Australian TV - the best and the worst?

Wanderer Returns

15 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

I managed about half an episode of that I think. Couldn’t get on with it.

I think it was called Sin City??? Set in Canberra. That was good. Only saw the first series whilst I was in Australia, so over 3 years ago but someone I work with says there’s a second series on Netflix here. It’s called something different in the uk than Oz, so not sure if sin city is the here or there title! 🙈

Sounds like you are describing a show that on UK Netflix is called Secret City.  Series one covers the death of a political aide who was the former husband of a reporter.  Is that the show?  It's pretty good.

3 hours ago, FirstWorldProblems said:

Sounds like you are describing a show that on UK Netflix is called Secret City.  Series one covers the death of a political aide who was the former husband of a reporter.  Is that the show?  It's pretty good.

That’s the one! Secret City, yes that’s it! 

• 2 weeks later...

I can't vouch for any Australian TV. Not only are there no decent programs I would suggest anyone watch, but if there were, watching them on the actual live feed if hard work. A 45 minute show takes over an hour to watch. The adverts are repetitive too! 

UK Tv is 100% better no doubt about it. 

People who watch "Have You Been Paying Attention" need lining up and shot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/10/2021 at 17:51, Jack91 said:

I can't vouch for any Australian TV. Not only are there no decent programs I would suggest anyone watch, but if there were, watching them on the actual live feed if hard work. A 45 minute show takes over an hour to watch. The adverts are repetitive too! 

UK Tv is 100% better no doubt about it. 

People who watch "Have You Been Paying Attention" need lining up and shot. 

We got into SAS Australia that finished last week but used to record it and fast forward through the ads and padding.

Not often I watch the telly but I thought I'd try Annika on ABC last night.  It's a British crime thing set in Glasgow.  Didn't think much of it so I won't be watching it again. 👎  Wasn't helped that I don't care for the actress (Nicola Walker) who is Annika the main character.

Does anyone actually sit and watch the dross that is classed as reality shows?  That and those "talent" contest things e.g. America's/Australia's/Britain's Got Talent.  😖

Edited by Toots

23 hours ago, Toots said:

Not often I watch the telly but I thought I'd try Annika on ABC last night.  It's a British crime thing set in Glasgow.  Didn't think much of it so I won't be watching it again. 👎  Wasn't helped that I don't care for the actress (Nicola Walker) who is Annika the main character.

Does anyone actually sit and watch the dross that is classed as reality shows?  That and those "talent" contest things e.g. America's/Australia's/Britain's Got Talent.  😖

I'll give that a chance as I like Nicola Walker, usually. Thought Unforgotten was really good and she was the main character, backed up by other good actors though.

On 16/10/2021 at 13:54, Toots said:

I gave it a shot and like you disliked it. The answer must lay in the affirmative. Besides being non taxing on the brain, they are cheap to make so easy lucre for the stations. 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2021 at 15:54, Toots said:

I won’t be watching Annika again, I usually rate rate UK crime series highly, but this first episode left me cold. 

I don’t watch reality programs, have better things to do with my time, The only one I do admit to watching was the farmer wants a wife, but was disappointed with the last series. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

SBS last night, after watching Coastal Devon and Cornwall with Michael Portillo which is a very nice series, we watched Billion Pound Bond Street.  Anybody else watch it?  Blimey the rent on those shops is massive.  The standout person for me was Ollie Claridge who is the only person who actually lives in Bond Street now.  He has a protected lease on his Bond Street flat which he inherited from his father.

3 hours ago, Toots said:

SBS last night, after watching Coastal Devon and Cornwall with Michael Portillo which is a very nice series, we watched Billion Pound Bond Street.  Anybody else watch it?  Blimey the rent on those shops is massive.  The standout person for me was Ollie Claridge who is the only person who actually lives in Bond Street now.  He has a protected lease on his Bond Street flat which he inherited from his father.

No. But watched Coastal Devon and Cornwall. Enjoy most travel shows and Michael Portillo's are no exception. The Greek Islands on at the moment  also. The presenter is so full of enthusiasm, being of half Greek heritage.   

Not sure why anyone would want Netflix, with SBS on demand and so on. Unless avid tv watchers I suppose. I could not imagine TV without sub titles. So much of the best is Nordic , but also the international films on SBS have some great offerings. Cinema must be very limited for non sub title viewers. 

57 minutes ago, Blue Flu said:

Not sure why anyone would want Netflix, with SBS on demand and so on. Unless avid tv watchers I suppose. I could not imagine TV without sub titles. So much of the best is Nordic , but also the international films on SBS have some great offerings. Cinema must be very limited for non sub title viewers. 

Yes, SBS is my channel of choice.  I'm not a great telly viewer anyway but SBS has most stuff I'm actually interested in.  Agree about the international films.  The subtitles don't bother me at all and I've noticed SBS has really clear easy to read subtitles.  Saves having to wear my specs to see what's going on

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blue Flu said:

No. But watched Coastal Devon and Cornwall. Enjoy most travel shows and Michael Portillo's are no exception. The Greek Islands on at the moment  also. The presenter is so full of enthusiasm, being of half Greek heritage.   

Julia Bradbury is the presenter, I read that she had to have an emergency mastectomy last Monday, hope she recovers fully.

Edited by ToowoombaBlue
Grammar!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

Julia Bradbury is the presenter, I read that she had to have an emergency mastectomy last Monday, hope she recovers fully.

Hope she does too!

I've got a stack of DVDs of her Wainwright Walks and Britain's Best Walks.  I have Alfred Wainwright's book Guide To The Lakeland Fells which my parents gave me when I went off to work in the Lake District for 3 years.  It was a well used book and I was so pleased when Julia did most of those walks for a TV show.  Felt like I was walking with her.  😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ToowoombaBlue said:

Very true. Only 51, but of course this disease can strike at any age. I read that she is recovering well in hospital. I happened across this just after she was diagnosed., Initial reaction obviously one of severe shock. 

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Hope she does too!

I've got a stack of DVDs of her Wainwright Walks and Britain's Best Walks.  I have Alfred Wainwright's book Guide To The Lakeland Fells which my parents gave me when I went off to work in the Lake District for 3 years.  It was a well used book and I was so pleased when Julia did most of those walks for a TV show.  Felt like I was walking with her.  😀

I've got some of her Wainwright walks as well. Not mentioned previously was her South African walks which were good as well. 

On 17/10/2021 at 14:27, ramot said:

I won’t be watching Annika again, I usually rate rate UK crime series highly, but this first episode left me cold. 

I don’t watch reality programs, have better things to do with my time, The only one I do admit to watching was the farmer wants a wife, but was disappointed with the last series. 

We quite enjoyed Vigil on the bbc if you haven’t watched it.

• Like 2

On 17/10/2021 at 15:50, Paul1Perth said:

I'll give that a chance as I like Nicola Walker, usually. Thought Unforgotten was really good and she was the main character, backed up by other good actors though.

Don't bother! One episode was enough even though I like her. Anything where the characters talk to the camera I find extremely annoying. I've taken to streaming SBS despite the ads which are nowhere near as long as watching live. If you don't mind sub titles there's a lot of very good Scandinavian Noir programmes.

• Like 1

On 30/10/2021 at 11:30, Jon the Hat said:

We quite enjoyed Vigil on the bbc if you haven’t watched it.

Nearly signed up for Binge on the strength of that programme but pulled in the purse strings before I did. No doubt it'll appear on ABC or a streaming network at some time or other just as Dr Foster did.

I'm on the 2nd series of "The Bay" on Stan atm as I love to see the scenes of Morecambe where I used to fish almost every weekend when I lived in Garstang.