Australian TV - the best and the worst?

Wanderer Returns

12 minutes ago, Paul1Perth said:

To be fair we watch quite a few shows on ABC and SBS. They are mostly UK documentaries or drama, much better than American formulated rubbish. Their news is dire though. Seems to have got worse since Ita Buttrose has been in charge.

I don't see how. She has been in the difficult position of defending the ABC from government attack and right wing misinformation. No easy position to hold. Some good talent has departed. 

12 hours ago, Bulya said:

Replaced by ex Murdoch hacks…

Now there's a name that should raise the ire of fair minded, real news lovers . For disinformation hard to beat. Only fault of the ABC in general is the loss of funding and outside pressure to influence policy, which has under mined it to an extent and lost talent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Flu said:

Now there's a name that should raise the ire of fair minded, real news lovers . For disinformation hard to beat. Only fault of the ABC in general is the loss of funding and outside pressure to influence policy, which has under mined it to an extent and lost talent.

One only has to watch Insiders to see what’s happened. 

• Like 1

ABC show 'Landline' is something I've watched over the last 30 years.  Maybe because I'm far more of a country person than a city person, I find it more interesting than a lot of other shows.  The program discusses rural issues ranging across agri-politics and economics, business and product innovation, animal and crop science, regional infrastructure, climate and weather trends, regional and rural services, music and lifestyle.

Another program I enjoy is Backroads.

landline.jpg

Edited by Toots
  • Like 1

If anyone is interested there is a 4 part series 'Us' starting on ABC tonight at 8:20.  It's about a husband, wife and son on a three week Continental train trip with their teenage son.  The wife is fed up of her married life and hopes the trip may change things for the better.

According to the cast of the show, 'Us' has the backdrop of some of the most beautiful places in Europe.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Toots said:

If anyone is interested there is a 4 part series 'Us' starting on ABC tonight at 8:20.  It's about a husband, wife and son on a three week Continental train trip with their teenage son.  The wife is fed up of her married life and hopes the trip may change things for the better.

According to the cast of the show, 'Us' has the backdrop of some of the most beautiful places in Europe.

Definitely om my watch list if not home will record. It does sound good and location should further enhance the viewing.

• 1 month later...
On 24/09/2021 at 10:04, Wanderer Returns said:

If anyone has any recommendations of good things to watch on Aussie TV, then I'd be interested to know.

Mmmm

No, not really

Been here since 1995, and never really found much I like to watch.

Then again, only just got myself a new telly, after a ten year absence.

Signed up to Netflix, although not found much on that either (currently re-watching the entire series of : Stranger Things. Locke & Key. Death in Paradise. How to Get Away with Murder)

Also started on BritBox ; but struggling there too.

The only Aussie shows (past and new) I like and tend to watch are things like : Round the Twist. Rake. Rockwiz. Spicks & Specks. Harrow. Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. The Food Lovers' Guide to Australia.

Watched a couple of Aussie made for telly series, which I quite liked. One was called The Dry. And the other Bloom.

Otherwise, I am a bit stumped.

On 26/09/2021 at 15:55, Ken said:

The show's I've been watching recently include Vigil (Foxtel), War of the Worlds (SBS), The Newsreader (ABC), Traces (ABC) and Question Everything (ABC). I'm a fan of both Shaun Micallef's Mad as Hell and the Weekly with Charlie Pickering but they're not on at the moment. Gruen will be back soon though.

Although I've listed it I'm not actually very impressed with the 2nd series of War of the the Worlds - can't make up my mind if the scriptwriters are idiots or they are trying to subtly demonstrate that what we are seeing is a parallel earth - one which is demonstrably more technically advanced because they've develop insulin that doesn't need refrigeration but demonstrably less technically advanced because they still use bottles and syringes to deliver insulin (something I haven't seen in the last quarter of a century).

We love Gruen!