great friends for our 60th year (some I have known since birth, others from school) and he doesn’t want to come for the trip! He said he just needs a proper holiday without all the obligations to travel up and down to see everyone.

• Like 4

Whatever failings  the UK has and they are considerable, those of us that enjoy foreign travel, find it far more comfortable to do and far cheaper than undertaking it from Australia. Besides the ability to be able to live easier without the need of a car, together with closeness of places locally are to me the main attractions to being in UK.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rammygirl said:

I think there is a clue in what you say.  I didn’t feel sad at all when my family home was sold after my dad died, it was the only home I knew until I moved out and I had a very happy time with fond memories, but I guess I just don’t get emotionally attached to things. I never felt homesick when I moved out for uni, unlike a few people I knew. And have never longed to go back to the UK since I moved here.

Me neither.  We're the kind of people who make good migrants, I guess.  Some people are just more attached to places and things than others.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Me neither.  We're the kind of people who make good migrants, I guess.  Some people are just more attached to places and things than others.

Same here. I don’t hanker for the past, I live in the present. I’ve always been up for new experiences, and had some amazing experiences and adventures, including taking a job in Zambia in the 1960’s, and finding I had family there and in Zimbabwe, that I had not known about. How great was that, and the most unlikely thing then, was we have all ended up in Australia!!
I do appreciate that we are all different, but it’s so sad to hear how unhappy some posters are, I have lived in some quite difficult countries, far harder than Australia, but have always managed to make the most of the experience and time spent there, so I’m used to adjusting, but the difference is that they were always temporary, although 10 years in a Muslim country was long enough, but made so many long term friends there, that that is the important memory.   We then retired to Australia nearly 19 years ago leaving our 3 children in UK, we are completely settled here, 2 of our children followed us and settled here, but our only grandchildren are in UK, yes we miss them, but we accept that, our children have to live their own lives, as do we.

Pre covid we went to UK most years for 3 months, loved seeing our son and grandsons, caught up with friends, but know it was all a bit unrealistic to expect the same sort of excited get togethers with friends to be the same if we moved back there, as experienced by many of our expat friends who have found that out, been disappointed, and had to build their lives up from scratch again.

I hope that some of the deeply unhappy posters can find a compromise or solution, seems so sad to spend so much of your life unhappy. I wish you well.

Edited by ramot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 08/11/2021 at 12:15, nuttychemist26@yahoo.co.uk said:

I feel exactly the same. Came here even we had a great life in UK. I am sick of Aussie , ‘she be right!’ Or ‘No worries!’ Ignorance is bliss so they say but I am now prepared to go it alone as I am so homesick. I hate it here. 

You and me and the chemist both. I can't bear it here.

We came across 12 years ago and had our third child here. Children are settled, wife has her career and her friends and despises the UK now, her parents and brothers are also here in Perth and of similar mindsets. Therefore I am completely and utterly stuck.

There's nothing here.

No Twickenham, no cars, no driving on nice country roads, no seasons (really), no Christmas, no family (on my side), no culture, no real history, no blackbirds, robins, fields of green, no holidays in Europe (unless you're prepared to sell a child to afford to stay on 'Rotto' and book 2 years in advance). This might be rose-tinted but it's a true reflection of what my life was full of previously. Now, I am a shell of the person who came here with a hope of positive change. 12 years have certainly solidified my thoughts about what I need to feel happy and the need to re-earth myself in Gloucestershire is beyond crippling.

Being broiled on an annual basis is depressing as are the people with their false and phoney overtly masculine 'beer o'clock' mentality... and don't get me started on 'morning tea' or the obsession with AFL or cricket.

With no possibility of 'going home' because of my family I can't even talk to anyone about how I feel because it will be the end of things... and I simply can't let that happen for the sake of our children and my wife's happiness.

So I'm resigned to living in a place I hate, with a longing to go home that is slowly eating away at my soul... with no hope of returning to the UK until the children are settled into their own lives and much older.

Only 15-20 years to wait.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, 22B said:

No Twickenham, no cars, no driving on nice country roads, no seasons (really), no Christmas, no family (on my side), no culture, no real history, no blackbirds, robins, fields of green, no holidays in Europe (unless you're prepared to sell a child to afford to stay on 'Rotto' and book 2 years in advance). This might be rose-tinted but it's a true reflection of what my life was full of previously. Now, I am a shell of the person who came here with a hope of positive change. 12 years have certainly solidified my thoughts about what I need to feel happy and the need to re-earth myself in Gloucestershire is beyond crippling.

We have blackbirds on the south east coast, it appears to be very different from Perth, a lot more history and culture though nothing on the UK scale....4 very distinct seasons, currently you can hardly tell the difference from the UK, green and wet, misty mountains, rivers overflowing....though i guess why that's why they call it NSW.   We have a lot working over here from WA, they won't go back until they retire when they want a more sedentary lifestyle.

At the beginning of the pandemic a mate living up on the coast near Coffs Harbour got out and went back to the UK and has just spent 18 months in Presteigne, not far from Gloucestershire.  Although he was locked down for an awfully long time and has been unable to return to his home in Australia when he wanted to, he's had a whale of a time immersing himself back in English pub culture, done lots of walking and retraced the Bruce Chatwin travel books, he's spending money on nice meals and generally reconnecting with an old culture, even if it had been forced upon him.  He is now desperate to get back to Australia for the summer though, he doesn't fancy being stuck there for another winter.  There is something to be said for taking long breaks...places can't make you happy if you're unhappy, they can relieve symptoms.

Edited by Robert Dyson
  • Like 2