UK Council Tax

DanO

3 hours ago, DanO said:

Wow! UK Council tax is mental.

I thought our rates were high here (Ballarat $2500 a year), but it looks like a 320,000 GBP house will cost like $8,000 a year!

Do they empty the bins daily or what?

Where on earth did you arrive at that figure? The Queen in her not too shabby unit at Buck Palace seemingly only pays GBP 1337  from a quick look. Average Westminster gaff pays under GBP 900 a year. (it would appear)  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

My band C in Cheshire is £1787 per year. All real estate adverts tell you what band the property is. 

That sounds right.  DanO needs to look at the Council Tax bands at wherever he/she is thinking of moving to.  

Well as per the random example below...

When I googled yesterday I obviously looked in a different area....but this was Cheshire.

Am I somehow misreading this because they seem to range between $2,500 and $7,000 ???

Band H are houses over 320,000GBP. Weirdly I note it also says that it is based on the house value from 1991 (??????) so maybe a 320,000 house now was only worth 100,000 in 1991 or something...seems a bloody silly way to tax though?

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 6.02.15 pm.png

Edited by DanO

4 hours ago, DanO said:

Wow! UK Council tax is mental.

I thought our rates were high here (Ballarat $2500 a year), but it looks like a 320,000 GBP house will cost like $8,000 a year!

Do they empty the bins daily or what?

Not true.  My house is valued about that and the council tax is a little over £2000 a year.  Still eye watering but no where near what you’ve put. 

Edited by Tulip1

4 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Not true.  My house is valued about that and the council tax is a little over £2000 a year.  Still eye watering but no where near what you’ve put. 

see above table...I'm not making this up?

21 minutes ago, DanO said:

When I googled yesterday I obviously looked in a different area....but this was Cheshire.

Am I somehow misreading this because they seem to range between $2,500 and $7,000 ???

Band H are houses over 320,000GBP. Weirdly I note it also says that it is based on the house value from 1991 (??????) so maybe a 320,000 house now was only worth 100,000 in 1991 or something...seems a bloody silly way to tax though?

Yes they are 1991 values. So band H would be worth mega bucks today. 
I’m Cheshire west, so slightly more expensive than above. 
If you are looking at £320000 you’d be band D in most places I would guess??

In fairness Tulip and myself are here paying council tax so we aren’t making it up either.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, DanO said:

Also, whenever I have looked on "Rightmove", none of the properties seem to state the Council Tax band...usually only the energy efficiency rating?

My brochure when I bought 3 years ago had it on but maybe that was an anomaly, I thought they all had it. My bad.

The estate agent will know the band, so you can ask. Band C or D seems to be the “average” price but that’s going to depend on area I suppose. Where are you looking at?

Thanks @Amber Snowball. I couldn't believe how expensive it looked!

It's still a shock...but I'm thinking water rates will be much less than Ballarat at least? We are charged about $1500 a year in water rates (multiple times higher than we paid in Melbourne).

Plus...I won't be paying $3500 a year for private health insurance!

• Like 1

We are open to multiple areas.

I grew up in Scunthorpe, went to Uni in Leeds, worked in Berks, Bucks, Newcastle and spent 6 years in York....

Probably somewhere in the North, but Solihull gets a good rap...and Cheshire seems lovely.

2 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

My brochure when I bought 3 years ago had it on but maybe that was an anomaly, I thought they all had it. My bad.

The estate agent will know the band, so you can ask. Band C or D seems to be the “average” price but that’s going to depend on area I suppose. Where are you looking at?

3 minutes ago, DanO said:

It's still a shock...but I'm thinking water rates will be much less than Ballarat at least? We are charged about $1500 a year in water rates (multiple times higher than we paid in Melbourne).

Exactly!

my water is about £90 per year. I can’t have a water meter so pay a different amount. It’s worth getting them out to check to fit a water meter because if you can’t have one you pay less than someone who chooses not to have one! 😂

Cheshire is nice, I’m liking it. I’m from SW London originally, 13 years in Victoria and moved up here in 2018.

My preference would have been Shropshire but work was limited there.

It’s a big decision so I wish you well.

4 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Exactly!

my water is about £90 per year. I can’t have a water meter so pay a different amount. It’s worth getting them out to check to fit a water meter because if you can’t have one you pay less than someone who chooses not to have one! 😂

Cheshire is nice, I’m liking it. I’m from SW London originally, 13 years in Victoria and moved up here in 2018.

My preference would have been Shropshire but work was limited there.

It’s a big decision so I wish you well.

Thanks 8-)

We will not be working so can live wherever we want. Probably 2 years away however (wife's ailing parents here).

I have been here about 26 years - twice in Bris, Syd and Melb...currently enjoying Ballarat. I just think there are more things to enjoy in retirement in the UK than in Australia...we are most certainly not beach people, and hate hot weather!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DanO said:

I pay £30 a month for my water. 

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 29/10/2022 at 18:27, Jack Peter said:

If you missed Council Tax payments and struggling to pay your Council Tax or are you behind with your payment? Get advice from Acme Credit certified advisor.

You're seriously suggesting using Wile E. Coyote's preferred supplier? That stuff never works.

Box_of_%22ACME_EXPLOSIVE_TENNIS_BALLS%22_%28screencap%29.jpg

Edited by Ken

On 24/10/2021 at 08:05, DanO said:

You are absolutely not wrong.. we live in Cheshire East and our fairly standard 4 bed has been classified as band G (not sure how?) And we pay £3300 per year at the 2022 rates, so more than your table.. The govt has also lifted restrictions so now they can increase that by 5% every year 😫 Bins are collected every 2 weeks and I dont see much more benefit than that. Most of it apparently goes on social care and paying for the council. Honestly its one of the reasons Im moving as we soon wont be able to afford to live in our own house!.. Cheshire is fairly standard-not one of the more expensive councils.

On 06/12/2022 at 17:02, Ruth1 said:

You are absolutely not wrong.. we live in Cheshire East and our fairly standard 4 bed has been classified as band G (not sure how?) And we pay £3300 per year at the 2022 rates, so more than your table.. The govt has also lifted restrictions so now they can increase that by 5% every year 😫 Bins are collected every 2 weeks and I dont see much more benefit than that. Most of it apparently goes on social care and paying for the council. Honestly its one of the reasons Im moving as we soon wont be able to afford to live in our own house!.. Cheshire is fairly standard-not one of the more expensive councils.

But UK councils do send more than one person to empty your bins. All that job creation has to be paid for! 

Edited by Ken
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ken said:

But UK councils do send more than one person to empty your bins. All that job creation has to be paid for! 

They do send more, but it's only the junior doing the actu work, the other 6 people on the gang (not counting the driver) are there to make sure the junior does it right