TSS Visa - School & Insurance Provisions

Sarkar R

Hello Everyone,

Hope you're doing well. My wife who is a Medical Professional has just received an offer from a company in Australia who are willing to provide a TSS Visa. I wanted to request for some clarifications.

• I have two children (10 & 4 years). We're just doing the math and wanted to check if school fees for my children would be covered in the TSS visa or would we have to pay for this ourselves?
  • I understand insurance expenses have to be borne by us. What would be the average insurance expenses we would have to prepare for?
  • What is the average Tax percentage while working on the TSS Visa?

I would really appreciate if you could please advise. We could then be able to respond to the job offer accordingly.

Thank you in advance!

What state are you going to. Not all have extra fees for schools. Having said that even public schools here are not free like in uk. You have to pay for books and equipment and other “admin” fees. 
Tax is same as for anyone on Aus earnings but any income from overseas is not taxed as a temporary resident. ATO website has plenty of info and tax calculator  

By insurance I assume you mean medical, if you are coming from UK you will be entitled to reciprocal Medicare once you are here so you do not Have to maintain health insurance. Again gov websites have loads of information. 

Is this going to be a temporary thing or do you intend to stay and get PR?

Edited by rammygirl

Fees rather depend on the state - NSW, ACT, WA and, I believe, SA all have fees for temporary visa holders and they can be around the $5k-10k per child pa, again depending on the state.

If you are not coming from UK or one of the other countries with reciprocal medical care then you will need private health insurance - could be around $500pm give or take. All other insurances - home, contents, car etc you will, of course, be liable for

@Sarkar R, what country do you currently live in?

Each state has different rules about school fees.  

You will need Overseas Health Cover (you are not eligible for the health insurance policies available to Australians):

https://www.medibank.com.au/overseas-health-insurance/

Be aware that the TSS is just a temporary visa, which allows you to stay in Australia while your partner is employed by the employer.  It is possible to apply for a permanent visa subsequently, but you should work out your finances based on it being just a short work contract at this stage, and make sure the employer will cover some of your relocation expenses to make it worthwhile.