Jump to content
Sarkar R

TSS Visa - School & Insurance Provisions

Recommended Posts

Hello Everyone,

Hope you're doing well. My wife who is a Medical Professional has just received an offer from a company in Australia who are willing to provide a TSS Visa. I wanted to request for some clarifications.

  • I have two children (10 & 4 years). We're just doing the math and wanted to check if school fees for my children would be covered in the TSS visa or would we have to pay for this ourselves?
  • I understand insurance expenses have to be borne by us. What would be the average insurance expenses we would have to prepare for?
  • What is the average Tax percentage while working on the TSS Visa?

I would really appreciate if you could please advise. We could then be able to respond to the job offer accordingly.

Thank you in advance!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

What state are you going to. Not all have extra fees for schools. Having said that even public schools here are not free like in uk. You have to pay for books and equipment and other “admin” fees. 
Tax is same as for anyone on Aus earnings but any income from overseas is not taxed as a temporary resident. ATO website has plenty of info and tax calculator  

By insurance I assume you mean medical, if you are coming from UK you will be entitled to reciprocal Medicare once you are here so you do not Have to maintain health insurance. Again gov websites have loads of information. 

Is this going to be a temporary thing or do you intend to stay and get PR?

Edited by rammygirl

So many wineries ......so little time :yes:

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fees rather depend on the state - NSW, ACT, WA and, I believe, SA all have fees for temporary visa holders and they can be around the $5k-10k per child pa, again depending on the state.

If you are not coming from UK or one of the other countries with reciprocal medical care then you will need private health insurance - could be around $500pm give or take. All other insurances - home, contents, car etc you will, of course, be liable for

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

See what the prospective employer is willing to cover.

Westly Russell Registered Migration Agent 0316072 www.pinoyau.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sarkar R, what country do you currently live in?

Each state has different rules about school fees.  

You will need Overseas Health Cover (you are not eligible for the health insurance policies available to Australians):


Be aware that the TSS is just a temporary visa, which allows you to stay in Australia while your partner is employed by the employer.  It is possible to apply for a permanent visa subsequently, but you should work out your finances based on it being just a short work contract at this stage, and make sure the employer will cover some of your relocation expenses to make it worthwhile.  

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now