186 vs 491

BLJP85

Hello,

Help with this dilemma please … pre COVID, I applied for 491 South Australia (EOI, invited etc). Now it’s just sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be processed like so many others. However, because of COVID and life changing I no longer have a big interest in South Australia and would actually like to get a 186 sponsored visa for Sydney instead. There’s a long personal story to this as to why but the long and short of it is that it offers better access to family. 

Am I correct in thinking that I would not be able to apply for 186,190,189 or many other visas if I have a 491 visa granted? I guess my 491 could be granted any day now and my profession is on the critical list. What are my options of my 491 is granted and I move to SA and then want to leave to NSW? Are there penalties to cancelling a visa application? I’m gathering it is more favourable to cancel the visa application before it is granted if I plan on moving out of SA one day and then have to cancel my 491?

11 hours ago, BLJP85 said:

Help with this dilemma please … pre COVID, I applied for 491 South Australia (EOI, invited etc). Now it’s just sitting in a pile somewhere waiting to be processed like so many others. However, because of COVID and life changing I no longer have a big interest in South Australia and would actually like to get a 186 sponsored visa for Sydney instead. ...

Am I correct in thinking that I would not be able to apply for 186,190,189 or many other visas if I have a 491 visa granted? 

It may still be a while before the 491 proceeds, so I'd say your best bet is to crack on with finding an employer in Sydney willing to sponsor you for a 186.  It's easier said than done, because the requirements for the employer are now so complex and expensive, many employers won't consider it.  Given the rarity, I'd be inclined to say, hang onto your "bird in the hand" until you're sure the 186 is a concrete alternative.

I'm not sure that holding a 491 would actually bar you from applying for another visa, if you are eligible.  Someone else may know. 

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

I'm not sure that holding a 491 would actually bar you from applying for another visa, if you are eligible.  Someone else may know. 

It doesn’t preclude you from applying but the application will be refused if the applicant hasn’t held the 491 for a period of 3 years at time of application. The intention is to ensure that people who have committed to being regional stay regional. 

12 hours ago, BLJP85 said:

Am I correct in thinking that I would not be able to apply for 186,190,189 or many other visas if I have a 491 visa granted

Effectively, yes for three years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paulhand said:

It doesn’t preclude you from applying but the application will be refused if the applicant hasn’t held the 491 for a period of 3 years at time of application. The intention is to ensure that people who have committed to being regional stay regional. 

Effectively, yes for three years. 

Thank you. I’ll do a little more research but I’m thinking the limitations of 491 might be an issue for me. 

• Like 1