Red Rose

Living in New Zealand

Posted (edited)

Those Aussie citizens, would you ever consider living or retiring in NZ?

Edit: If you thought about it but decided against it, what put you off? 

Edited by Red Rose

NEVER!

Cheers, Bobj.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Bobj said:

NEVER!

Edited by ramot

On 06/10/2021 at 18:08, Red Rose said:

Those Aussie citizens, would you ever consider living or retiring in NZ?

Edit: If you thought about it but decided against it, what put you off? 

Yes we did think about it.  We've been to NZ for holidays and it is a beautiful country but even more expensive than Australia cost of living wise.  Our nephew lives in Queensland and the area around there is really nice and (until Covid) always very busy with tourists.  We looked at a few houses but quite simply they weren't worth the asking price.  What with that and the general cost of living there, we decided to give it a miss.

Stupidly british attitude to fishing...3 different licences ($12 each) to fish 1 km of a river that only holds non native fish; namely trout and redfin perch. and I can fish any river in Qld for nuffin'

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 2

Nope never thought of it ... but NZ is on our 'to do list' for a holiday

I just want PIO to be a happy place where people are nice to each other and unicorns poop rainbows

Yes, we've seriously thought about it. Unfortunately the cost of property and the expense of moving to another country put us off.

We'll have to make do with holidays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toots said:

Yes we did think about it.  We've been to NZ for holidays and it is a beautiful country but even more expensive than Australia cost of living wise.  Our nephew lives in Queensland and the area around there is really nice and (until Covid) always very busy with tourists.  We looked at a few houses but quite simply they weren't worth the asking price.  What with that and the general cost of living there, we decided to give it a miss.

Tsk,  I meant he lives in QUEENSTOWN NZ.  

Yes I agree with Drumbeat.  The expense of the move and the higher cost of living etc put us off.

Queenstown

queenstown snow.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful country, just way too small. I'd feel claustrophobic after awhile. Hailing from the second largest country in the world, I couldn't live in a country smaller than Australia.

On 09/10/2021 at 10:51, Canada2Australia said:

Beautiful country, just way too small. I'd feel claustrophobic after awhile. Hailing from the second largest country in the world, I couldn't live in a country smaller than Australia.

But NZ has a tiny population. I get the UK being claustrophobic with a population 2 X that of Canada but as NZ only as a population of 5 million I can't imagine it feeling claustrophobic. 

On 09/10/2021 at 15:47, Toots said:

Tsk,  I meant he lives in QUEENSTOWN NZ.  

Yes I agree with Drumbeat.  The expense of the move and the higher cost of living etc put us off.

Queenstown

queenstown snow.jpg

Queenstown is a playground for the rich and famous (up to a point), so one of the more expensive places in NZ.

I don't know how reliable it is, but this website reckons that the cost of living in Auckland is about the same as in Sydney, and that New Plymouth and Tauranga are about the same as Geelong or Wollongong for example.  Comparing roughly equivalent places.  Not clear whether it's taking income differences into account - or, as I say, how reliable it is in any case.

18 hours ago, Red Rose said:

But NZ has a tiny population. I get the UK being claustrophobic with a population 2 X that of Canada but as NZ only as a population of 5 million I can't imagine it feeling claustrophobic. 

It was more in reference to geographic size. Relatively speaking, NZ is very small and you don't have the ability to drive for days on end, travelling large distances (thousands and thousands of kilometres) and through a multitude of landscapes and ecosystems. That is the kind of country I love and prosper within. Both NZ and UK are just way too small and restrictive for me, personally.

Edited by Canada2Australia

That would be nearly as bad as having to live in the U.K…

• Haha 1

I'd love to come over to New Zealand, not to live but to visit. We used to go every couple of years or so before Covid. Now we have decided we will never go back and visit Europe again and not so sure about Asia ,either. We have done all that and now we will just visit New Zealand, rest of Australia and ,my favourite, Raratonga. Exception being a trip to Norfolk Island early next year which I am hoping and praying will still be 'on'. I got that claustrophobic feeling living in Tassie so probably would be the same in NZ were we to be resident there. 

• Like 1

I don't see the point of moving to New Zealand from Australia. Very similar country. What would be the point?

Buy a man eat fish. The Day, Teach Man, to lifetime.      - Joe Biden.

5 minutes ago, Parley said:

I don't see the point of moving to New Zealand from Australia. Very similar country. What would be the point?

I recall a Geordie fellow telling me years ago NZ was more favourable with regards to assets than Australia enabling him to get the pension there. Some prefer the climate and even heard that NZer's are mellower. 

The smallness or lack of great distances could be an advantage. But the sheer expense of cost of living and distance to most foreign places would rule living there out for me. 

42 minutes ago, Parley said:

It's not at all similar 😁. The geography and climate are very different and I've found Kiwi's much more friendly and laid back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drumbeat said:

I've found Kiwi's much more friendly and laid back.

to be fair, that does depend where you live in Australia and where you live in NZ.

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

My husband loved NZ .  He  went on motorcycle trips with his mates once or twice a year and regularly talked about moving there.  Said it reminded him of Tasmania in the '80s (which he considered preferable to more recent Tasmania.  😀)   However he died about 2 months before we were due to go on a "reccy" trip (by car) so it didn't eventuate.   I'm not sure how comfortable I would have felt about the vulnerability to earthquakes.    And I believe it is very difficult for "outsiders",  including Australians, to buy property there now.

• Sad 1

I found the kiwis and the Melbourne lot a lot friendlier than most Aussies. More worldly - less Aussie Aussie Aussie...

56 minutes ago, Skani said:

My husband loved NZ .  He  went on motorcycle trips with his mates once or twice a year and regularly talked about moving there.  Said it reminded him of Tasmania in the '80s (which he considered preferable to more recent Tasmania.  😀)   However he died about 2 months before we were due to go on a "reccy" trip (by car) so it didn't eventuate.   I'm not sure how comfortable I would have felt about the vulnerability to earthquakes.    And I believe it is very difficult for "outsiders",  including Australians, to buy property there now.

My brother loved New Zealand and tossed up whether to retire to Scotland or New Zealand after working for many years in the Middle East and Asia.  He bought a house in Queenstown NZ and used it for holidays for his family and friends.  Sadly he died before making the decision about where he would spend his retirement.  He bought the house about 20 years ago before the recent restrictions re foreign ownership.  His son now owns the house there.

• Like 1

I have family in Dunedin and the only thing they don't like is the weather.  It's certainly very beautiful and reminds me a little of England.  When I first went to visit there were fields of buttercups everywhere and plants in  people's gardens which also grew in England. I have thought about moving over there but have heard that the health system is not good unless you live in one of the larger cities and that people have had to travel from Dunedin to Christchurch (5 hours drive) to get cancer treatment.  This is important to me having recently had some health problems. Not sure I could cope with the winters though.  Also it's not as accessible as one would think as there are now no direct flights from where I live to Dunedin.

• Like 1