Subclass 309/100 - UK, previously worked in USA. Advice needed for criminal background check!

KayleighMcK

Hello! 

I have a little bit of a tricky one and I was hoping someone has had a similar experience.. 

I am planning to submit my Partner visa application before the end of 2021. 

I am a UK citizen, and I worked in America from June 2011 until May 2012. 

As per the Australian Government website, it states that I must obtain a criminal background check from any country I have lived in for 12 months within the last decade. 

I will be able to get a UK disclosure no issues, however for the American one I must get my fingerprints taken at a local police station, send them off to the FBI who then provides an identity history summary or 'rap sheet'. 

My question being, will this be required if I haven't technically worked in America for 12 months within the last decade, due to the time frame of when I am submitting it and when I worked there. I was just looking for some advice really as I'm in two minds whether to just send off my fingerprints now 'just in case' and to potentially stop any additional delays or would I have to wait until my case officer requests this specifically? 

Thanks so much in advance! x 

Personally I'd go ahead and get it done but check your timings if you pre do it and these police checks only last a year you might be re requested to redo this again before the visa is decided.  Waiting for a request has two issues one is the American side might go slow but on the other hand with the time blow out of 22 months for 75 percent of people to be processed and much longer for 90.percent.. There have been cases where people have got theirs in a matter of a few months.  So in short depends on if your prepared to pay twice if it takes a while. 

Thanks so much, Elayna! 

It doesn’t cost too much thankfully (I think $18) for the actual report so I may as well get the ball rolling with it and worst case scenario I can repeat the process down the line. Like you say it can take a while at either end so hopefully it works out timing wise. 

I really appreciate your response! 😃

No problems we had same issue ours timed our after being Lodged a year and had to renew but thankfully only needed UK one.  Medical however I would def wait for the request as this is fairly fast to book in but super expensive approx 300 pounds plus and you don't want to repaying for that!