Jump to content
Rosiejules

Suburbs 30 mins train commute to Brisbane

Recommended Posts

Hi Me & my family are thinking of moving from Victoria to Queensland after Christmas. My son is 12 and will be starting high school. Looking for safe suburbs and reasonably priced rental accommodation. Approx 30 mins train ride to the city. We love the beach so not too far inland. TIA

Jules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No the job is in the city, don’t need to live right next to the beach but easy to get to at weekends would be good 😊 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Northern suburbs are generally considered to be better and a covered by a good public transport network. Personally I like Sandgate and the surrounding suburbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are there any decent high schools in the area? We don’t mind paying for a private school if necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry - I don't really know.  I don't have kids so it's not something I take notice of.

Edited by JetBlast

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2021 at 09:34, Rosiejules said:

Hi Me & my family are thinking of moving from Victoria to Queensland after Christmas. My son is 12 and will be starting high school. Looking for safe suburbs and reasonably priced rental accommodation. Approx 30 mins train ride to the city. We love the beach so not too far inland. TIA

Jules

Good move! I'm sure you won't regret it.

There aren't many bad suburbs in Brisbane (it's not like Sydney and Melbourne), so it does comes down to what you can afford. Be warned there appears to be a distinct lack of affordable rental accommodation in S E Queensland at the moment (if you listen to the media), so I'd plan in advance. What's you rental budget?

North-west and western suburbs are the most affluent, but not that far west that you reach Ipswich - that's a place to avoid. Also avoid Inala, Springwood, and Logan - and any suburbs in the surrounding areas. Brisbane is 1 hour drive from the northern end of the Gold Coast or 1.5 hours to the Sunshine Coast, so many choose to live half way between to be closer to the coast for the weekends. However, once you get into the Morton Bay areas (either north or south) it can get a bit rough - particularly the schools - so that's worth bearing in mind. This map is a few years old, but it might help with the suburbs.

image.png.ed60c92bb473b3b7b6496472d792fe11.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/10/2021 at 11:39, Rosiejules said:

Are there any decent high schools in the area? We don’t mind paying for a private school if necessary.

For state schools, check the ICSEA rating on the MySchool website. Any school rated 1050 or above is usually a decent school in a good area.

https://myschool.edu.au/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2021 at 00:34, Rosiejules said:

Hi Me & my family are thinking of moving from Victoria to Queensland after Christmas. My son is 12 and will be starting high school. Looking for safe suburbs and reasonably priced rental accommodation. Approx 30 mins train ride to the city. We love the beach so not too far inland. TIA

Jules

Hi, 

Wondering if you made the move and thoughts on schools. We have similar ideals to you, although my children are younger. 

My son will start primary school in Feb/March, we will move in January. 

Working CBD and would like to be near to coast rather than inland. 

We have been looking at Sandgate and Victoria Point but only from info online and local knowledge is far better. 

Thanks, Ashley 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ashley

we looked into high school performance table & which private schools had places available so we ended up looking in Manly West area. We are living in Wakerley. We prefer being costal too. We have friends that live in Victoria Point, if it wasn’t for my sons school we would probably move there. However it’s a longer commute to the city. You get much more house for your money. Manly train station to city is about 1 hour commute to CBD door to door. I don’t know anything about Sandgate sorry. 
 

I would say VP is 1.5 hrs commute by train. We’re looking at buying in Birkdale, not too far from city but more house for your money than Manly & Wynnum areas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/09/2022 at 01:38, Rosiejules said:

Hi Ashley

we looked into high school performance table & which private schools had places available so we ended up looking in Manly West area. We are living in Wakerley. We prefer being costal too. We have friends that live in Victoria Point, if it wasn’t for my sons school we would probably move there. However it’s a longer commute to the city. You get much more house for your money. Manly train station to city is about 1 hour commute to CBD door to door. I don’t know anything about Sandgate sorry. 
 

I would say VP is 1.5 hrs commute by train. We’re looking at buying in Birkdale, not too far from city but more house for your money than Manly & Wynnum areas

Thanks for the info. I have also started looking at Birkdale and it looks really promising. 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/10/2021 at 08:28, Wanderer Returns said:

Good move! I'm sure you won't regret it.

There aren't many bad suburbs in Brisbane (it's not like Sydney and Melbourne), so it does comes down to what you can afford. Be warned there appears to be a distinct lack of affordable rental accommodation in S E Queensland at the moment (if you listen to the media), so I'd plan in advance. What's you rental budget?

North-west and western suburbs are the most affluent, but not that far west that you reach Ipswich - that's a place to avoid. Also avoid Inala, Springwood, and Logan - and any suburbs in the surrounding areas. Brisbane is 1 hour drive from the northern end of the Gold Coast or 1.5 hours to the Sunshine Coast, so many choose to live half way between to be closer to the coast for the weekends. However, once you get into the Morton Bay areas (either north or south) it can get a bit rough - particularly the schools - so that's worth bearing in mind. This map is a few years old, but it might help with the suburbs.

image.png.ed60c92bb473b3b7b6496472d792fe11.png

That map bears almost no resemblance to current prices tbh. realestate.com will give you a good idea of rentals. The train services, and the bus service with its dedicated tunnels, are excellent so while you could spend a lot of money in somewhere like Ascot, Clayfield or Hendra, another ten mins on transport will see you able to afford much more in terms of housing. We live in a nice rental on a good street in Wavell Heights with a city view, pool, 4 beds and an office and rent is moving to $1100/wk in the new year.

I would say this as a cyclist, have you considered rolling into the city on a bike? The bike paths are very good and most days of the year you could roll in comfortably.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×