Visa Advice - Newly Qualified Primary Teacher

Family R

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I also wouldn't advise studying in Australia unless you are rich.  The fees are very high.  You'd be able to work while your wife is studying, but you'll have difficulty getting a job. Employers will know you're reliant on your wife's short-term visa so they worry that you'll disappear suddenly.  And once again, you're taking the risk of moving the whole family to Australia with no guarantee you'll be able to stay.

Not only that, there will also be the issue of school fees for the kids and though the states differ on amounts, the dependents of international students can be up for $10k+ per child pa

2 hours ago, Family R said:

Thank you.

We’d only go on a 190 as we don’t want to go regional. It’s either that visa or nothing I think.

Why wouldn't you go to a Regional area?  I can only speak for QLD but lots of the areas on the Regional postcode list are not ''in the sticks''. Some places are only approx 30 mins to the beaches of the Gold Coast, others just 40/45 mins from Brisbane city etc. Don't be put off thinking you would be in the middle of nowhere with no amenities if that visa is your best option to get here.

I would speak with an agent and get their opinion on the best route into Aus.

Cal x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, calNgary said:

Why wouldn't you go to a Regional area?  I can only speak for QLD but lots of the areas on the Regional postcode list are not ''in the sticks''. Some places are only approx 30 mins to the beaches of the Gold Coast, others just 40/45 mins from Brisbane city etc. Don't be put off thinking you would be in the middle of nowhere with no amenities if that visa is your best option to get here.

I would speak with an agent and get their opinion on the best route into Aus.

Cal x

The Sunshine Coast Qld  is regional, so as Cal says above check where the regional areas are and you might be surprised 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, calNgary said:

Some places are only approx 30 mins to the beaches of the Gold Coast,

The beaches of the Gold Coast are defined as ‘regional’ for the purposes of the 491 visa. It’s perfectly fine to live and work in Surfers Paradise for example. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Family R said:

Thank you all

i made an incorrect assumption that it would be a remote area. Sunshine Coast is where we want to go ideally.

Paul - I’ll get in touch in the new year to book that consultation and see if there is a path.

thanks all again

I wouldn't wait, just have the chat now. In the new year you will be so much closer to the next AUS election, and the undoubted changes to immigration that will bring if previous elections are anything to go by

To out it in perspective, when we applied I had done my expedited vetassess career review and English PTE test submitted my EOI for a 190 and received a request to apply for nomination in less time than you are considering waiting to talk to an agent. I guess if you are really keen to move it shows in actions...

Edited by Ausvisitor

1 hour ago, Family R said:

i made an incorrect assumption that it would be a remote area. Sunshine Coast is where we want to go ideally.

Just bear in mind that it would be a regional TEMPORARY visa (491), with a risk that you'll end up going home at the end.   You need to think through whether you'd be able to wear that cost if you don't succeed, and how it would impact your children's education, your career path etc.  

Also look into the other costs of being on a temp visa, e.g. if you want to buy a house, you'll be treated as a foreign investor and charged tens of thousands in extra fees.  Also in some states you'll have to pay school fees.  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 22:43, Southlander said:

You would have more chance going for the 491 visa. As long as you are granted it before you're 45, you can transition to a permanent visa, on condition you fulfil the requirements (53k P/A salary, living in regional 3 years)

I just noticed a mistake here.  The required salary is $153,000, not $53,000.     In other words, the age exemption is intended only for senior employees.  

I can't imagine the OP managing that, she'd have to go straight in as a School Principal.

@Family R - don't put it off.  Book an initial consultation with Suncoast Migration, I believe it's free so there's no reason to delay.  It's only a basic consultation but it will be enough to tell you whether there's any chance or whether the door is already closed.  No point spending several more months wondering.

Edited by Marisawright

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I believe it's free 

I’m afraid it’s not … it’s not possible to give meaningful bespoke advice for free. I would never have time for anything else if I offered that. My view is that is that if you are contemplating moving to the other side of the world with all the commitment and expense that involves, a small consultation fee to get some accurate advice is a drop in the ocean. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I just noticed a mistake here.  The required salary is $153,000, not $53,000.     In other words, the age exemption is intended only for senior employees.  

I can't imagine the OP managing that, she'd have to go straight in as a School Principal.

@Family R 

Not sure where the mistake is? You need to earn $53,900 P/A for three consecutive years to transition to a permanent visa. You only have to be under 45 at the age of applying for the visa and CAN get PR even at 49 (5 year visa). But you have no time for mistakes as you are on the wrong side of 44.

Your 153k sounds like global talent/high profile individual type visa classes. 

@paulhand I agree with you 100%. Forums are for us novices trying to get a feel for it and getting opinions based on similar experiences, approaching agents is for expert (legal) advice for someone who is committed to going to Australia and is investing from day one. I have had too many friends jumping on the bandwagon saying they're keen to go until I recommend them seeing a paid agent. Then it's next week, or in the new year etc. I know at that point they are not fully decided, but like the idea however will toy with it until it's too late.

Proof is in the pudding, let's monitor. 

On 14/12/2021 at 09:24, Southlander said:

@paulhand I agree with you 100%. Forums are for us novices trying to get a feel for it and getting opinions based on similar experiences, approaching agents is for expert (legal) advice for someone who is committed to going to Australia and is investing from day one. I have had too many friends jumping on the bandwagon saying they're keen to go until I recommend them seeing a paid agent. Then it's next week, or in the new year etc. I know at that point they are not fully decided, but like the idea however will toy with it until it's too late.

Proof is in the pudding, let's monitor. 

We are very serious and I’ve already been in contact with Paul. I’ll be able to afford the consultation in January so will book it then.

Fingers crossed it’s something that’s a viable path in his opinion.

Thanks all for the input.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Family R said:

We are very serious and I’ve already been in contact with Paul. I’ll be able to afford the consultation in January so will book it then.

Honestly, if you are struggling to afford the cost of a consultation, it's possible you can't afford to migrate.  I suggest doing a budget now, to see whether you have the resources. It's not just the air fares. 

You'll need to EITHER  ship the contents of your home OR you'll need to give it all away/sell it at a garage sale and buy everything from scratch when you arrive.  Remember that includes everything - pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen appliances, towels, bedlinen, whitegoods, furniture, TV etc.  Do a trial shop at harveynorman.com.au or ikea.com.au and see how much it all comes to.  I can guarantee you will be shocked, as we don't often buy all our household needs at once, so we don't realise how much they cost. 

Then when you arrive, budget for four weeks in an AirBnB or holiday let while you look for a long-term rental.   If neither of you has a job already set up, budget for at least three months out of work (with no benefits).  You'll need to buy a car, which is more expensive in Australia. Car leasing is less common in Australia and anyway, you would be unwise to get a car lease if you're on a temp visa, because if your visa expires before the lease does, you're stuck with a big debt and no way to sell the car.  

The most commonly quoted figure, when you put it all together, is around £30,000.  You may have that as equity in your home, but bear in mind, if you spend that on moving to Australia, it's gone forever, and you'll have that much less to buy a new home in Australia with. Make sure you compare house prices between where you are in the UK and where you plan to move to, to make sure you'd be able to afford it.  

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Honestly, if you are struggling to afford the cost of a consultation, it's possible you can't afford to migrate.  I suggest doing a budget now, to see whether you have the resources. It's not just the air fares. 

You'll need to EITHER  ship the contents of your home OR you'll need to give it all away/sell it at a garage sale and buy everything from scratch when you arrive.  Remember that includes everything - pots, pans, cutlery, crockery, kitchen appliances, towels, bedlinen, whitegoods, furniture, TV etc.  Do a trial shop at harveynorman.com.au or ikea.com.au and see how much it all comes to.  I can guarantee you will be shocked, as we don't often buy all our household needs at once, so we don't realise how much they cost. 

Then when you arrive, budget for four weeks in an AirBnB or holiday let while you look for a long-term rental.   If neither of you has a job already set up, budget for at least three months out of work (with no benefits).  You'll need to buy a car, which is more expensive in Australia. Car leasing is less common in Australia and anyway, you would be unwise to get a car lease if you're on a temp visa, because if your visa expires before the lease does, you're stuck with a big debt and no way to sell the car.  

The most commonly quoted figure, when you put it all together, is around £30,000.  You may have that as equity in your home, but bear in mind, if you spend that on moving to Australia, it's gone forever, and you'll have that much less to buy a new home in Australia with. Make sure you compare house prices between where you are in the UK and where you plan to move to, to make sure you'd be able to afford it.  

Yep moving here is not cheap if you're a family that for sure

Single person aged 30 maybe it can be done for $10k but family thats a different story

• Like 2

For Queensland: “It is a requirement of your application that you have sufficient funds available to you in order to settle in Queensland. Settlement funds differ depending on whether the applicant is onshore or offshore, and how many secondary applicants are included in the application. An applicant is required to have a mandatory cash component of settlement funds that is inclusive of the total cash and liquid assets.”

For an offshore family of 4, the required amount is $45,000. 

Other states have similar requirements. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, paulhand said:

For Queensland: “It is a requirement of your application that you have sufficient funds available to you in order to settle in Queensland. Settlement funds differ depending on whether the applicant is onshore or offshore, and how many secondary applicants are included in the application. An applicant is required to have a mandatory cash component of settlement funds that is inclusive of the total cash and liquid assets.”

For an offshore family of 4, the required amount is $45,000. 

Other states have similar requirements. 

I’d have said the $45k is a much more realistic prospect though I would have rounded it up to $50k. And that, of course, doesn’t include visa costs, transporting your belongings, paying fares etc so by the time you’ve factored all that in you’re looking at another £15-20k. It’s not a cheap move at all.