Travel facilitation letter - will it get revoked, causing thousands of problems

letmeinsoon

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with seeking an extension on the initial entry date, without the use of the Travel Facilitation Letter? Maybe before the pandemic?

The Greens are doing something sensible and asking that thousands of us with visas expiring at the end of the year or early next year are allowed additional time to plan our entry in to Australia.

Personally I will find it very difficult if Immigration are told to remove the travel facilitation letter ability because Government say everything has gone back to normal, I’m very concerned this may happen.

Please let me know if you’ve had experience with this.

22 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

Nobody can possibly have had experience of this yet.   If limits are removed then I do think you'll have a very hard time justifying any further delays in moving.

You cannot close the borders for a year, (the entry period on most visas) and then expect people to enter with days left on their visas, at the drop of a hat. It’s unconscionable.

You do realise it’s quite normal to have 3 months notice on employment contracts these days? How will it be possible for someone to organise everything ‘suddenly’ who has had multiple cancelled flights and travel plans disrupted for the last year?

Edited by letmeinsoon

27 minutes ago, Quoll said:

You expect sympathy from Government? Why should they? They have plenty of citizens to worry about without worrying about the citizens of other countries who may want to visit.

What an attitude for a forum that supports visa applicants.

I’m a visa holder concerned about the extension letter, and whether they will continue. I want to enter Australia, pay taxes, and support the economy.

Just a basic question: is it fair someone with a 300 subclass visa expiring in 3 months can apply for an additional 12 months onto their entry date as of today, but (potentially) as of November, thousands won’t be able to - forcing them hours, days or weeks to enter by their initial entry date?

No.

Edited by letmeinsoon

7 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

The Greens are doing something sensible and asking that thousands of us with visas expiring at the end of the year or early next year are allowed additional time to plan our entry in to Australia.

Personally I will find it very difficult if Immigration are told to remove the travel facilitation letter ability because Government say everything has gone back to normal, I’m very concerned this may happen.

There’s a big difference between “visas expiring” and missing the initial entry date. It’s unclear which you are talking about. If it’s an initial entry date, then I see no reason that the Department will not continue to be light touch on this for the foreseeable future. If it’s a visa expiry - that’s much harder to avoid. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

What an attitude for a forum that supports visa applicants.

I’m a visa holder concerned about the extension letter, and whether they will continue. I want to enter Australia, pay taxes, and support the economy.

Just a basic question: is it fair someone with a 300 subclass visa expiring in 3 months can apply for an additional 12 months onto their entry date as of today, but (potentially) as of November, thousands won’t be able to - forcing them hours, days or weeks to enter by their initial entry date?

No.

Big difference between the way posters on a forum may feel sympathetic, and the way governments do. Governments - especially the Australian one - are not big on sympathy towards anyone, as their hard line on keeping families apart for the last 20+ months should tell you. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

Just a basic question: is it fair someone with a 300 subclass visa expiring in 3 months can apply for an additional 12 months onto their entry date as of today...

You didn't ask if it was fair.  That's a different question altogether. You asked what we thought might happen, adn that's a question about the government's attitude, not ours.

As Paul says, the facilitation letter is for those who can't make first entry.   If your visa is expiring, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

Edited by Marisawright

22 hours ago, paulhand said:

There’s a big difference between “visas expiring” and missing the initial entry date. It’s unclear which you are talking about. If it’s an initial entry date, then I see no reason that the Department will not continue to be light touch on this for the foreseeable future. If it’s a visa expiry - that’s much harder to avoid. 

So, initial entry dates are initial entry dates. If you don't make that date, doesn't the Visa expire? Hence... a Visa expiry? How are the two things different?

6 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

If you don't make that date, doesn't the Visa expire?

No it doesn’t. 

6 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

How are the two things different?

There are 2 dates on your grant letter: “For first entry, arrive by” and  “Must not arrive after” or similar, depending on the exact grant letter. The former is the “initial entry date” -  back in the day (pre covid) this was the date your medicals or police checks expired and by which you needed to have ‘activated’ your visa.  These days it’s a year from grant and they are happy to ‘extend’ it via the facilitation letter.

The latter is the date your visa expires. 

• Like 2

On 02/10/2021 at 21:23, paulhand said:

No it doesn’t. 

There are 2 dates on your grant letter: “For first entry, arrive by” and  “Must not arrive after” or similar, depending on the exact grant letter. The former is the “initial entry date” -  back in the day (pre covid) this was the date your medicals or police checks expired and by which you needed to have ‘activated’ your visa.  These days it’s a year from grant and they are happy to ‘extend’ it via the facilitation letter.

The latter is the date your visa expires. 

I have an initial entry date, which expires in the new year. I do not have a 'must not arrive after' date anywhere on the document, nor an expiry date, just a 'submit class 100' as its a partner visa. I have a length of stay that is equal to the assessment date of that subclass 100.

9 hours ago, paulhand said:

I explained how your visa works, but if you don’t want my advice that’s absolutely fine. 

Perhaps you are unclear on whether the travel facilitation letter causes a complication with processing the subclass 100 because the applicant has not entered Australia?

309 Grant date > 1 year after the grant, applicant has not entered Australia > extension by 1 year (via travel facilitation letter) > subclass 100 due 1-1.5 years after 309 grant date > Visa expires, meaning you actually only get 6 months extra to enter, not 12 months.

Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, letmeinsoon said:

Perhaps you are unclear on whether the travel facilitation letter causes a complication with processing the subclass 100 because the applicant has not entered Australia?

I’m very clear they are unrelated. 

1 hour ago, letmeinsoon said:

309 Grant date > 1 year after the grant, applicant has not entered Australia > extension by 1 year (via travel facilitation letter) > subclass 100 due 1-1.5 years after 309 grant date > Visa expires, meaning you actually only get 6 months extra to enter, not 12 months.

The facilitation letter is purely a letter that will confirm to the airline that you will still be permitted to enter Australia even though the initial entry date has passed. 

Processing commences on your 100 2 years after you lodged the original application. This make take many months to process. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, letmeinsoon said:

Am I missing something?

Paul is an experienced migration agent with an excellent reputation on this site. If there is confusion or a lack of clarity, it is not coming from Paul.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paulhand said:

I’m very clear they are unrelated. 

The facilitation letter is purely a letter that will confirm to the airline that you will still be permitted to enter Australia even though the initial entry date has passed. 

Processing commences on your 100 2 years after you lodged the original application. This make take many months to process. 

Thanks Paul.