Leaving Australia for 90+ days while citizenship is processing

Collingwood_21

Hello,

I am going to apply for citizenship in early 2022 (once I hit my 1 year anniversary for PR - I have lived in Aus since 2017 so I already fulfill that residency requirement).

For obvious reasons I haven't left Australia since 2019 and I want to go on a few holidays in 2021, see family abroad etc.

I know there is a requirement to have not left Australia for more than 90 days (cumulative) in the 12 months before applying for citizenship. I have fulfilled this.

Can I then leave for more than 90 days a year after I have submitted the citizenship application?

(Not that it matters but I won't be leaving for 90 days in a row or long term, just multiple 2 week trips here and there and I think there is a chance it could go over 90 days when they're all added up).

I know citizenship can't be approved while I am outside Aus and I don't mind if my citizenship process takes longer. I'm just trying to organise my travel plans and set expectations if I can't go away for more than 90 days a year until citizenship is approved.

I hope that makes sense±

Yes, you can leave for 90 days a year after you have submitted the citizenship application.

The residency requirement clock stops at the time you submit the application. 

If you are just going abroad for a holiday here and a holiday there then it should be possible for you to demonstrate continuing ties to Australia.

Thank you both so much for responding! And thank goodness - that's the answer I wanted 😄

I have so much leave built up from the past 2 years it would have been so sad to not use it. I will have a job in Aus and obviously still live in Aus with my partner (who is also applying for citizenship but won't be joining me on all these trips as he doesn't have as much annual leave). So I think I can demonstrate the ties!