UK VISIT

Lorraine1954

10 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

The question is, did you tell  him you were British?  Or did you just say, "I'm Australian, here's my passport"?  

As I stated I told the young lady we were duel citizens and had both uk and Australian passports and asked what was protocol 

I have said this in a previous reply to your question???

Edited by Rallyman

49 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

As I stated I told the young lady we were duel citizens and had both uk and Australian passports and asked what was protocol 

I have said this in a previous reply to your question???

Sorry, I must have missed that reply.

If you admitted you were dual citizens, then she gave you the right information.    If you hadn't said anything and just gone to the desk with your Australian passports, you would've been admitted as an Australian and no one would've been any the wiser. Australians don't need a visa.

Blueflu has highlighted the only difference: if you present your UK passport, you're guaranteed entry to the UK.  Whereas if you present as an Australian, you are a foreigner and there is a remote chance you might get turned back, if they think you're trying to migrate sneakily or if they think you don't have enough money.  However if you're arriving on holiday with a return ticket booked, that's very unlikely.

That's why I'm thinking of not renewing my UK passport.  There doesn't seem much point in it.

Edited by Marisawright

5 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Sorry, I must have missed that reply.

If you admitted you were dual citizens, then she gave you the right information.    If you hadn't said anything and just gone to the desk with your Australian passports, you would've been admitted as an Australian and no one would've been any the wiser. Australians don't need a visa.

Blueflu has highlighted the only difference: if you present your UK passport, you're guaranteed entry to the UK.  Whereas if you present as an Australian, you are a foreigner and there is a remote chance you might get turned back, if they think you're trying to migrate sneakily or if they think you don't have enough money.  However if you're arriving on holiday with a return ticket booked, that's very unlikely.

That's why I'm thinking of not renewing my UK passport.  There doesn't seem much point in it.

One reason I asked was I wasn’t sure if they had details of me having duel passports and didn’t want any problems, who knows what actual information they have on their systems about you. 

10 minutes ago, Rallyman said:

One reason I asked was I wasn’t sure if they had details of me having duel passports and didn’t want any problems, who knows what actual information they have on their systems about you. 

They don't have a record of your other passport, that's why it's so crucial to choose the right passport details to give the airline.  

16 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

They don't have a record of your other passport, that's why it's so crucial to choose the right passport details to give the airline.  

You know that for sure ? 
Good mate of mine had 2 uk passports a work one and a holiday one 

4 hours ago, Rallyman said:

You know that for sure ? 
Good mate of mine had 2 uk passports a work one and a holiday one 

I had 2 British passports for a while. I can’t quite remember the circumstances, but I had new one issued by the British High Com while I was in Brunei, as I had no blank pages left in the active one, think I needed a new visa or something? Anyway I was issued a new one, but allowed to keep my active one.

Many years ago a friend had 2 as he worked in both Israel and United Emirates, don’t know if that still applies.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ramot said:

I had 2 British passports for a while. I can’t quite remember the circumstances...Anyway I was issued a new one, but allowed to keep my active one.

Many years ago a friend had 2 as he worked in both Israel and United Emirates, don’t know if that still applies.

I apologise to @Rallyman, I had to look it up.  To my surprise, you are allowed two passports.   Like your friend, business people have two if they need to visit different countries, e.g. some Arab countries won't let you in if you've got an Israeli stamp in your passport, and vice versa - so you get around it by using different passports depending which country you go to.  

The fact remains that AFAIK there's no absolute requirement to have one at all.  As Rallyman's official said, they want you to enter the UK with your UK passport if you have one.  However, that doesn't make your Australian passport invalid.   And if there is a problem, you're a British citizen, so they can't actually refuse you entry.   

• Thanks 1

On 05/01/2022 at 22:15, FirstWorldProblems said:

Which Passport

I thought I was clear on this but now I'm not so sure.  Here's what we did:

• used Australia passport outbound from the UK and on arrival to Sydney
  • used British passport outbound from Sydney and on arrival to London

So one passport for all of the outbound journey and a different passport for the inbound journey.

I don't think you've done the correctly. As an Aus citizen your supposed to enter and leave on your Aus passport but notwithstanding that records will have you still in Australia. It may cause questions the next time you enter.

I would have thought the safest way would be to enter and leave a country using the same passport.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 07/01/2022 at 11:31, Marisawright said:

I’m pretty sure holding two UK passports wouldn’t be legal

Totally legal, but only permissible if you meet some pretty strict requirements.

I had two because I needed to travel to a number of middle Eastern countries that disliked each other, so having an entry stamp from one in your passport annoyed the other and vice versa.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/10/2021 at 18:29, Lorraine1954 said:

Hi Son has his UK passport with his preminant resident visa attached. He became a Australian citizen in May. If he wants to fly back to the UK for a visit, can he still use his UK passport or will he need an Australian passport to enable him to fly.

Thanks

I used to have two, but then my UK passport expired.  I assume if I go to UK using me Aussie one I'll get in OK but be treated as any other alien?

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Technically speaking you don't need a passport to enter the UK if you are a British citizen.  I have entered on my drivers license when I left my passport at home and went through security and had to come back through passport control.  

However you do have to get to the UK first, and I'm not sure many airlines will accept you with only a driving licence! Who were you flying with?!