Parents of Australian citizens wanting to visit Oz in 2022

Amelia 17

Hello, my husband and I are both Brits who have recently become Australian citizens. My parents want to visit us in Sydney (flying over from the UK) in February 2022. Now that Scott Morrison has clarified that parents of citizens count as immediate family, does anyone know what visa my parents (if any?) need to apply under in order to visit?

Many thanks!!

Amelia

1 hour ago, Amelia 17 said:

Hello, my husband and I are both Brits who have recently become Australian citizens. My parents want to visit us in Sydney (flying over from the UK) in February 2022. Now that Scott Morrison has clarified that parents of citizens count as immediate family, does anyone know what visa my parents (if any?) need to apply under in order to visit?

Many thanks!!

Amelia

Just the usual

37 minutes ago, Parley said:

Should just be business as usual in terms of visas. But they will need to be double vacced to travel, and may need negative covid test before flying.

I think whatever airline they are travelling with will be mandating covid free with vaccine proof before being allowed to travel.

Hi Amelia

I'm in the same boat and as said further up, it's all very liable to change. As far as I can work out given the current situation parents would need to apply for both of the following;

a) an exemption - which can only be applied for from 1st Nov and they'd have to supply evidence of your visa and being your parent (birth cert etc)

b) a visa - i guess it's the standard 651 (as stated above)

I'm not sure in what order you'd need to apply for these and if it makes a difference, anyone know? 

Trailfinders in UK told my parents to get a visa before booking, 

Cheers Nick

43 minutes ago, Clyde114 said:

I'm not sure in what order you'd need to apply for these and if it makes a difference, anyone know? 

Assuming it remains the same as the current exemption process, you first apply for your visa, then you apply for the exemption immediately with your visa application TRN so that the two applications are linked.  Once your exemption comes through then the visa will be approved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rtritudr said:

Assuming it remains the same as the current exemption process, you first apply for your visa, then you apply for the exemption immediately with your visa application TRN so that the two applications are linked.  Once your exemption comes through then the visa will be approved.

That’s great to know thanks, any ideas on processing times? 

On 19/10/2021 at 16:57, paulhand said:

They have been pretty quick up until now … generally a few days. Obviously, as rules change, so may processing times. 

Is there a time limitation around when to apply for the exemption? E.g. no more than 3 months before the trip, etc.?

We actually booked flights for February back at the beginning of October. We'd decided that by February, Sydney would be 'open' . Prices have risen so much already since then, although we were using credits from 2 years ago!!!

If we applied for the e-visitor, would 'they' tell us if an exemption was necessary?

2 hours ago, alinag said:

Is there a time limitation around when to apply for the exemption? E.g. no more than 3 months before the trip, etc.?

You must submit your request for a travel exemption at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before your planned travel.

source:
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/immediate-family-australian-citizens-or-permanent-residents-or-new-zealand-citizens-usually-resident-australia#toc-4

3 minutes ago, Clyde114 said:

You must submit your request for a travel exemption at least two weeks, but not more than two months, before your planned travel.

source:
https://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/immediate-family-australian-citizens-or-permanent-residents-or-new-zealand-citizens-usually-resident-australia#toc-4

Interesting and a bit confusing, as the visitor visa 600 timelines quoted on the immi website are 6+ months to be approved, and I assume you need to submit for the exemption to get the approval

14 minutes ago, Stellathedog said:

If we applied for the e-visitor, would 'they' tell us if an exemption was necessary?

No - they just won't process the visa until the exemption is approved. As things stand, you apply for the visa and then the exemption. Once the exemption is granted, the visa is processed.

9 hours ago, Stellathedog said:

Brilliant for him, and you!

Just wondered when he is looking to travel? That is, how far in advance has he applied?

We haven't booked anything yet, dependent on the outcome and length of the visa/exemption process, but would love them to come for Xmas but i appreciate it's a very expensive long shot, so probably Feb/Mar next year...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Clyde114 said:

We haven't booked anything yet, dependent on the outcome and length of the visa/exemption process, but would love them to come for Xmas but i appreciate it's a very expensive long shot, so probably Feb/Mar next year...

Can I ask did you apply for an e651 visitor visa and was that granted along with your exemption or are you still waiting for the visa grant.  Did you apply for the visa and then submit the exemption request as others have suggested.  It's so stressful knowing what to do and when!  My husband and I hoping to travel early January.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sue 320 said:

Can I ask did you apply for an e651 visitor visa and was that granted along with your exemption or are you still waiting for the visa grant.  Did you apply for the visa and then submit the exemption request as others have suggested.  It's so stressful knowing what to do and when!  My husband and I hoping to travel early January.  

As @rtritudr said, "you first apply for your visa, then you apply for the exemption immediately with your visa application TRN so that the two applications are linked.  Once your exemption comes through then the visa will be approved."

That is the correct process at the moment.  

5 hours ago, Clyde114 said:

Really glad I found this thread as we’re going through the same process with my dad. 

he applied for the evisitor (651) last night & then did the exemption, although he thinks he missed uploading some docs & isn’t sure they were accepted when he reuploaded. 

the plan is for him to fly on 8 Dec. But the current wait times are 31 days (for 75% of applications) for the 651 visa. Does anyone have any info on whether this is accurate? 

really great to hear Clyde114 has seen an exemption processed in 4 days, that gives me hope! 

if anyone else has timelines/info to share that would be great!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

As @rtritudr said, "you first apply for your visa, then you apply for the exemption immediately with your visa application TRN so that the two applications are linked.  Once your exemption comes through then the visa will be approved."

That is the correct process at the moment.  

In our experience, my Dad applied for an e651 but was rejected due to no exemption - then same day applied for exemption which has now been approved, so now is applying again for e651

I'll keep you updated on the result

• Like 1