DanO

UK Council Tax

Wow! UK Council tax is mental.

I thought our rates were high here (Ballarat $2500 a year), but it looks like a 320,000 GBP house will cost like $8,000 a year!

Do they empty the bins daily or what?

3 hours ago, DanO said:

I thought our rates were high here (Ballarat $2500 a year), but it looks like a 320,000 GBP house will cost like $8,000 a year!

Where on earth did you arrive at that figure? The Queen in her not too shabby unit at Buck Palace seemingly only pays GBP 1337  from a quick look. Average Westminster gaff pays under GBP 900 a year. (it would appear)  

• Like 1

My band C in Cheshire is £1787 per year. All real estate adverts tell you what band the property is. 

11 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

My band C in Cheshire is £1787 per year. All real estate adverts tell you what band the property is. 

That sounds right.  DanO needs to look at the Council Tax bands at wherever he/she is thinking of moving to.  

Well as per the random example below...

When I googled yesterday I obviously looked in a different area....but this was Cheshire.

Am I somehow misreading this because they seem to range between $2,500 and $7,000 ???

Band H are houses over 320,000GBP. Weirdly I note it also says that it is based on the house value from 1991 (??????) so maybe a 320,000 house now was only worth 100,000 in 1991 or something...seems a bloody silly way to tax though?

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 6.02.15 pm.png

Edited by DanO

Also, whenever I have looked on "Rightmove", none of the properties seem to state the Council Tax band...usually only the energy efficiency rating?

4 hours ago, DanO said:

Not true.  My house is valued about that and the council tax is a little over £2000 a year.  Still eye watering but no where near what you’ve put. 

Edited by Tulip1

4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Not true.  My house is valued about that and the council tax is a little over £2000 a year.  Still eye watering but no where near what you’ve put. 

see above table...I'm not making this up?

21 minutes ago, DanO said:

Well as per the random example below...

When I googled yesterday I obviously looked in a different area....but this was Cheshire.

Am I somehow misreading this because they seem to range between $2,500 and $7,000 ???

Band H are houses over 320,000GBP. Weirdly I note it also says that it is based on the house value from 1991 (??????) so maybe a 320,000 house now was only worth 100,000 in 1991 or something...seems a bloody silly way to tax though?

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 6.02.15 pm.png

Yes they are 1991 values. So band H would be worth mega bucks today. 
I’m Cheshire west, so slightly more expensive than above. 
If you are looking at £320000 you’d be band D in most places I would guess??

In fairness Tulip and myself are here paying council tax so we aren’t making it up either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DanO said:

Also, whenever I have looked on "Rightmove", none of the properties seem to state the Council Tax band...usually only the energy efficiency rating?

My brochure when I bought 3 years ago had it on but maybe that was an anomaly, I thought they all had it. My bad.

The estate agent will know the band, so you can ask. Band C or D seems to be the “average” price but that’s going to depend on area I suppose. Where are you looking at?

Thanks @Amber Snowball. I couldn't believe how expensive it looked!

It's still a shock...but I'm thinking water rates will be much less than Ballarat at least? We are charged about $1500 a year in water rates (multiple times higher than we paid in Melbourne).

Plus...I won't be paying $3500 a year for private health insurance!

• Like 1

We are open to multiple areas.

I grew up in Scunthorpe, went to Uni in Leeds, worked in Berks, Bucks, Newcastle and spent 6 years in York....

Probably somewhere in the North, but Solihull gets a good rap...and Cheshire seems lovely.

2 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

My brochure when I bought 3 years ago had it on but maybe that was an anomaly, I thought they all had it. My bad.

The estate agent will know the band, so you can ask. Band C or D seems to be the “average” price but that’s going to depend on area I suppose. Where are you looking at?

3 minutes ago, DanO said:

It's still a shock...but I'm thinking water rates will be much less than Ballarat at least? We are charged about $1500 a year in water rates (multiple times higher than we paid in Melbourne).

Exactly!

my water is about £90 per year. I can’t have a water meter so pay a different amount. It’s worth getting them out to check to fit a water meter because if you can’t have one you pay less than someone who chooses not to have one! 😂

Cheshire is nice, I’m liking it. I’m from SW London originally, 13 years in Victoria and moved up here in 2018.

My preference would have been Shropshire but work was limited there.

It’s a big decision so I wish you well.

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Exactly!

my water is about £90 per year. I can’t have a water meter so pay a different amount. It’s worth getting them out to check to fit a water meter because if you can’t have one you pay less than someone who chooses not to have one! 😂

Cheshire is nice, I’m liking it. I’m from SW London originally, 13 years in Victoria and moved up here in 2018.

My preference would have been Shropshire but work was limited there.

It’s a big decision so I wish you well.

Thanks 8-)

We will not be working so can live wherever we want. Probably 2 years away however (wife's ailing parents here).

I have been here about 26 years - twice in Bris, Syd and Melb...currently enjoying Ballarat. I just think there are more things to enjoy in retirement in the UK than in Australia...we are most certainly not beach people, and hate hot weather!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DanO said:

I pay £30 a month for my water. 

Another thing worth a mention re council tax.  Single occupancy gives you a 25% discount 

So if I ditch the wife...I get a 25% discount?

17 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Another thing worth a mention re council tax.  Single occupancy gives you a 25% discount 

• Haha 2

Just now, DanO said:

Yes

1 hour ago, DanO said:

If you're caught burying her in a ditch you get free accommodation for life!

• Haha 1

Chartered Accountant (England & Wales); Registered Tax Agent & Fellow of The Tax Institute (Australia) www.kbfayers.com

12 minutes ago, Ken said:

If you're caught burying her in a ditch you get free accommodation for life!

You’re terrible Muriel! 🤭