Jump to content
Amelia 17

Parents of Australian citizens wanting to visit Oz in 2022

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Culterguy said:

I just got through to the helpline, they of course point out straight away that they cannot discuss individual application, they have no access! and was also advised of course I should look at the processing times on the visa application site. 30 days to 7months!! The lady there said that if I put another new exemption in with the Visa reference, this may help. I did this a week ago and have not seen any movement on 'new exemption' or visa. 

We rang the helpline yesterday too!  Took ages to get through.  Very, very nice lady (I have to say I was very emotional and upset) but similar response to yours.  She basically said every visa is looked at on a case by case basis.  When I suggested we reapply for the visa and exemption she did say she wouldn't recommend that it would put us even further down the queue.  Who knows!  Do keep us updated if you have any success - it is starting to feel like we are the only people without a e651 grant.  Even more frustrating I note people on other forums stating their 600 visas have been granted immediately after exemption is granted.  I'm beginning to wonder if we should have gone down that route.  It's all so depressing we just want to see our daughters and grandchildren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents applied for the visitor visa 600 on 1st Nov 2021, and then applied for the travel exemption on 23rd Nov 2021. They received their travel exemption on 2nd Dec 2021. And today morning (3rd Dec 2021), both my parents received an RFI (request for information).

The RFI is to provide a colored scanned copy of the first three pages of the passport. The request is strange since they have earlier attached a colored copy of the first two pages of the passport. I wonder why they need to see the first three pages of the passport instead of the first two pages.

I have already fulfilled their request within a few hours. Hope the visa gets granted sooner than later.


DOL 13-Mar-2019 | RFI-1 (PCC Sponsor) 14-Nov-2019 | RFI-2 (Form 1229) 12-Dec-2019 | Grant 12-Dec-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents were granted visitor visa 600 today. 

Lodgment date: 1st Nov 2021
Travel Exemption Lodgement: 23 Nov 2021
Travel Exemption Approval: 02 Dec 2021
Request for Information - RFI (First 3 pages of passport): 03 Dec 2021
Visa Grant: 06 Dec 2021


DOL 13-Mar-2019 | RFI-1 (PCC Sponsor) 14-Nov-2019 | RFI-2 (Form 1229) 12-Dec-2019 | Grant 12-Dec-2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly different to the other posts, but keen to get the thoughts of people in the forum. My sister (fully vaccinated) was hoping to come over to Sydney to visit me (I'm an Aussie citizen) for 2 weeks in March but we were unaware of the travel exemption requirements etc. Have had a read online and she obviously isn't considered "close relative" but the border website says that it is still possible to apply for an "Individual Travel Exemption". My question is, does anyone know of it being possible for other family members (not parent/spouse etc) being granted travel exemption and if so what sort of grounds does the government consider?

I realise now the exemption is probably a long shot so her visit will likely have to wait until the restrictions ease, which looks like will be a long way from now. But any glimmer of hope will be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Kelly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@paulhand

Hi paul, sorry for the direct question but we (citizen and permanent resident) have parents that wanted to visit WA. They have had their visas granted and exemptions processing. Obviously the flight caps and quarantine are a consideration now the border reopening has been delayed, but I am unclear if parents are still permitted to enter WA under the new arrangements post Feb 5?

The plan seems contradictory and unclear and I was just hoping you might have some clarity on this - can parents still visit/get an exemption to visit WA?


:evilface_frowning_s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MacGyver said:

@paulhand

Hi paul, sorry for the direct question but we (citizen and permanent resident) have parents that wanted to visit WA. They have had their visas granted and exemptions processing. Obviously the flight caps and quarantine are a consideration now the border reopening has been delayed, but I am unclear if parents are still permitted to enter WA under the new arrangements post Feb 5?

The plan seems contradictory and unclear and I was just hoping you might have some clarity on this - can parents still visit/get an exemption to visit WA?

I’m in the same position as your parents and have a trip booked next month.  I doubt us parents are allowed but I’m interested to see the answer.  That said, the entire household you’re staying with would have to self isolate for 14 days (think I read that right) so that would make my trip impossible anyway.  I wish you the best of luck though if you can get an exemption and can manage that isolation 🤞

Edited by Tulip1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MacGyver said:

@paulhand

Hi paul, sorry for the direct question but we (citizen and permanent resident) have parents that wanted to visit WA. They have had their visas granted and exemptions processing. Obviously the flight caps and quarantine are a consideration now the border reopening has been delayed, but I am unclear if parents are still permitted to enter WA under the new arrangements post Feb 5?

The plan seems contradictory and unclear and I was just hoping you might have some clarity on this - can parents still visit/get an exemption to visit WA?

I don’t think it’s at all clear either. Nothing has changed on the Commonwealth side, so you’d need to see if you can get the G2G pass approved at State level. As you say quarantine caps and State rules will make this very difficult, if not impossible, still. 

Edited by paulhand
  • Thanks 1

____________________________________________________________________

Paul Hand

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1801974

SunCoast Migration Ltd

All comments are general in nature and do not constitute legal or migration advice. Comments may not be applicable or appropriate to your specific situation. Any comments relate to legislation and policy at date of post. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we never intended travelling until April I did not start to apply for an exemption hoping that things would change before that date which has been the case, fingers crossed they do not change again. However every time we have travelled to Australia we have always just gone on the ETA which is free, is there any advantage in paying for the E600 or was this the only option when you had to provide supporting documents as parents of an Australian Citizen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MLT said:

As we never intended travelling until April I did not start to apply for an exemption hoping that things would change before that date which has been the case, fingers crossed they do not change again. However every time we have travelled to Australia we have always just gone on the ETA which is free, is there any advantage in paying for the E600 or was this the only option when you had to provide supporting documents as parents of an Australian Citizen.

I applied for an ETA 6 weeks ago so the E600 certainly wasn’t the only option.  I don’t think there was any mention on the application about whether you met the criteria for an exemption.  It was just a visa application.  It was on the exemption application that I had to provide supporting documents, of which I provided a copy of my sons Australian passport.  Both approved no problem so I’m sure you can just go for the ETA.  I’d suggest applying now though as some people have  waited for many weeks.  Mine took about 4 weeks, some have taken longer and some have been very quick.  

Edited by Tulip1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I applied for an ETA 6 weeks ago so the E600 certainly wasn’t the only option.  I don’t think there was any mention on the application about whether you met the criteria for an exemption.  It was just a visa application.  It was on the exemption application that I had to provide supporting documents, of which I provided a copy of my sons Australian passport.  Both approved no problem so I’m sure you can just go for the ETA.  I’d suggest applying now though as some people have  waited for many weeks.  Mine took about 4 weeks, some have taken longer and some have been very quick.  

Thanks for this I was just confused that other parents were paying for the E600 when in previous years we have only ever used the free  ETA without any problems.  I will however apply very soon in case there are any delays especially as there may be many applying now most state borders are open to tourists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MLT said:

Thanks for this I was just confused that other parents were paying for the E600 when in previous years we have only ever used the free  ETA without any problems.  I will however apply very soon in case there are any delays especially as there may be many applying now most state borders are open to tourists.

Go for the free one.  I’ve never paid for a visa, always get an ETA. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone

My British mother-in-law applied for a 651 e-visitor visa a week ago, but no grant yet. Does she also need to submit a travel exemption request in order for the visa to be granted? Or even if not strictly necessary as a condition of the grant, would it speed things up? 
 

(We thought you apply for the exemption *after* the visa is granted.)

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Marlou said:

Hi everyone

My British mother-in-law applied for a 651 e-visitor visa a week ago, but no grant yet. Does she also need to submit a travel exemption request in order for the visa to be granted? Or even if not strictly necessary as a condition of the grant, would it speed things up? 
 

(We thought you apply for the exemption *after* the visa is granted.)

thanks!

Yes you do apply for the exemption after the visa.  You put the visa application reference on the exemption application and the two should marry up together.  The exception won’t be needed soon so it depends on when she’s travelling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tulip1 said:

Yes you do apply for the exemption after the visa.  You put the visa application reference on the exemption application and the two should marry up together.  The exception won’t be needed soon so it depends on when she’s travelling. 

Thanks! So apply for the exemption after the visa application is submitted, but before the visa is granted. 
 

She won’t be travelling before the rules change on the 22nd, but we were a bit concerned the failure to apply for the exemption was holding up the visa being granted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marlou said:

Thanks! So apply for the exemption after the visa application is submitted, but before the visa is granted. 
 

She won’t be travelling before the rules change on the 22nd, but we were a bit concerned the failure to apply for the exemption was holding up the visa being granted. 

It could be holding it up as until the 22nd tourists can’t get in without an exemption. Based on the face you need to put the TRN  visa application reference on the exemption application so they marry up, it may well be the case that the visa won’t be approved without an exemption.  That will all change next week but there still may be a delay.  It might be worth applying for an exemption for no other reason than it might quicken the visa grant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tulip! Exemption request was submitted yesterday with the visa application number tied to it, so hopefully that will do the trick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×