Perth rentals

Nat1982

6 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

Perhaps because you and others are not aware of the extent of it? I was in ignorance until it moved next door to me. You can believe me or not, but it is everywhere at least in the inner city, and real estate tell me most places. It remains very much so , if under cover and well concealed now. All agers doing it. Middle aged, professional class prominent around me and are fully versed in protecting themselves  from sanction. Again I do not speak necessary of drug addicts. Although meth users are plentiful in the city and Fremantle as may be expected in one of the world's top places for useage. Check it out if interested , altogether more than a little horrifying what is going down.  But it is a disgrace especially that so little can be done to reign it in. Enough said on that, but a real blight on Perth.

People do not go out in the evenings as they do in Spain/Portugal/Greece.  I trust you are not going to suggest otherwise in the sense that it is similar? I live inner city and nothing close at all. Obviously we have a few areas where people congregate, but few for a city of this size. I'm well aware of of runners etc, but not what I refer to. 

Well being a Spanish island, perhaps not. I'm sure that would have been stated. 

We are on the island of Lanzarote and yes, most towns within island come alive around 8.30pm.... when im tucking my girls up to sleep.

We dont tend to go out much at all.... we are more laid back, enjoy beache days, walks, bbqs. Some would call us boring!!! 

As long as i have a beach within 30min drive... and supermarket and schools close by, id be sorted!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nat1982 said:

The island we live on is tiny, north to south is like 70km, you couold drive complete island in couple of hours, population 180,000... its basically a volcanic rock surrounded by sea. We have hills, volcanos which we have loved to explore. The beaches are lovely too.....

Im not worried about taking flights to east coast or anywhere to be honest.... If i can manage here for aslong as i have??....... then Perth and surroundings excites me heaps!!

Ah, it was the "explore" word that caught my attention, which I took to mean that you'd want to explore the whole country. But if you haven't traveled much while you've been in Lanzarote then WA will be plenty for you, and the expense of going East won't bother you. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nat1982 said:

We are on the island of Lanzarote and yes, most towns within island come alive around 8.30pm.... when im tucking my girls up to sleep.

We dont tend to go out much at all.... we are more laid back, enjoy beache days, walks, bbqs. Some would call us boring!!! 

As long as i have a beach within 30min drive... and supermarket and schools close by, id be sorted!

The fact that you appear rather self sufficient and not in need of external stimulation is suggestive that Perth environs may well suit.    Still advisable to check out area  before jumping into a rental. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, calNgary said:

To be fair many cities across the world have the exact same problem, you only need to keep reading the media and you would see that, but heh lets not take the OPs thread off track, there are plenty of threads about Perth already turned negative with the same comments should the OP wish to go and read.

Cal x

Rather somewhat unique Perth , I found from my Neigbourhood Watch observations, but let the matter rest as unfortunate as it is. I wrote several other 'concerns' with the OP coming from what was more likely a vibrant and far more sociable type of location. Don't look for evil, see no evil I suppose the moto goes.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nat1982 said:

Lanzarote used to be very popular for windsurfers when I used to do it. Is it still the same? Do you windsurf? Some brilliant spots for it along the coast here, kite surfing seems to have become more popular now though.

I liked Lanzarote but that was back in the 80's and we were only there for a week, windurfing every day.

Edited by Paul1Perth
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Nat1982 said:

You are going to LOVE Perth (or WA) 🙏🤣 

My advice- go South West 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MacGyver said:

If its undercover and well concealed, it’s hard to see how it can also be a blight on the city that is visible everywhere. As I’ve said before, your experiences of Perth are the polar opposite of mine. I appreciate you’re unhappy in Perth, but a more balanced view might be more informative for the OP - the bad AND the good so they can make an informed decision.

To the OP’s original question - the rental market is tough at the moment but not impossible. Houses with a garden seem to be most in demand and there are more opportunities in apartments and townhouses nearer the city. In normal times I’d say 4 weeks in an Airbnb would be plenty if you’re organised, but in the current climate I would personally book an Airbnb for at least 6-8 weeks so you can explore areas and put in lots of rental applications. I’d be tempted to look for a central apartment or townhouse initially as there will be less competition, then you are well placed to discover the city and surrounds. After 12 months you’ll have a solid rental history and be better placed to look for something bigger/longer term.

There are some nice walks in the hills around Perth, but no mountains like you get on the east coast or back in the uk. For a similar experience you’d have to drive to the southwest (4hours drive) but some embrace the change in scenery and enjoy bushwalking instead.

Busselton and Denmark etc are very nice small towns and Busselton in particular is an area of current and future growth. Personally I’d start at the city and explore WA as the southwest is a big change in lifestyle. 

If you prefer “exploring” different cities for weekend breaks it’s doable from Perth, but much easier and more accessible from an east coast city. Perth seems to be a love it or hate it sort of place and only you will know which camp you fall into. My experience of Perth is that it’s laidback, full of opportunity and has what I’d consider a nice climate (hot and dry summers, ‘cold’ and wet winters, warm and generally dry spring and autumn). The lifestyle is more focussed on going a walk or a cycle, going to the park or the beach, having a bbq etc. The city is getting better for cafes and bars but it’ll never be Melbourne or Sydney (or Glasgow or Manchester for that matter).

It all depends what you’re looking for but take every post (including my own) with a pinch of salt, Perth has good and bad like everywhere else does - some of us enjoy it, some of us don’t. It’s certainly not perfect and like everywhere else, the thing that’s best about it is the thing that’s worst about it, depending on your perspective. For some its blissfully quiet and laidback with amazing beaches everywhere, for others it’s horrendously quiet and laidback with boring beaches everywhere etc. 

The blight is a result of such activities, rather visible for most all to witness or experience through addiction through one close to them. I guess I've been here longer than you. But even with that, it only became 'common' to me after it knocked on my door, in a manner of speaking. There is nothing to appreciate in me being unhappy in Perth. What I am unhappy about, in that sense, is what my home city has become.   

I think I give a 'balanced' view. Just not sweeping under the carpet the bigger picture. And believe me I don't air on line anything close to what really niggles me to the reality  It may prove to be an ideal outpost to OP , now that they have clarified their preferences and wants from life. 

It may. AS with anything it suits some and not others. Goes without saying. Different takes on life in The Wild West , can only enhance and provide an assortment of various takes on the place surely? Most probably tire of beaches over time from my experience anyway, but the nuts and bolts issues that impact like difficulty in obtaining rentals, choosing area less Bogan influenced or crime induced , safety and public transport connectivity, walkability and close to necessities may not need to be taking with a pinch of salt but seen as informative .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

The blight is a result of such activities, rather visible for most all to witness or experience through addiction through one close to them. I guess I've been here longer than you. But even with that, it only became 'common' to me after it knocked on my door, in a manner of speaking. There is nothing to appreciate in me being unhappy in Perth. What I am unhappy about, in that sense, is what my home city has become.   

I think I give a 'balanced' view. Just not sweeping under the carpet the bigger picture. And believe me I don't air on line anything close to what really niggles me to the reality  It may prove to be an ideal outpost to OP , now that they have clarified their preferences and wants from life. 

It may. AS with anything it suits some and not others. Goes without saying. Different takes on life in The Wild West , can only enhance and provide an assortment of various takes on the place surely? Most probably tire of beaches over time from my experience anyway, but the nuts and bolts issues that impact like difficulty in obtaining rentals, choosing area less Bogan influenced or crime induced , safety and public transport connectivity, walkability and close to necessities may not need to be taking with a pinch of salt but seen as informative .

Some love the beaches but I agree with you, I find them very dull and uninteresting. I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually went to the beach, probably 3 or 4 years ago. Waking alongside the beach, or going to a cafe or bar near the beach is great, but sitting in the sand melting - no thanks!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Some love the beaches but I agree with you, I find them very dull and uninteresting. I couldn’t tell you the last time I actually went to the beach, probably 3 or 4 years ago. Waking alongside the beach, or going to a cafe or bar near the beach is great, but sitting in the sand melting - no thanks!

I actually do frequent the beaches even if not a big one for extreme heat. But most all people, that we know, do not hardly at all. (the occasional evening picnic excluded) My thinking is, without the beach Perth is somewhat lacking and it would be far better elsewhere.  

• Like 1

On 19/10/2021 at 00:07, Nat1982 said:

Im an Ausralian citizen by descent and the rest of family on family visa. 

The island we live on is tiny, north to south is like 70km, you couold drive complete island in couple of hours, population 180,000... its basically a volcanic rock surrounded by sea. We have hills, volcanos which we have loved to explore. The beaches are lovely too.

But, we want to see some green grass and trees..rivers, lakes, wildlife, etc... Last year here, we had torrentual rain for a few weeks, it was the first time in 12 years we´ve seen some green and flowers on the hills, it was spectacular!!

Im not worried about taking flights to east coast or anywhere to be honest.... If i can manage here for aslong as i have??....... then Perth and surroundings excites me heaps!!

But then you are living on what I believe is the most barren of the Canneries. I've never landed, but passed several times at sea Las Palmas appeared less so. But the Spanish mainland is so diverse , spoiled for choice. I looked in Andalusia years back at the wisdom of purchasing something. Some fascinating and interesting places down there , but indeed all over Spain. 

But if your mind is made up on WA, you surely want confirmation on such a move. Being Australian by descent will likely further ignite the desire. I wonder if you have in the past lived here? If so how long ago? I wonder as well how you managed an island with definate limitations like Lanzarote for so long? You posses staying power which is no bad thing for further moves. 

Obviously WA doesn't have to be the place to remain, if after your travels uncovers another state more too preference over time. The situation may well change with rentals, if the mining experiences a changing international environment. With falling ore prices, everything is on the cards. For the moment though, it remains tough and a certain what I perceive 'game playing' within the industry. 

Many love the South of the State. It has its obvious attractions but detractors as well. Real estate is not cheap to buy or rent any longer and kids will tend to drift to Perth, or further for education and/or vocation. A good place to be a tradie, but where isn't in Australia. As I outlined there are some serious social issues not being adequately addressed as well.

Great place to slip down for a few days holiday, especially places like Albany and The Rainbow Coast. I used to live there so know it well. I would not return though at least to live. 

Not matter what you decide good luck. I left another European country to return back here  on reflection over time it probably wasn't the ideal. But win some and loose some being the norm in the game of life. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I live next to the sea and I love it.  I walk beside it every day no matter what the weather is like.  However I never lie for hours sunbathing during the summer  -  haven't got the patience.  I go swimming at the beach in the warm weather most days and dry off on the walk back home.  

There is a cafe/restaurant and a bar at the beach but I rarely venture into them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Toots said:

I live next to the sea and I love it.  I walk beside it every day no matter what the weather is like.  However I never lie for hours sunbathing during the summer  -  haven't got the patience.  I go swimming at the beach in the warm weather most days and dry off on the walk back home.  

There is a cafe/restaurant and a bar at the beach but I rarely venture into them.

I don't live near the beach. If I did I would go for walks and occasional swim. But many Aussies and me have a swimming pool so no point or need to go to the beach.

I feel a bit guilty as i know a lot of dog owners always taking their dog to the beach, but my border collie has never seen the beach or ocean. She might get a big shock one day if she ever sees the ocean. What would she make of it?

Edited by Parley
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Parley said:

I don't live near the beach. If I did I would go for walks and occasional swim. But many Aussies and me have a swimming pool so no point or need to go to the beach.

I feel a bit guilty as i know a lot of dog owners always taking their dog to the beach, but my border collie has never seen the beach or ocean. She might get a big shock one day if she ever sees the ocean. What would she make of it?

Poor dog. Get her to the ocean! Dogs love the beach. She might be too old for change now though 

Does she go in the pool then on hot days? 

1 minute ago, HappyHeart said:

Poor dog. Get her to the ocean! Dogs love the beach. She might be too old for change now though 

She doesn't go right in on her own, but if it is really hot i put in and then she swims around.

But there is a shallow ledge which is only a few inches deep and she likes to lie down on that when she is hot. She will do that without any encouragement from me.

10 minutes ago, Parley said:

She doesn't go right in on her own, but if it is really hot i put in and then she swims around.

But there is a shallow ledge which is only a few inches deep and she likes to lie down on that when she is hot. She will do that without any encouragement from me.

Mine overheats easily and will get into any body of water at any opportunity. Even on ‘freezing’ cold winter days. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HappyHeart said:

Mine overheats easily and will get into any body of water at any opportunity. Even on ‘freezing’ cold winter days. 

Our previous dogs were a labrador and a cattle dog.  Our current dog is a little mongrel but apparently (according to the RSPCA) he is a Jack Russell x Staffie.  Anyway they were/are all water lovers.  The cattle dog would even roll around in puddles.  Just come back from a walk with Harry and he and a couple of little mates raced along to the end of the jetty and dived into the river.  They had a great time.  He's home now and sound asleep  .......... worn out by the look of it.  

• Like 1

I'm amazed just how the 'beach culture' has declined in relevance since the time I was a kid in WA. I recall Going to the beach was a major pursuit , especially the young, but families and oldsters as well. The joke was you could always tell a Pom, just off the boat , from lack of colour to skin. Now days of course, more likely to be the Brits with tans. 

But the culture when very young (barely recall and most likely read about it sense) was on hot nights families would sleep on the beaches. Before mass air conditioning.  But in fact, the beach was almost a way of life. More likely to go if having a dog I expect. 

While we still go, notice on numerous occasions, the diversity of language with foreign tourists and back packers  often out numbering locals. 

• Confused 1

On 19/10/2021 at 19:09, MacGyver said:

We've been here since 92 and have never got tired of the beaches. We never "sunbathe" like we used to on holiday from the UK, so sitting and melting, as you put it, wouldn't be on our radar. 

I have a surf ski and paddle board at the surf club, both kids have been in the club since 7, most of our friendship group have the same interests and the beach is where we see them mostly. In summer one or the other of us is there for ski, board or swimming anywhere between 5:30am and 7:00am. My wife is there this morning for yoga. 

We are always doing something when we're down the beach. It is pleasant just to sit and relax for a bit and maybe have a snooze. I've always found the sound of the ocean soothing and relaxing. 

Our rellies love that they can walk to the beach when they visit. Saves us the hassle of having to ferry them everywhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

I'm amazed just how the 'beach culture' has declined in relevance since the time I was a kid in WA. I recall Going to the beach was a major pursuit , especially the young, but families and oldsters as well. The joke was you could always tell a Pom, just off the boat , from lack of colour to skin. Now days of course, more likely to be the Brits with tans. 

But the culture when very young (barely recall and most likely read about it sense) was on hot nights families would sleep on the beaches. Before mass air conditioning.  But in fact, the beach was almost a way of life. More likely to go if having a dog I expect. 

While we still go, notice on numerous occasions, the diversity of language with foreign tourists and back packers  often out numbering locals. 

That culture is still there BF. you would be up too late to notice it anywhere near the City though. Don't try to park anywhere near any surf club Sunday mornings, there are literally hundreds of kids running around with their club caps on.

Maybe the sleeping on the beach has disappeared but there's still a lot of people that love to go down with a bottle of bubbly and see the sunset.

On 20/10/2021 at 06:39, Blue Flu said:

I actually do frequent the beaches even if not a big one for extreme heat. But most all people, that we know, do not hardly at all. (the occasional evening picnic excluded) My thinking is, without the beach Perth is somewhat lacking and it would be far better elsewhere.  

I'm with you there. If Perth and surrounds wasn't near the ocean with good weather it would be just another City.

Another thing about Perth is how clean it always looks.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Another good thing is having designated dog (and horse) beaches and animals are banned at others. I'm a dog lover and when we were on holiday once in Portugal, where there are no restrictions, a stray dog used to come sit with us every day. Everyone thought it was ours and gave us a few black looks when it would be wandering around.

I've known some dog owners moan about rules but I like the idea. The dog beaches are well equipped with cafes, dog wash, bags for dog crap. People generally do the right thing so they aren't dirty places. The one near us and Hillaries gets packed.

12 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

That culture is still there BF. you would be up too late to notice it anywhere near the City though. Don't try to park anywhere near any surf club Sunday mornings, there are literally hundreds of kids running around with their club caps on.

Maybe the sleeping on the beach has disappeared but there's still a lot of people that love to go down with a bottle of bubbly and see the sunset.

Agree. There’s much more to the beach than ‘sunbathing’ though you do still see the leather handbags. 
We live about 20-25 mins from the nearest beach. Most weekends will involve either a coastal walk followed by coffee or lunch at a beach cafe. In Summer we might head down to cool off, read a book and have a wander along the beach. I tend not to swim but hubby and son snorkel. If I’m with the littlest kids we might wade in with them. A winter walk along the beach is fantastic. When in the SW our greyhound loves the soft sand and water and it’s very therapeutic for her old aching bones. Sometimes we still take her up to 2 rocks, though she struggles with the walk on the path to the actual sand nowadays, the other dog beaches are much too busy. 
Down south at Gnarabup they have a chip van in Summer months at sunset. Attracts crowds taking pics and having a chippy dinner with a glass of wine on your picnic blanket. No need to go onto the beach itself. Countless other spots to enjoy photography, beachcombing, generally relaxing.  
Perth is really all about the beaches. Of course there’s more to life here but the coast is a big attraction and pull for many. Certainly suits my lifestyle. Part of the reason we are building a house in the South West too. Best of both worlds, country and coast. We are 6 mins drive from one of the best beaches in the state. Hamelin Bay. 

Edited by HappyHeart
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

While I agree there is great difficulty in parking, almost an impossible feat at Scarborough in summer,  I detect the difference from when i was a kid. People just as inclined to dine or drink coffee these days than go on the beach. 

I agree Cottesloe, during summer, with the surf living saving club dominating the beach, herding others into a small area to swim , is very painful and very dominant to say the least. Better off going to another beach in those instances. Take away those though, there's usually plenty of space, compared to what I recall as a child on Perth beaches, when all said and done the population was far, far smaller. 

The sunset bottle of wine and nibbles I have acknowledged as the only time people I know would go to a beach. We are avid beach goers regardless of the sun. Already people are asking me if been away on holiday as tanned up a bit. Hard not to staying stints of thirty to forty minutes at a time in the ocean.  

2 hours ago, Paul1Perth said:

I'm with you there. If Perth and surrounds wasn't near the ocean with good weather it would be just another City.

Another thing about Perth is how clean it always looks.

Yep. It's an ocean city. Or at least built around water. Perhaps a bit odd that the city proper (CBD) wasn't built where for example Cottesloe is located and facing the Indian Ocean. It would perhaps resemble then our' neighbouring' Indian ocean city of Durban.

3 hours ago, HappyHeart said:

Agree. There’s much more to the beach than ‘sunbathing’ though you do still see the leather handbags. 
We live about 20-25 mins from the nearest beach. Most weekends will involve either a coastal walk followed by coffee or lunch at a beach cafe. In Summer we might head down to cool off, read a book and have a wander along the beach. I tend not to swim but hubby and son snorkel. If I’m with the littlest kids we might wade in with them. A winter walk along the beach is fantastic. When in the SW our greyhound loves the soft sand and water and it’s very therapeutic for her old aching bones. Sometimes we still take her up to 2 rocks, though she struggles with the walk on the path to the actual sand nowadays, the other dog beaches are much too busy. 
Down south at Gnarabup they have a chip van in Summer months at sunset. Attracts crowds taking pics and having a chippy dinner with a glass of wine on your picnic blanket. No need to go onto the beach itself. Countless other spots to enjoy photography, beachcombing, generally relaxing.  
Perth is really all about the beaches. Of course there’s more to life here but the coast is a big attraction and pull for many. Certainly suits my lifestyle. Part of the reason we are building a house in the South West too. Best of both worlds, country and coast. We are 6 mins drive from one of the best beaches in the state. Hamelin Bay. 

Just as you see sun kissed , bronzed ever so slightly 'exotic' kinds of both genders. But true Perth outside of the beaches is very ordinary and hardly inspiring. Hemelin Bay would be far too limited for my liking. Would you really live there as opposed to holidaying? Plenty of localities claiming best beach status in state. Hard to see much between them IMO.