Parents of Australian citizens wanting to visit Oz in 2022

Amelia 17

36 minutes ago, Clyde114 said:

In our experience, my Dad applied for an e651 but was rejected due to no exemption - then same day applied for exemption which has now been approved, so now is applying again for e651

I'll keep you updated on the result

That's really interesting, can I ask how long was it between him applying for the first e651 and the rejection?

47 minutes ago, Clyde114 said:

In our experience, my Dad applied for an e651 but was rejected due to no exemption - then same day applied for exemption which has now been approved, so now is applying again for e651

I'll keep you updated on the result

Thank you so much for the update - so useful!  I was just about to attempt to apply for a e651 but just checked back to see if you had replied before I carried on with the application.  Thank goodness I did I then I saw that your Dad's initial 651 had been rejected!  When you access the immi account it only flags up applying for a 600 for immediate family I notice.  We are worried about how long that will take - even though there are promises of expedited processing.  Having been in the queue for a 143 Visa since March 2017 we are finding it hard to actually trust any statements about visa processing these days!  Look forward to your updates.  Thank you again!

• Like 1

this is what I got from the old man… so not necessarily due to no exemption (sorry for not being clear)

I started completing an application for a 651 eVisitor visa but before I had got very far into it, I was informed that "You are not eligible to apply for the visa using this service

Edited by Clyde114
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Clyde114 said:

this is what I got from the old man…

I started completing an application for a 651 eVisitor visa but before I had got very far into it, I was informed that "You are not eligible to apply for the visa using this service

I didn't get that far obviously the same would have happened to me!!  Send best wishes to your Dad he's doing a great job testing out the system for us all!  I have everything crossed he gets his 651 granted!  This actually explains why our migration agent was advocating the 600 Visa for us as the directive from immi page seems to send you in that direction for immediate family visas.  I've no idea why....

1 hour ago, Clyde114 said:

this is what I got from the old man… so not necessarily due to no exemption (sorry for not being clear)

1 hour ago, Sue 320 said:

I didn't get that far obviously the same would have happened to me!!  Send best wishes to your Dad he's doing a great job testing out the system for us all!  I have everything crossed he gets his 651 granted!  This actually explains why our migration agent was advocating the 600 Visa for us as the directive from immi page seems to send you in that direction for immediate family visas.  I've no idea why....

651 applications are still open and being processed. If you hold an eVisitor eligible passport, you should be able to ignore the somewhat ambiguous warning message and complete an application. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulhand said:

651 applications are still open and being processed. If you hold an eVisitor eligible passport, you should be able to ignore the somewhat ambiguous warning message and complete an application. 

Thank you for that update Paul... so basically a warning message will trigger as I progress through the application but I just ignore it and then go in and apply for the exemption?  I suppose there is nothing to lose at the end of the day!

16 hours ago, paulhand said:

Hi Paul, do you know what current approval time are like for the 651? is the immi website accurate - 31 days? Seems so long for people hoping to travel for Christmas!

Hi all,

I am in the same boat as well. I am applying for 600 visitor visa for my in-laws so that they can be here for the birth of our first child in March. I am confused still around the order in which we need to apply. Apply visa first, once visa granted, then apply exemption? Or apply exemption first, then once granted, then apply for visa? Or apply for visa and immediately apply for exemption without waiting for the visa grant.?

I was thinking of applying for visa and once the visa is granted, then apply for exemption. The reason I was thinking that way was, we are not clear about the processing time for the visa application. It could be 1 month, or 3 months or 6 months. They also say not to apply for exemption more than 2 months before. So, i was thinking of waiting for applying exemption till the visa is granted. I see in this thread, that a 651 visa was rejected when they applied without exemption? Is my understanding correct? 

Should I wait to apply for exemption till the visa is granted? Or should I apply for exemption as soon as the visa application is submitted? Could you please advice please.

Thank you guys.

All the best with the visitor visa applications.

5 minutes ago, alexander5 said:

Hi all,

I am in the same boat as well. I am applying for 600 visitor visa for my in-laws so that they can be here for the birth of our first child in March. I am confused still around the order in which we need to apply. Apply visa first, once visa granted, then apply exemption? Or apply exemption first, then once granted, then apply for visa? Or apply for visa and immediately apply for exemption without waiting for the visa grant.?

I was thinking of applying for visa and once the visa is granted, then apply for exemption. The reason I was thinking that way was, we are not clear about the processing time for the visa application. It could be 1 month, or 3 months or 6 months. They also say not to apply for exemption more than 2 months before. So, i was thinking of waiting for applying exemption till the visa is granted. I see in this thread, that a 651 visa was rejected when they applied without exemption? Is my understanding correct? 

Should I wait to apply for exemption till the visa is granted? Or should I apply for exemption as soon as the visa application is submitted? Could you please advice please.

Thank you guys.

All the best with the visitor visa applications.

I believe Paul answered this earlier in the post.  I am sure it was apply for the visa first and then straight away apply for the exemption.  The visa won’t to approved until the exemption is but if you apply for an exemption first it goes nowhere unless there’s a visa application in the system to attach it to.  I think you can’t apply until nearer the time, I’m sure I’ve read within  three months  of travel so best to wait until the new year. 

1 hour ago, Tulip1 said:

I believe Paul answered this earlier in the post.  I am sure it was apply for the visa first and then straight away apply for the exemption.  The visa won’t to approved until the exemption is but if you apply for an exemption first it goes nowhere unless there’s a visa application in the system to attach it to.  I think you can’t apply until nearer the time, I’m sure I’ve read within  three months  of travel so best to wait until the new year. 

Yep … that’s right. You can’t actually apply for an exemption unless you have a visa application Transaction Reference Number. Obviously, things may change quite soon …. 

• Thanks 1

International travel is starting on Monday. I'd be surprised if exemptions are needed in 2022.

We will be around 90% vaccinated so i expect all that will be required soon is vaccine passport showing fully vaccinated and a negative covid test 72 hours before boarding your flight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lak1 said:

Applied for 651 e visas on the 14th September. Applied for travel exemption to visit daughter on the 23rd October. The exemption was granted first followed  by our visas on the 30th October.

Thank you for the update that's great.  I guess there should be no issue applying for the 651 then.  What would we all do without the help and advice on these forums?!  It is all much appreciated. 

On 29/10/2021 at 17:42, Parley said:

International travel is starting on Monday. I'd be surprised if exemptions are needed in 2022.

We will be around 90% vaccinated so i expect all that will be required soon is vaccine passport showing fully vaccinated and a negative covid test 72 hours before boarding your flight.

The exemptions are just to give separated families and specifically parents a head start to re-connect quickly and push them up the queue,  they will want to open up to other VISA holders and foreign students asap so by Christmas i reckon the exemptions won't be an issue anyway.

Apologies in advance for my ignorance around this process. I have a new baby and baby brain is real!

I have Aus citizenship and have lived here for 13 year, currently in QLD. My dad is living in the uk and would love to be able to come over and meet bub.

Is the exemption a formality at this stage or is it still for compassionate grounds etc. ? 

weighing up whether to apply now to get him over here ASAP or wait until next year when there are less restrictions.

1 hour ago, Jonesy87 said:

Apologies in advance for my ignorance around this process. I have a new baby and baby brain is real!

I have Aus citizenship and have lived here for 13 year, currently in QLD. My dad is living in the uk and would love to be able to come over and meet bub.

Is the exemption a formality at this stage or is it still for compassionate grounds etc. ? 

weighing up whether to apply now to get him over here ASAP or wait until next year when there are less restrictions.

Thanks 🙂

You Dad is entitled to apply for an exemption as 'immediate family' - parents are now included in that category at last.  Not sure of the entry rules into Queensland though at this present time.  We would have no problem entering Melbourne after the 1st Nov to see one of our daughters but entry into Perth where the other lives is very restricted at present.  We are unable to travel until early January as it happens and as other posters have noted borders may be fully open by then.  Who knows!

• Like 1

On 29/10/2021 at 16:08, Tulip1 said:

Thank you @Tulip1. I will submit the visa application and exception followed by it,

Those who have applied for exemption can you tell me what you said to justify? I just put we want to visit our daughter who is PR as we’ve not seen her for two years. We are in good health and plan to stay with her in Victoria for 6 weeks. 
I’m hoping that’s ok? 
also I couldn’t work out bulk lodgement attachment

template so I copied application saved it and attached it. Also attached their passports snd my Passport my PR (vevo check) plus a photo of us. Hoping that’s enough too. 

6 hours ago, Kezzles said:

Those who have applied for exemption can you tell me what you said to justify? I just put we want to visit our daughter who is PR as we’ve not seen her for two years. We are in good health and plan to stay with her in Victoria for 6 weeks. 
I’m hoping that’s ok? 

template so I copied application saved it and attached it. Also attached their passports snd my Passport my PR (vevo check) plus a photo of us. Hoping that’s enough too. 

I don't think the reason matters for an inbound exemption, as long as you qualify as a family member.  Thankfully outbound exemptions are no longer applicable.

Of course, if you don't qualify automatically for an exemption (e.g., not a family member or parent of an Australian citizen/permanent resident), then the reason will be the sole criterion for assessing your application and it becomes crucial.

Edited by rtritudr

7 hours ago, Kezzles said:

I’m hoping that’s ok? 

Did you also include your birth certificate (I think you said you were applying on behalf of your parents)? Not 100% sure if it’s required, but I included it, as proof that my dad is a parent of an aus citizen

53 minutes ago, falpat said:

Did you also include your birth certificate (I think you said you were applying on behalf of your parents)? Not 100% sure if it’s required, but I included it, as proof that my dad is a parent of an aus citizen

Yes I included my birth cert too with both my parents on it!

• Like 1