NSW to open 1st November

BusbyBoo

NSW have announced no Quarantine for vaccinated international travellers with a pre flight negative PCR test from 1st November. Unvaccinated will still hotel quarantine but with only 210 places available. Yay 😎

Would be a bit cheesed off if you arrived on the 30th October 🤣🤨.

Scott Morrison also announced international borders reopening to Citizens  and residents from 1st November so it seems coordinated and will put pressure on other states. Interestingly, Scott Morrison said initially it will only be citizens, residents and their families able to arrive quarantine free from 1st November, with “immediate family” likely to include parents of citizens and residents from next week - that will be popular!

It will be very interesting to see how this affects state borders and if pressure will build to reopen in other states when NSW residents are able to fly around the world on holiday and have family visit them. I browse a few Facebook groups for migrants and there is strong feeling around allowing parents to visit. Given the migrant population in places like WA, this could shift public opinion somewhat 

Edited by MacGyver

18 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

It will be very interesting to see how this affects state borders and if pressure will build to reopen in other states when NSW residents are able to fly around the world on holiday and have family visit them. I browse a few Facebook groups for migrants and there is strong feeling around allowing parents to visit. Given the migrant population in places like WA, this could shift public opinion somewhat 

As I keep saying, that assumes migrants with parents who want to travel, are a large percentage of the state's population.   We can look at migrant figures for each state but that doesn't tell us much.   Many older migrants have lost their parents.  Many, especially from poorer countries, can't afford to travel and go years without seeing each other even in normal times.  And some migrants left their home country specifically to get away from family!   

I'm sure Victoria will open soon because once they reach 80%, why wouldn't they.   I think WA and Tas are holding out for 90% last time I looked.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

As I keep saying, that assumes migrants with parents who want to travel, are a large percentage of the state's population.   We can look at migrant figures for each state but that doesn't tell us much.   Many older migrants have lost their parents.  Many, especially from poorer countries, can't afford to travel and go years without seeing each other even in normal times.  And some migrants left their home country specifically to get away from family!   

I'm sure Victoria will open soon because once they reach 80%, why wouldn't they.   I think WA and Tas are holding out for 90% last time I looked.

Steven Marshall has made lots of noise about SA opening up once 80% vaccinated, but that isn't likely to happen until early December at the earliest.  And the decision isn't actually his to make under current rules so it could be interesting to see what happens here.

• Like 1

At least this puts rest to the silly posts earlier in the year that borders would be closed until late 2023.

The plan was always to have it finished by end of this year and it will be delivered.

A feather in Scomo's cap and looks good for him for election next year.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I think 80% would be enough but there'll still be checks at the airport and quarantine when they come in.

I reckon if the international borders open the ones coming will be double jabbed, tested negative before they get on the plane. So, in theory should be pretty safe. The only dodgy bit is if they have to transit somewhere.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:

My Sister and probably nieces and families would be over asap. With a bit of luck we are about to get our money back from our flights we booked beginning of last year. All bar about $80 for some baggage insurance.

It's my wifes Dads 90th next year so she would like to go but is not desperate. We'd be happy if my sis could get here early next year maybe.

If flights are really going to be expensive we won't be going. Might go to Queensland again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...