WHV to Sponsored Residency

J4SON

Hi All,

First post! 

I’m interest in going to Australia and the plan is to stay as long as possible! I’d come initially on a WHV next year doing the 3 months regional work and exploring. In the second year I’d hope to look into getting work in my current profession (Insurance Agent) which is on the STSOL list and hope/make it clear to the employer that my goal is to be sponsored so I can extend my stay beyond the 2 years. 

Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route and has any advice? Or if anyone is in this profession and has any advice on what the job market is like over there? 

If your occupation is only on the STSOL, then I'd suggest timing your trip so you can do the farm work FIRST, then immediately start looking for a sponsor.  

The fact that your occupation is only on the STSOL is a worry.  It means it's regarded as not much in demand any more.   In fact if you find an employer in a capital city, you will not be allowed to apply for permanent residency, even if the employer is willing to sponsor you long-term.  You can renew the STSOL contract once, then you must go home. No way around it.

Currently, if your employer is in a regional area, they can sponsor you for permanency, BUT there is absolutely no guarantee that will still be the case in two or three years' time.  So that's why I say, the sooner you find an employer, the better your chances. 

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If your occupation is only on the STSOL, then I'd suggest timing your trip so you can do the farm work FIRST, then immediately start looking for a sponsor.  

The fact that your occupation is only on the STSOL is a worry.  It means it's regarded as not much in demand any more.   In fact if you find an employer in a capital city, you will not be allowed to apply for permanent residency, even if the employer is willing to sponsor you long-term.  You can renew the STSOL contract once, then you must go home. No way around it.

Currently, if your employer is in a regional area, they can sponsor you for permanency, BUT there is absolutely no guarantee that will still be the case in two or three years' time.  So that's why I say, the sooner you find an employer, the better your chances. 

Thanks Marisa,

What about the ROL list? Would your thoughts be the same if there’s a profession I could meet that’s on the ROL list only?

51 minutes ago, J4SON said:

What about the ROL list? Would your thoughts be the same if there’s a profession I could meet that’s on the ROL list only?

The ROL list is the same. It changes every year so you can't predict what it will be at the end of your WHV, other than to predict that it will be smaller.  They always cut and rarely add!